dt466 issues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dt466 issues

Alright, just looking for some possible advice on what could be wrong with my truck, 97 International 4900 with 230hp DT466e, 175,000 miles. Every once in a while, the engine seems to be running fine until you shut it off, and then it doesnít want to start again. Doesnít matter if it sits for 10 minutes or overnight it just doesnít want to start. Eventually if you try starting it, turn the key off, crank it over again, turn the key off, crank again and repeat it will usually start eventually, although on three occasions it wouldnít start at all and it was towed to the dealership. First time the dealership thought it was fuel related and put in a new fuel filter and it started up, the next two times at a different dealership they figured an electrical problem, and went through all the wires, cleaned up some corrosion and it started fine, but the problem still hasnít been fixed. Other times the truck starts perfectly fine, making it hard to diagnose the problem. I have all the paperwork from the dealer if you need specifics on exactly what they did/checked.

The truck has some blow-by and does use some oil. Sometimes when you start it up cold, it will puff a ton of white smoke until it warms up and then itíll clear up. Other times you start it up and thereís no noticeable smoke. Occasionally when the engine is idling youíll hear it miss once, but this doesnít happen very often.

I had an oil analysis done a while ago and everything there was fine, and it seems to have plenty of power. Anyone with any ideas on where to start? I hope an overhaul isnít necessary, but the no-start problem is driving me crazy.
westcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

were the dealerships able to get any codes out of the engine? from your description, it sounds like the engine does crank over but doesn't start. from the white smoke you describe it sounds like you might be getting some air into teh fuel system somewhere.
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, the engine does crank over, but it wont start. About the codes, heres what it mentions in the papers I have:

"Got inactive codes for #615, #224, #323. Erase codes & run diagnostics with key on. Still has inactive codes for keep alive memory fault & #543 - ECM/IDM com. fault. Go through diagnostic check list. Remove harness from IDM & found minor corrosion on pins #2 & #14. Clean up pins & connector. Apply dielectric grease to pins & reconnect IDM. Still getting same codes. Tested relays with breakout tester - good. Check harness connector at firewall for ecm. Clean up pins & connector. Found ground wires at firewall corroded & worn from rubbing. Repair ground wires & clean up area around the ground post. Do pull test on all wires. Use breakout box to test circuits. Check and clean up deutch connector. Run diagnostics again. This time there are no codes."

After I got it back from that trip to the dealer it ran fine for a few weeks, but once again it started occasionally not wanting to start.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

when it does start hard, does it smoke a lot after that or does it just finally start and run normal? do you know what any of those inactive codes dealt with? i think i have a code sheet somewhere in my tool box but i probably won't be back there till monday.
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

When it finally does start, sometimes it'll smoke for a bit, and other times it'll run normal, seems random to me.

I found a site that lists what the codes are:

ECM
Programmable parameter KAM Corrupt fault

KAM PWR
KAM Corrupt

ECL
Engine Coolant Level below warning / critical level

543*
ECM / IDM
IDM faults not received

The one about the coolant was because some work was done to the radiator and I guess they didnt add quite enough coolant. At the dealership they pressure tested the coolant system and it didnt go down at all. I'm not real sure what the rest of the codes mean exactly.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

have you had it checked for codes again since they repaired those corroded wires before? maybe there are still some issues with that. i'd suggest to check all your fuel lines also to make sure you're not getting any air in them.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

I assume the engine is equipped with the had primer on the secondary filter. Try pumping the hand primer and see if the pump hardens up. Then try to start it and see if its better. It might have a schraeder valve on the filter head you can press with a small screwdriver and try to see if air bleeds out.

I've had fuel pumps wich are located on the back of the High Pressure Oil Pump do that. The regulator could have crap in it on the back of the head but usually they will stall out. The ECM connections get corroded alot on those engines as well.

I'd put a clear line or run a line from the return to a bucket and see if there is air in the fuel. Also you have to clear the codes and see wich ones come back if any.

2001 Lightning - Oxford white, garage queen
DieselSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Resolution?

Hello, all. Was there ever a resolution to this problem? I ask because I have exactly the same issue with one of our school buses, and I can't for the life of me figure it out!

I've tried everything suggested in the posts, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. - if anyone would rather email the answer (if any), send it to:
visionmechanic@izoom.net

Thanks, again.
visionmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)
I am supprised you did not get a CPS code.
95" Extd Cab F250HD 4x4 DRW, /86"6.9 T19 GV o/d 3.73 axles, Hypermax Pulse turbo, intercooled / Modified Hypermax ram air induction, PowerShot 2000 LPG system "first design". Ride rites @ all 4 corners, Dana 50 mono Beam up front, Ford 10.5" in rear with 4 wheel disk brakes. Other Truck, 1983 IHC "S" with 14ton NoMar wrecker body, 30,000 GVW, 229"wb with a 340hp Detroit 6V92TA, Eaton 13spd RTO9513, 3.70 ring & pinion and LPG kit. Alcoa 22.5x8.25 with Michelin XVE 255x70x22.5
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

ECM & IDM Fault

Good day,

I have 2000 model 4900 with a dt466E. Cranks but doesn't start unless you tow it and use the clutch. While cranking to warn engine light will come on and stay on.
After it starts it will give a lot of blue/white smoke until it just idles but somewhat rough.
I have a pro-link which i checked and saw that oil pressure was between 30 - 50psi at 700rpm, icp apprx 700psi+/-100. It will run but not with much power, turbo reads ok. If you shut it off after running, give about ten minutes and it won't key start. The two active codes i'm getting from the pro-link refer to ecm and idm fault. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
nathanielje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
ICP sensor is not mentioned as having been changed on any of these. Wire faults at ICP or a faulty ICP could do this as the sensor or wiring faults to sensor may fail to give the threshold oil pressure reading for injectors to be operated. If you tow a vehicle and you get the engine to say 400 rpm you will make a lot more HP oil pressure and if the sensor is offset 250 psi the pressure would go over the threshold and you'd get it to run.
With an incorrect reading from ICP, by incorrect I'm referring to having 500 psi but the signal reaching ECM is 250psi, the starting cranking spped won't get you enough oil pressure to get to threshold for injector operation.
In addition to bad sensor, a problem with some other sensor or even with the ECM could give low Vref (the 5 volts that feeds to sensors that they in turn modify and is reduced to the value for the sensor monitored pressure, temp, speed, etc.) in sensor circuit and cause erroneous ICP signal and no starting while cranking over.
It sounds like the dealer is doing things to chase this very issue without resorting to throwing parts at it. One no start with scanner on it would probably get it pinpointed but it seems that it has started for them when they had it for diagnosis.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 141K
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 205K

Last edited by jimmy; 07-13-2010 at 10:05 AM.
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

I tried starting the engine, after a couple seconds the pro-link is showing icp at about 150psi and falling.
nathanielje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

check oil pressure at hp oil pump must be at least 3000
moosefd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.