Deutz Diesel Engines? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Deutz Diesel Engines?

[ QUOTE ]
I think Ford had an air cooled Deutz in the 70's and 80's. I didn't know GM had one as well. Too bad they hadn't stuck with it instead of the worthless 6.2L of the 80's with the two bolt main. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img] Too bad this one is such a wreck, would make an interesting collectors piece.

Chris M

[/ QUOTE ] wrong! the 6.2 engines had 4 bolt mains.collection piece? yea i guess your correct,i have owned 6, 6.2 powered vehicles,still got 4 of them.mileage any where from 120k to 379k.out of those 6 trucks i have had to open the engine up on one of them to replace a head gasket,considering the life style they live,thats a good track record. back on the deutz topic,most are very good engines. gm did offer a duetz option in its medium duty line back in the early 80,s . it was a good engine,but didnt sell well.
the fleet; ferds ,02'f350,01'f450.the generals ,82'2500, 82'2500 4x4, 82' blazer, 86' blazer ,93'3500, 96'3500, and a 99' 3500hd with 12 valve cummins power. the goats, 90'd250, 91'd350 4x4, 05'3500. all are diesel powered. a list of bigger stuff, as well as gasser's, got lucky, wife comes from a family that collects junk iron too!
navistar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2005, 06:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have some pics that I took when I was in Germany in the early sixties of a road grader with a Deutz aircooled V8 diesel in it with twin stacks coming up out of the engine nacelle.
I was in the 58th Engineers and although the grader was an US Military unit it was assigned to subpost and it always had an german national operator assigned to it whenever we had need of its services.I did get to run their D7 occasionally when my TD18 was down.
I always did a doubletake when I looked through the grill where the radiator should have been and saw daylight.
It sounded pretty healthy and since the diesels I was used to from that era in the USA were water cooled I often wondered how long a hair brained scheme like that would run.If I only knew,it might still be running...LOL
I have read someplace,mind you I only read this and do not know it to be true but it has been said that Deutz does not sell parts for the bottom end of some of their engines because they are built so well that they never fail.Now I am not saying that I believe that the engine could be run without oil for an extended period of time and not fail but what I am saying is that they have so few requests for those parts that they are not a stock item available on short notice over the counter.
I also have gained a measure of respect for the Hatz diesels that you will find in some construction equipment over the last few years,they are also aircooled and are built very well. Ron G
Pentastar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2005, 08:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

I was stationed in Germany as well. I grew up on a farm so when we had a chance to get a nice apartment in a farming village, I snapped it up. This gave me a chance to look at how they do things over there pretty close. As well, I worked on the base in the telephone central office that was all German equipment with a mixture of some American equipment to hook the different American bases together. So here are a few observations that I made about their ability to build quality equipment in general. But note that over the last few years I think they've lost their edge in this regard. I know, I know, they don't build things like they used to, but when I see companies like Mercedes and BMW's quality slide like it has, that's an indication that something is amiss.

The fact that those old Deutz diesel engines hold up as well as they do is a testiment to their engineering. Air-cooled engines aren't supposed to last as long as water-cooled engines. Air-cooling was meant for lawnmowers and rotortillers, not heavy duty equipment like road graders, farm tractors and over-the-road trucks. Every engineer knows that water-cooling stabilizes temperatures, expansion and contraction thus allowing closer tolerances and quieter operation. And it's the extremely high temperatures can lead to the breakdown of boundry layer lubrication thus allowing direct metal to metal contact and eventual destruction. But then there is Deutz. Yeah, Duetz engines are noisy, but they are pretty much indestructible as long as they are maintained.

Case in point, I bought a new 1979 BMW motorcycle while stationed in Germany. Still got it. I was amazed at the fit and finish and how well everything worked on the motorcycle. Air cooled opposed twin with the cylinders hanging out into the air stream where they received an unrestricted air flow. The opposed cylinders move in and out at the same time, thus canceling out most of the vibration. Dry clutch, five speed tranny with it's own lube supply. And a drive shaft. What a solid design. And it's the same basic design they have had since 1923. And I still have the bike and over 100,000 miles on it. And it's still just as tight as the day I rode if off the dealer's lot.

Even in our telephone exchange, the German equipment, built in the 50's, was amazing to look at and work with. Cables were laced precisely, flowing from the cable racks down to the equipment. There was no wasted space in the racks where all the relays and components were located. And this little exchanges sang from 7:00 in the morning until 7:00 at night. Loaded probably to 300% of what it's capacity should have been. But seriously, the American equipment up against it looked like junk. Haphazardly installed, cables everywhere, and it required constant attention. And the old Germans that worked there maintained the German equipment and I maintained the American.

