DT466 has water in oil - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DT466 has water in oil

We recently overhauled this engine and during the overhaul replaced the oil cooler. The truck left for 500 miles and came back with oil in the water. We removed the oil cooler and had it pressure checked, checked Ok. Removed head and had pressure checked, checked OK. We made a block off plate for the top of the block and pressure checked the oil galleys withe 85PSi shop air and had no bubbles in the coolant galleys. We have had the local machine shop look at the old head gasket and they see no sign where there was cross contamination. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
lance_wright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Which condition do you have? In the thread title, you say water in oil, but in the thread you say oil in water.

I have a dt466 that had both problems at different times. The oil in water ended up being the oil cooler. I also had mine tested, but it didn't show as leaking unless it was at operating temperature. The rad shop i had test it couldn't heat it to 190 degrees and pressurize it at the same time. I replaced it with a reman one and all was well.

Several years later i found water in the oil. Fortunately, i caught it very quickly, and had no trouble with bearings or other lube damage. In that case it happened to be the liner seals. The very bottom one(s) had basically rotted out, and was allowing coolant to leak into the crankcase while it was shut down. I replaced all the liner seals and back in business again.

If you've got water in the oil, it's possible one of the liner oring seals twisted, rolled, ripped, or something while you installed them. If you can pull the oil pan and pressurize the coolant system, don't use 85 psi, 10-15 should be lots, a leak from the bottom of the bad liner will be easy to spot. Obviously you'll need the cylinder head back on to do this, or your block off plate if you can seal the coolant ports.

Good luck
timberjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Hey There ... When looking for the Liner O rings - Does anyone have a diagram where these are located? And the best view of them?

Thanks A Bunch!
CuttingEdge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the Diesel Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdge View Post
Hey There ... When looking for the Liner O rings - Does anyone have a diagram where these are located? And the best view of them?

Thanks A Bunch!
Here's a link that should help you out:

~~~~~School Bus Mechanic: International DT466 Diesel Engine Rebuild Cylinder Liner Seals
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.