does transmission fluid expand? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to igotrobbed
does transmission fluid expand?

I had a bet with a friend of mine . He insists tranny fluid expands under heat . I thought the whole idea of hydrolics was fluids don't expand or contract .

Anyway , he just showed me in a chiltons book , and well yea it says it expands when warm .

Am I out 50$ or what??
1988 F-350 frame -- 90' E4od and 7.3 motor 130K -- 90'-95' Body paionted -- New Injection pump professionaly timed ,injector installation kit,Injectors - rear bearings in&out+seals - rear drive shaft /yoke-U-joints- controller/relay- glow plugs- drums- brake pads all around- power steering box- installed used fan clutch & blades- Installed used steering column with cruise - 2 new batteries- rear leaf springs- voltage regulator - Block heater/ pump(used)- used front tank (in perfect condition)- tranny cooling lines

02 Dodge cummins 4x4 longbed
igotrobbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Re: does transmission fluid expand?

Sorry to tell you this, but yes it does. Which is why you always check the fluid level with the vehicle at operating temperatures.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Yes you are out 50 bucks. I think you have confused compress with expand and contract. That's why there is a hot and cold level on many radiator tanks as well as engine and transmission dipsticks.

I'm not sure but I think everything expands and contracts with temp changes.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I had a bet with a friend of mine . He insists tranny fluid expands under heat . I thought the whole idea of hydrolics was fluids don't expand or contract .

Anyway , he just showed me in a chiltons book , and well yea it says it expands when warm .

Am I out 50$ or what??

[/ QUOTE ]
Based strictly on terminology, you are out $50.
All known materials expand or contract with differences in steady state (after a long time) heat. I.E. If you leave something in a hot enviroment for a long time, it will expand or contract based on the material. The same goes for cold.
BUT, the hydraulics are, for our purposes, incompressible. There is a big difference. Incompressible means you can't squish it(very much). This is a desirable trait for fluids transmiting power (ATF).
BTW, this whole incompressible fluid goes flying out the window when you talk about high pressures(>2500PSI or there abouts). Such is the case w/ the new Cummins & the Bosch HP common fuel rail.
As a tidbit, bet your friend $100 that water does not have a constant expansion rate. At the end of the day you should be $50 richer than when you got up. Remember the three basic states of matter? Solid, liquid, gas. They all have different expansion/contraction rates for the same matter(material, substance, stuff).

Daniel
03-07BTS downpipe & 6pos chip.

04-07: ]226,000mi 277HP, 543TQ, Graph
05-07: EGT, Boost, Trans from Tymar
06-07: 4" exhaust, 31 row 6.0L trans cooler
08-07: BTS Transmission.[/url]
09-07: 80.76 @ 16.527

My picture & diagrams
danjreed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)

[ QUOTE ]
... BTW, this whole incompressible fluid goes flying out the window when you talk about high pressures. (>2500PSI or thereabouts)
Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant to say 25,000 pounds/square inch, not 2,500 pounds/square inch.

2,500 pounds/square inch is a fairly typical pressure for hydraulic systems and has been for many years.
25,000 pounds/square inch is a typical for new common-rail Diesel fuel injection systems, and it's only recently that pressures have been cranked up that high.

Back to the original question: Yes, it's true that transmission fluid expands when it heats up, (and that's true for both automatic and manual transmission oils) but it's a small percentage which for all practical purposes can be ignored.

But you don't have to take our word (or Chilton's) for it; it's simple enough to put a sample in the fridge and in the oven and see for yourself what happens. (don't exceed about 250 degrees F)

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
drcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

"(don't exceed about 250 degrees F)"
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
1997 F250 HD PSD 4x4 OR Auto 3.55LS CC SRW SWB 265x75x16 Michelin LTX DP 211K mi.; Ford AIC; Fuel milege; 20.3 mpg @ 70 mph. 12.5 mpg pulling my boat,12.5K, along two lane rural roads. A number of mods ordered from DaleI. Nice round replacement DP. FS2500 by-pass oil filter installed. Fumoto drain valve. Tymar Intake installed! HX mod from Tymar installed. TFI fillneck kits installed. Auto-Rx cleaner in engine & transmission done. Switched from Rotella dino to Rotella synthetic. Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 installed!
FS-2500 Bypass filter installed. CD Changer
Velvet rides installed. Joe Servo IDM mod was installed. Replaced with Swamps HV/HF IDM! Rear air lift springs. 4" exhaust installed all the back from DP and bye bye Kitty.
Sparkydm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Automatic trans fluid can see much more the 250 degrees when in operation and being worked HARD. Of course it's not gonna like it.
2007 Apex9.5 truck camper
1973 Bronco (stock), wife's
1973 Bronco (HEAVILY modified), mine
2006 Mustang V6, Screaming Yellow, wife's
2006 F350, Amarillo, SRW, CC, 4x4, SB, 6.0/auto (traded)
2004 F350, SRW, CC, SB, Sport, 4x4, 6.0/auto (bought back by Ford)
SteveIn29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

It rises enough to see about an inch difference depending on what transmission and what dipstick. I would call that pretty significant expansion.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... BTW, this whole incompressible fluid goes flying out the window when you talk about high pressures. (>2500PSI or thereabouts)
Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant to say 25,000 pounds/square inch, not 2,500 pounds/square inch.