The automobiles were something else I marveled at. Especially the old Mercedes gas and diesels. And especially the diesels in the 240D and 300D models. Those old Mercedes seemed like they were hewn from a single block of steel. The way the doors shut and how the controls worked. No frills, just form and function. A testament to quality engineering which the Germans were know for.

As the old saying goes about the Germans, they aren't the greatest cooks or known to be the greatest lovers but give them some tools and materials.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

We do top end overhauls on Deutz's regularly. I have not heard of any we cannot get bottom end parts for, but we have to order them so rarely I guess it is possible. Some of our engines have had the top ends done twice, and the bottoms have never been opened.

Fuel economy wise the closest comparison I have is the F3L912 in a 185CFM compressor vs John Deere or Isuzu. Deutz burns 2.54, JD burns 4.2*, and the Isuzu is right up there @ 4.12. Not even close...

BTW, forget the crapa filters on em. We gave up on them years ago due to poor quality and filtration properties. Went OEM only, the difference in our repair bills was astounding. We now use OEM only on all our equipment and vehicles.

2004 F250/6.0/CC/Auto... Not exactly loving life anymore, gave back to momma ford..

2005 F350SRW/6.0/CC/Auto/FX4... OOPS, I left it on his lot. NO tolerance for stealers that try and screw me..

06 F350SRW/6.0/Auto.CC/LWB/4x4 ordered 5/4/05.. VIN recieved 5/17/05. Truck on the dealers floor 6/15/05

5/18/07 49k FLAWLESS miles.. I love this truck

11/17/07: 59k miles: EGR hiccup.. Still love this truck

12/14/09: 95k HARD working Miles.. Front cover puked water, dropped off at dealer, part backordered.. Still love this truck
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well I have a Deutz 80 06 that I inherited about 10 yrs ago. It was bought new in 1979 and used HEAVY till 90s. There has only been top end work done on engine. I drove it Sunday for hauling water. Just over 7050hrs. It is the quietest most economical engine I have ever used. No worries about antifreeze. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It is a wonderful hobby tractor now. I have the duals but have not used them since 90. It is becomming a either pig. If temp below 40 it needs a snort to start. Dang reliable engine.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #21 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies. The Deutz engines look very impressive, I would like to get one for a project I'm building. But, the prices I've been quoted by dealers are quite high: $5000 to $7800! I may have to look at MWM or Isuzu engines instead.
416Rigby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 04:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

What kind of ponies are you looking for??? Kurt
Old 07-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

I'm looking for something in the 40hp to 60hp range, to turn a generator at 1800rpm. I'd like to get it in a power-unit, if possible.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:46 AM   #24 (permalink)

Be very careful with the starting fluid... Tends to stretch the head studs, soon you will hear that familiar popping noise on cold starts that indicates it's time to pull and reseal a jug or three..

Deutz engines hold their value even used. I may have a complete 60ish HP floating around, but we get pretty good money for them even used. I have a 6 cylinder if you really want a serious generator....

2004 F250/6.0/CC/Auto... Not exactly loving life anymore, gave back to momma ford..

2005 F350SRW/6.0/CC/Auto/FX4... OOPS, I left it on his lot. NO tolerance for stealers that try and screw me..

06 F350SRW/6.0/Auto.CC/LWB/4x4 ordered 5/4/05.. VIN recieved 5/17/05. Truck on the dealers floor 6/15/05

5/18/07 49k FLAWLESS miles.. I love this truck

11/17/07: 59k miles: EGR hiccup.. Still love this truck

12/14/09: 95k HARD working Miles.. Front cover puked water, dropped off at dealer, part backordered.. Still love this truck
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks, but I think I'll stick to a new unit. How do Hatz engines compare to Deutz?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

I think Hatz builds much smaller engines than Deutz typically

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #27 (permalink)

Yep, the Hatz engines are smaller, but they have a pretty slick design. Their SilentPack units are supposed to be very quiet. Wish I could find more info on them.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

Deutz BF6L913

I just purchased I have a Deutz BF6L913 and I would like to know more about them. Where is the best place to find good info on it. I would like to put in in a pickup truck and need to know what to use for a bell-housing.
Any help with this engine would be appreciated.
chuck767 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck767 View Post
I just purchased I have a Deutz BF6L913 and I would like to know more about them. Where is the best place to find good info on it. I would like to put in in a pickup truck and need to know what to use for a bell-housing.
BTW this is a 6 cylinder air cooled turbocharged engine.
chuck767 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.