The Diesel Stop banner

Diesel drives industries wheels..they're falling off

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Kaliburz 
#1 ·
The price of diesel, has too, at some point begin to affect how we live, drive and recreate.....
I've been driving less, and have parked my TT camper....

I can't afford $100/day diesel travel, with my camper....

Diesel coach motor homes, have to begin taking a hit...SOOONNN!!

THIS WEBSITE, IS APPROPRIATETELY NAMED: The Diesel Stop...

The price of diesel is going to stop a lot of people from driving....>>>>>>""" ME """"<<<<<<<<<

#2 ·
What is the point of this post? Yea, diesel has went up,, gas has too. (Ever been overseas? I was in Japan in 1985!!! And fuel there was over 1.30L then.... Which would have been near 4.00 a GALLON...) I am not saying I like paying these prices, but America has been spoiled for sure.

#3 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimTJr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the point of this post? Yea, diesel has went up,, gas has too. (Ever been overseas? I was in Japan in 1985!!! And fuel there was over 1.30L then.... Which would have been near 4.00 a GALLON...) I am not saying I like paying these prices, but America has been spoiled for sure. </div></div>

The price of EVERYTHING has gone UP!
When I was paying 30 cents a gallon for gas, my hourly wage was 1.65/hr so it's all relative.
What's killing us the fact that the oil companies have decided to even things out ALL AT ONCE!

#4 ·
The relative costs of fuels here and places overseas isn't very different. Overseas they tax the ever-luvin' stuffin' out of fuel. Apparently the fur'ners like it; they keep coming back for more. They dream of a bigger, better gub'mint leading them to utopia, what they get are market forces pushing people to the dole and drawing immigrants explicitly FOR the dole. Crime and waste come as a surprise in these circumstances only to those that naively believe that people are inherently good.

#5 ·
You are right, and I get tired of people comparing the fuel price here to the price in Japan or Italy, etc. They have NONE of their oil resources in country. Totally set of circumstances.
The thread starter was correct, too. If you don't like the price, park it or eat it it.

#6 ·
If I was driving a long distance on the highway 20+mpg at $3.45/gal would be too much to take, but 18mpg tooling around the city with only the occasional highway trip or trailer tow is still doable. Except that gas is around 50 cents cheaper per gallon, the city fuel mileage is not much different from my little '85 Pontiac V6 automatic and better than my wifes '99 Blazer.

#7 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montanafan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you don't like the price, park it or eat it it. </div></div>
Some of us can't just park it. Our trucks are our bread and butter. Here in Michigan wages have been stagnate. I have not seen a pay increase in four years, yet the price of everything including fuel has gone up by leaps and bounds.
The thing I really have a hard time with is the price difference between diesel and RUG. In Lansing Mi it is approaching $1.00. Almost a dollar more foe diesel at some stations. Something just ain't right.
Randy

#8 ·
you got that right. something aint right!

#9 ·
Do you want to know how I have over come it, Charge more, it is that simple. Fuel surcharges, and truck charges are what they called in my industry. I feel sorry for the guy who uses his truck to drive to work, buy a smaller car in that case. I havn't raised my price in over a year, this post has inspired me to do so. I am going up $5 and hour, that should do it for me, I already have a $20 truck charge and have had that for about 5 years at that rate. My fule prices are out of control;, and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it, unless I start stealing it from someone else. I ahve thought about mmaking my own, but that takes to much time, and I am busy enough.

#10 ·
That's easy to do if you are a subcontractor. I am an employee. Not so easy to charge more when the boss says no way. "Were barely staying alive as it is".
Randy

#11 ·
friend, i'am a contractor as well, and chargeing more just cost me in many cases. the problem i have is not just fuel for my trucks and equipment, it's driveing up the price for material as well.[asphalt/concrete]. folks understand the reason for increase, but simply say it's out of the price range, and put off the work, hopeing the fuel will come down, and the price of everything else. my buisness from private party's, has dropped to less then half the last two years.

#12 ·
Ya, I am familiar. Biz is down all the way around. In my case though, people call for heat repairs, and generally do not even ask the price per hour, they are just happy I can come to there aid. I am not going to gouge, it is time to raise my prices anyway, it has been a long while since I have. There are guys here in town charging $98 per hour, and I am still at $80, I can't give out the good deal any longer. The biz climate does suck here in Cal though for sure. I have stoppped building houses all together for now, I have house number 9 and 10 on perpatual hold until the econmy changes around here. I have 2 spec houses I can not sell already.

#13 ·
electricians, and heat/ac cooling folks seem to always do well around here. like you say, they are happy to see you get there!

#14 ·
I'll just be happy when warm weather comes back around so I can get back to making my own fuel. Miss my home brew bio.
Randy

#15 ·
i would really like to make my own, but i dont think i can get enough material, and produce enough fuel to keep up with my fuel needs.

#16 ·
Feed stock may be more abundant than you think. Over the summer I collected enough oil to make 700 gal of bio. Got me through 5 months without stopping for fuel. That was about 13,000 miles on my own fuel. It's a lot of work, but worth it a todays prices. And your truck will love it. Very smooth and quit. The exhaust smells nice too.
Randy

#17 ·
700 gallons of bio-diesel. That would last me a month- maybe- during harvest.

I think I went through 1200 gal in 40 day of grape harvest for the semi's. Not much.... but for a small farmer. (And that doesn't count the 600 for the farm tractors/harvester.)

I charged a surcharge for the fuel.... person who I bought the operation from last year charged me one two years ago, so I kept it going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.