2,500 pounds/square inch is a fairly typical pressure for hydraulic systems and has been for many years.
25,000 pounds/square inch is a typical for new common-rail Diesel fuel injection systems, and it's only recently that pressures have been cranked up that high.

Back to the original question: Yes, it's true that transmission fluid expands when it heats up, (and that's true for both automatic and manual transmission oils) but it's a small percentage which for all practical purposes can be ignored.

But you don't have to take our word (or Chilton's) for it; it's simple enough to put a sample in the fridge and in the oven and see for yourself what happens. (don't exceed about 250 degrees F)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant 2,500PSI. That is about where things *start* to get strange. It is really *gone* out the window by the time you reach 25,000PSI. Hence the reason it has only been done recently, among other reasons.
Assuming that a fluid (air, liquid, transmission fluid, etc..) is incompressible makes an ungodly set of equations somewhat managable with the use of other assumptions like Newtonian fluid, linear shear force, and about 5-10 others. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]
Only the past few years has the metalurgy and manufacturing been able to *reliably* produce a system that works at 25000PSI. But a good computer is needed to work the equations that are needed to design the mechanicals of the system (pump, plumbing, fittings, etc).

Daniel

My picture & diagrams
Old 10-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Cowboy Dan I just looked at your profile and I had guessed right.
What kind of engineering degree are you working on? The water bet should work great for igotrobbed IF his buddy does not read this forum.

The main thing with transmission fluid is to keep it from overheating as that can cause all sorts of problems. I like to use synthetic fluid as an extra level of protection as well as a add-on cooler.
ThePartsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Cowboy Dan I just looked at your profile and I had guessed right.
What kind of engineering degree are you working on? The water bet should work great for igotrobbed IF his buddy does not read this forum.

The main thing with transmission fluid is to keep it from overheating as that can cause all sorts of problems. I like to use synthetic fluid as an extra level of protection as well as a add-on cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mechanical Engineering @ IUPUI.

My picture & diagrams
Old 10-12-2006, 11:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

Then why not use a non-newtonian fluid as a lock-up medium in the torque converter of a transmission?

Sorry to potentially hijack the thread, this idea just popped in my head. Guess I'll have to fire up SolidWorks and design the converter now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
The Green Monster: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
Spencnaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Send a message via ICQ to igotrobbed

So fluids do compress also is what your saying Cowboy Dan ?
1988 F-350 frame -- 90' E4od and 7.3 motor 130K -- 90'-95' Body paionted -- New Injection pump professionaly timed ,injector installation kit,Injectors - rear bearings in&out+seals - rear drive shaft /yoke-U-joints- controller/relay- glow plugs- drums- brake pads all around- power steering box- installed used fan clutch & blades- Installed used steering column with cruise - 2 new batteries- rear leaf springs- voltage regulator - Block heater/ pump(used)- used front tank (in perfect condition)- tranny cooling lines

02 Dodge cummins 4x4 longbed
igotrobbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Then why not use a non-newtonian fluid as a lock-up medium in the torque converter of a transmission?

Sorry to potentially hijack the thread, this idea just popped in my head. Guess I'll have to fire up SolidWorks and design the converter now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
You let me know how that goes! I want to be a beta tester. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If I remember correctly, toothpaste is non-newtonian. That would be funny to see. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Imagine someone at a truckstop buying a case of toothpaste because they blew a cooler line. I can imagine the crowd now....

[ QUOTE ]

So fluids do compress also is what your saying Cowboy Dan ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Fluids do compress. Some compress more than others for a given pressure, but they all compress. At least, all that I know of. There was an instructor who had some experience with unobtainium, though. Very expensive stuff.
Now that I think about it, I don't know what the factor (similiar to Young's modulus for solids) would be for the amount of volume change at a given pressure difference. I'm sure it exists somewhere, and someone will chime in with it soon.

Daniel
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

My picture & diagrams
Old 10-13-2006, 07:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

"Fluid" is not really the correct term. A "fluid" is something that flows. Air is a fluid as is water. A "liquid" is what is incompressible as far as our limited observations tell us. When the pressures get extremely high is when these strange things happen.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.