The Diesel Stop banner

Freeze Point of Diesel #2??

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dakotajeep 
#1 ·
What is a safe freeze point for Diesel 2#? I'm headed to some 5-10 degree temps for a few days.

Thanks, Pat

#2 ·
You are probably OK. I think No 2 typically gels below O°F but it can start clouding above that. If it got any moisture in it that might raise gel point, too. Wouldn't hurt to put some antigel in there just to be safe.

#3 ·
As long as you are not running on very old fuel, your fuel is already blended for winter use.

Untreated summer fuel will start gelling @ 15* F.

#4 ·
It doesn't freeze in cold temperatures - wax flakes form and block filters and small openings. If you bought diesel in Florida, for example and tried to run in zero degree weather you'd soon roll to a stop. In the Great NorthWet I'm sure fuel is blended for the mountain passes even if you buy it at the coast.

#5 ·
Like Moe says, if in doubt, use anti gel. Better safe than sorry. JMO! Curious..

How you guy's near/on East coast know fuel (for sure) is blended on west coast? Is there a mfg. site that say's.? TIA

#6 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How you guy's near/on East coast know fuel (for sure) is blended on west coast? Is there a mfg. site that say's.? TIA </div></div>

I assume that any supplier will blend for conditions within a tank away from the station. A driver in coastal Washington state could head east just as easily as south.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.