ford cummins - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ford cummins

hope this is the right forum...

i'm very interested in swapping a cummins motor into a v-10 superduty.
however i'm still early on in the learning process, and want to get as much figured out as i can before-hand. so far i've read a couple posts, used search keys, and visited fordcummins.com. but i still want to know more. what does it involve? best engine tranny options? general idea of cost? what to look for ina donor vehicle, or where to buy from? what are some of the difficult areas? and more.

if you could answer any of this or know of anouther place that has please let me know.
thanks in advance
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Re: ford cummins

Check out www.cummins-conversion.com a sight just for us crazy folks that like to make em the way they should have been made in the first place.

Cam
91 F350 reg.cab, SRW, 4x4, Powered by a '98 Cummins 12v. BHAF, #10 plate, 3k gsk in the near future, Di-Pricol pyro and boost gauge and VDO oil pressure gauge in a custom A-pillar mount, 4" straight exhaust, PSD intercooler, 4.10's, ZF 5spd, 4" superlift, 305/70/16's

2001 Bullit Mustang, #292

[color:"black"]My Cummins conversion

[color:"blue"]Toy Pic's

[color:"red"]intercooler install
Radcam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

My problem is there's no website for a DT466 swap into a Super Duty, or older F350. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]

Work truck:'94 IH 4900, DTA466 lightly bombed(#0 fuel plate, timing at 22*, 3 clicks tighter gov springs), Allison MT653, Voith retarder, and straight piped
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

its like swapping any other engine except the 466 is really big. I have heard you need to put a body lift and a doghouse to make it fit. I wouldn't fool with it. Cummins is a lot easier.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

No problem my friend. Give me a shout and we'll break it down for you. Enginea@bellsouth.net
diesel_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
hope this is the right forum...

i'm very interested in swapping a cummins motor into a v-10 superduty.
however i'm still early on in the learning process, and want to get as much figured out as i can before-hand. so far i've read a couple posts, used search keys, and visited fordcummins.com. but i still want to know more. what does it involve? best engine tranny options? general idea of cost? what to look for ina donor vehicle, or where to buy from? what are some of the difficult areas? and more.

if you could answer any of this or know of anouther place that has please let me know.
thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out this site also... http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...splay.php?f=30
1991 F-350 XLT Lariat 4x4. Metallic Midnight Blue over Silver Gray.. Canadian Made. Now has 82000 miles. Std Cab SRW-7.3 With a Banks Stinger Kit. ZF-5 speed- 4:10. Five rear overload springs rated at 3000 lbs, Smitty Built side step tubes, mounted to frame with 1/2 " steel plate.. SteelHead sliding rear bumper. SteelHorse overhead panel with a Cobra 25. Dash mounted compass and altimeter, pillar mounted Banks pyrometer. 11.5 FT camper in the bed 99% of the time. Camper has been restored all the way out from it's frame. Camper has two #30 batteries, good for a week dry camping in the woods..
--- Two 1978 Bronco's- One stock 400 cu" and one Bombed 406 cu"--- 1972 E-200 van. 302 cu"--- 1975 F-600 with 361 cu" Industrial engine.
HiWayMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
No problem my friend. Give me a shout and we'll break it down for you. Enginea@bellsouth.net

[/ QUOTE ]

Shout shout shout... Break it down for the rest of us. Whataya got. Adapters, or a shop that does conversions? Lots of us on here are interested in the Cummins conversion.. Don't be bashful. If you've got some got ideas or methods please post them.....

Al
1991 F-350 XLT Lariat 4x4. Metallic Midnight Blue over Silver Gray.. Canadian Made. Now has 82000 miles. Std Cab SRW-7.3 With a Banks Stinger Kit. ZF-5 speed- 4:10. Five rear overload springs rated at 3000 lbs, Smitty Built side step tubes, mounted to frame with 1/2 " steel plate.. SteelHead sliding rear bumper. SteelHorse overhead panel with a Cobra 25. Dash mounted compass and altimeter, pillar mounted Banks pyrometer. 11.5 FT camper in the bed 99% of the time. Camper has been restored all the way out from it's frame. Camper has two #30 batteries, good for a week dry camping in the woods..
--- Two 1978 Bronco's- One stock 400 cu" and one Bombed 406 cu"--- 1972 E-200 van. 302 cu"--- 1975 F-600 with 361 cu" Industrial engine.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
rmr

www.autoworldmt.com

Another company, good reputation from what I have read, going by pics they do a nice job. They also sell mounts, etc.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to WormDrowner

