Ford F800 8.3 litre 250 hp - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford F800 8.3 litre 250 hp

Can anyone tell me, is this a Cummins Diesel, How would I be able to tell. I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to diesel engines !!

Also, can anyone help me with alittle info on this engine. Pro's & Con's Just recently made the purchase. It have 69,000 miles on it and runs great, have questions about cold weather starts, fuel economy.

thanks
kingriver [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] <font color="red"> </font>
kingriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Re: Ford F800 8.3 litre 250 hp

Well the Cummins was the only 8.3 that Ford put in their trucks, from the early 90s on I believe. It should have the regular data plate on the curved portion of the gear train cover, where it on the drivers side front of the engine, in front of the injector pump. May have been painted over but a wire brush will take it off hopefully.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2005, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the information, I will take a look tomorrow and see if I can find it. Do you know will it tell me somewhere 250 hp. Someone told me this is what they called the million mile motor. Have you ever heard this in reference to this motor.

thanks again
kingriver
Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

The motor is nothing special, it is decent but had its own issues like anything...yes the data plate will tell you model, serial, CPL, and horsepower

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Birken has filled you in on the engine. I personally like the little things. Out of our trucks with this engine I have two over 300,000, but I honestly don't expect much more. A million miles is just beyond all designs of a small block. You'd be very lucky to get 500,000. We also have had one F800 with a tad over 500,000 on the chassis and it was a wreck. The trucks that the small blocks are put in just can't last that long so there is no need for the engine to.
jcchristn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for your input, we bought this F800 4X4 dumptruck and its in great shape all the way around. It has 69500 original miles on it, was ex-govt, well maintained. It has only 1 (one) mile on the front 4x4 meter, and I believe this to be correct. So it looks like I may get many more miles out of it since I am willing to maintain it 100%.

thanks again

kingriver
Old 10-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

I still have yet to find that plate with the information, was wondering it you could tell me about the block heater,would it be best to leave plugged in all the time when the temp get say below 20 ? I live in ALaska and will use it for (snow-removal/sanding). Would this be hard on anything ? It also doesn't have glo-plugs so how does one tell when its ready to start ? At present I turn the key on and can hear like a growl under the hood, I wait till this growl stops then fire it.

Thanks again for your time

kingriver [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

The early cummins engines normally had an ether system installed for cold starts and a block heater. They don't use glow plugs and the last F800 I worked on didn't have the intake heater system so the block heater and ether was the cold start system. I personally like the Cummins 8.3L, basically just a larger 5.9 used alot of the 5.9's parts as well.
1995 K2500 diesel suburban, BANKS stinger kit, Quadzilla guages, 97+ cooling mods with D-max fan, remote PMD with #9 resistor

1988 JEEP CHEROKEE, 4.0L, 4X4, auto, mostly stock(keepin the miles off the diesel)
thefermanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

It is possible that the plate has been removed - if the cover/compartment has been replaced. It would be right in front of the injection pump (driver's side) on the curve of the timing compartment.

If it IS a 250HP or higher version, it SHOULD have the intake manifold heater. Basically looks like 2 big glow plugs mounted to the intake. If this truck IS as pristine as you say, there should be a sticker on the sun visor, and a light on the dash that says "wait to start".

If you don't have either of those, then you have 225hp or 210hp version. You should be able to keep it plugged in around the clock, but if you have a 'schedule' of sorts, then a timer will help keep the electric bill down. Ether can be used on the engines that do NOT have the intake manifold heater.

All that said.... we have a 275hp engine that starts like crap below 40 degrees, and I'll plug it in the night before I need to run it. It's done that since new, and only has 100k on it now. Last year we got a 225hp truck, and it will start anywhere, anytime, any temp. I have that one on a timer for a few hours before I leave. That's at 360k... I think you'll find the lower hp engines start easier in cold weather....

Rodney
Old 10-19-2005, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Rodney for the information, I will look tomorrow for the dash light--maybe its burned out--or maybe I have something else like you stated,,and am still trying to find on the engine some sort of (ID)

kingriver
Old 10-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hey Guy--I posted several pictures of the truck. Take a look for yourself--it's in (GREAT) shape for a 1993.

kingriver [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Guy--I posted several pictures of the truck. Take a look for yourself--it's in (GREAT) shape for a 1993.

kingriver [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are they posted?

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2005, 09:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Under general photo's--Yellow F800---
Old 10-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Was wondering if you could tell me, on the visor it says KBi system installed., when looking under the hood I see no such devise. Could this unit be hidden somewhere, does one of your trucks have this on it. Also have a question about the block heater, can I leave this unit plugged in all the time or just plug it in a few hours before I use it, I live in Alaska and plan on using the truck this winter to haul sand, snow, any input would be greatly appreciated....

thank you
kingriver [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)

KBi is an ether injection system for cold starts. <font color="blue">CLICK HERE</font> to see what they are. It cannot be used with glow plug systems - a trucking company I used to supervise a maintenance shop for had them on their 6V92 Detroit Diesels.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.