The Diesel Stop banner

DT466 ENGINE MISS

12K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  trdeli4 
#1 ·
I HAVE A 1997 DT466 ELECTRONIC VERSION IN A INTERNATIONAL 4000 SERIES MEDIUM DUTY TRUCK. IT HAS A AUTOMATIC WITH 245,000 MILES. WHEN I DON'T START IT FOR A FEW DAYS IT'S VERY HARD TO GET STARTED, IT TAKES SEVERAL STARTS TO KEEP IT RUNNING, IT'S GETTING WORSE AS IT IS GETTING COLDER OUTSIDE. ONCE IT STARTS AND STAYS RUNNING IT SEEMS LIKE IT IS MISSING REAL BAD. ONCE IT WARMS UP FOR 5-10 MIN. IT DOES FINE THE REST OF THE DAY. JUST TODAY IT SEEMS TO BE SHUDDERING GOING UP HILLS. I ASSUME IT IS MISSING. I JUST BOUGHT THE TRUCK TO PULL A 3 CAR WEDGE TRAILER. I NEED MORE POWER WHAT CAN I DO TO THIS TO INCREASE IT'S HP AND TORQUE. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATING APPRECIATED:THANKS

#2 ·
A miss can be as simple as too thick of oil, to as ugly as an injector problem.
for low power, you can upgrade to 530 injectors(BD body code), and/or have a big name shop extrude hone the tips. Then, it'll need turbo mods, or replaced. Custom ECM work is getting close too, that way it can unleash the power that's wanting to come out of these engines.

#4 ·
Here's a few notes:
The best ECM to have is a Hi tork (HT) rated at 230 or 250hp, the second best being a 250hp. They are the most aggressive for factory tuning. Couple that to a BP injector, and you're looking at or pretty darn close to 300hp. You can have the injectors honed, and make way over 300hp or possibly 400hp, but not many takers on going that high. Remember, the torque is roughly 2.5 times the hp level, and tends to break stuff.
With a low powered (rating) ECM, big hogged out injectors wont make a ton of difference, unless you double the flow or more.
Turbo stuff depends on what the original rating was. Generally, you can gain about 50hp on the OEM turbo.

#5 ·
What is your fuel pressure? Those engines are known for the injectors orings leaking oil into the furl system. That would cause alot of engine performance. So check your fuel presssure 50-60psi at idle. Than look at your fuel condition. Hopefully it's not black. We will go from there. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.