This month's Diesel Power magazine has some interesting information on engine swaps. http://www.dieselpowermag.com/
“Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word. And there's an opening convey of generalities. A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner.” John Steinbeck

1996 F-250 XLT Supercab 7.3 PSD with Edge Evolution, MBRP 4" exhaust, AFE Stage II Intake. Isspro Gauges. "Ol' Black"

2011 F-350 XLT Crew Cab SRW 6.7 PSD 4x4
WormDrowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
This month's Diesel Power magazine has some interesting information on engine swaps. http://www.dieselpowermag.com/

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a great article. I bought the magazine just for that piece. But, did anyone catch this? === <font color="blue"> </font> "Basically, the factory Dodge/Cummins computer and its wiring harness remained intact and got transferred directly to the GMC"... What's with that? I thought a 2nd generation Cummins w/ P7100 pump DID NOT have a computer.... What's that all about? Thanks.

Al
Old 04-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

If I recall correctly there is a small computer control module on the 12v that controls grid heater, possibly gauge interface, and some auto trans functions. The engine will run without it, as it does not control the engine at all.

Cam
91 F350 reg.cab, SRW, 4x4, Powered by a '98 Cummins 12v. BHAF, #10 plate, 3k gsk in the near future, Di-Pricol pyro and boost gauge and VDO oil pressure gauge in a custom A-pillar mount, 4" straight exhaust, PSD intercooler, 4.10's, ZF 5spd, 4" superlift, 305/70/16's

2001 Bullit Mustang, #292

[color:"black"]My Cummins conversion

[color:"blue"]Toy Pic's

[color:"red"]intercooler install
Radcam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly there is a small computer control module on the 12v that controls grid heater, possibly gauge interface, and some auto trans functions. The engine will run without it, as it does not control the engine at all.

Cam

[/ QUOTE ]
Makes sense. I was wondering about that... Thanks.

Al
Old 04-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

so i think that i'm understanding this more...

so far i have only really worked on jeeps/gas engines and swapped a 4.2L for a newer 4.0L. the swap wasn't bad at all except the wiring got me pretty tripped up.

what i understand is that this swap is mostly about making it fit, and the choice of tranmission and adapter. the wiring part is straight forward and their are companies that make wiring. am i right about this?

one question is the grid heater? i have no idea what it is. is it a block heater or what? and what do i need to look for when purchasing the cummins?

thanks
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
rmr

Grid heater is what is used instead of glow plugs, it is a heating element in the air intake, if you don't live where it gets cold
you could forget about hooking it up, they start fine without it.
Although they probably run smoother with it functional when you first start engine. They suck a lot of amps, will dim the headlights on a Dodge when they cycle. This is not a block heater. A guy I work with has a Ddge Cummins and the grid heater doesn't work, it doesn't get much below freezing around here, 30f is cold, he has no problem starting at those temps.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

why does everybody want a cummins.sure their great but to me they are starting to get overrated.

I'd like to have a small detroit diesel in my truck or a catepillar would be nice.

Remember anything can fit and anythings possible and not only that if you got the necessary tools then you can bolt anything onto the frame like motor mounts etc... but I was thinking if im going to put a bigger diesel motor into my pickup I will have to rebuild the engine compartment and fenders to make things work.Im still undecided as to what motor I want because notching the firewall and adding a bigger and stronger suspension wont be no problem for me.I just need the motor and tranny.Oh yeah and the money.

Usually a truck salvage yard will hopefully have a dodge pickup with a cummins in it.I know that because I've already seen a few myself.Just go in and get some good out of it but hopefully if you start doing stuff like converting motors then hopefully you do have some kind of mechanical knowledge on vehicles and engines.
Step 8 BullyBooster Injectors,Edge Comp Plug-In Module.
Odometer:401K
-
'02 Dodge Quad Cab.24V Turbo Cummins.6 Speed.
Stock.
Odometer:100k
-
'93 F350 4X4 XLT CREW 7.3 N/A.3.55 Gears.
-Odometer:341K
-
'99 Peterbilt 379 Ex.Hood.Flat Top.550 CAT 18 Speed,8" Straights
odometer:521k
tall_green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.