Freightliner 60 series Optimum idle? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Freightliner 60 series Optimum idle?

Hi

Not sure this is the right forum for my question.

Just hoping someone may be able to speak to this:

Trying to help someone out. It's their first time driving the freightliner 60 series and at the end of a long day and night is trying to set the truck to maintain the sleeper-berth heat. The truck quits after idling a little while. They have refered to the manual and are not quite sure if the problem is the truck or if they are missing something in the settings.

The only info I have right now is it's an (early) 200? Freightliner 60 series. Sorry if that's not enough to go on. Any help/suggestions will be really appreciated. It's cold in MN.

TIA
the_wheeldeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2005, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Freightliner 60 series Optimum idle?

are you saying that the truck will not idle for very long (5min)?
we have several IHC's/cummins at work, that will not idle for longer than 5 min unless you turn the cruise switch to on, and push set on the other cc switch. That will bring the rpm's up, and it will not die. Some have a preset idle rpm, about 800, some you can choose your rpm. If none of this works call the dealer and ask them, you should be able to idle for extended periods should you like.
95 f250 psd reg cab XLT 4x4 5sp 4:10 188k
diy tymar, big exhaust, 4 pos chip burnt by bdp, carbon fiber gauges, luk smfw
bean's stage I's

new ride: 02-99 f350 srw cc lb 4x4 6sp 3.73 stock, previous owner installed some kind of 10k, or 18k mod, true milage unknown
1064RG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for responding 1064RG.

I found out this morning that the truck idles for about twenty to thirty minutes than it shuts down. It went that way all night with him periodically having to start it up again. He did say he spoke to another driver who was also driving a freightliner, who told him to increase the rpm's (or something like that). He tried that and it didn't work either. I have tried to download the Century Class ST manual from the freightlinertrucks website but nothing is happening when I open the link. Today is Sunday so there won't be anyone in the garage at work to speak to until Monday morning. I'm hoping it's just a setting that's being missed because this is just the beginning of the trip and broken-up sleep wears one down.
the_wheeldeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

When idling, just before engine shutdown does check engine light flash? If so when light is flashing depress clutch pedal to the floor, cel should go off and engine should idle indefinetly, however if you plan to do extended idleing the engine should be idled up to 1000-1200 rpm for engine efficency. If the engine still shuts down after trying this or the cel does not flash you will need to see the dealer. There is a programmable idle feature that can be enabled or disabled through the data link. Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Series 60 can be programmed several ways on the 'idle shutdown. First of all of course it can be turned off. Then there is the shutdown like you said programmable from 2 minutes to a total of 99. Next is the idle shutdown set and a 'disable feature' allowed. This is set via either the scan tool or a laptop. I have both available for use. I do this all the time. The override feature allows the driver to override the shutdown feature either on idle, or fast idle. Both are pregrammable. The idle speed is programmable also. you can either raise it or lower it via the cruise switches. I have my own scan tool but remember this can be done if and only if 2 things happen. First of all YOU have to own the truck. Second of which is the 'password feature'. I can get passwords at work also. If you ar ethe new owner of a new truck or a used truck I ususlly disable the password thing to you access to the changing when ever you want. The universal password usually is 0000. Zero's not 'o's.
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.
Currently also have 2012 Dodge 4X4 with a Cummins engine.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Fishen View Post
Series 60 can be programmed several ways on the 'idle shutdown. First of all of course it can be turned off. Then there is the shutdown like you said programmable from 2 minutes to a total of 99. Next is the idle shutdown set and a 'disable feature' allowed. This is set via either the scan tool or a laptop. I have both available for use. I do this all the time. The override feature allows the driver to override the shutdown feature either on idle, or fast idle. Both are pregrammable. The idle speed is programmable also. you can either raise it or lower it via the cruise switches. I have my own scan tool but remember this can be done if and only if 2 things happen. First of all YOU have to own the truck. Second of which is the 'password feature'. I can get passwords at work also. If you ar ethe new owner of a new truck or a used truck I ususlly disable the password thing to you access to the changing when ever you want. The universal password usually is 0000. Zero's not 'o's.
where can i find the laptop based program for a semis or just freightliners. we have to regulate our truck everytime we goto canada i would like to do it myself. thanks
cherokee727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

A new Prolink setup will cost about $1k, I own one I bought. However for about $800 more you can buy the DDDL Program for your laptop. This will change it also BUT this has a virtual dashboard, diagnostic's, troubleshooting for codes, code reading and solving areas. This program works on all the DDEC 2,3,4,and 5 engines. Also the Mercedes 4000 and 900. If I was to get one the DDDL program is well worth the kickup. Thew new DDEC 6 and the newer DD15 or DD13 engine will NOT work on this older version. That is a totally different program. Changinging the timer takes about 5 minutes and the engine needs to be off. Remember you need the password to change the options. Most trucks have the universal password in use. Fleet trucks might have their own password in use.
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.
Currently also have 2012 Dodge 4X4 with a Cummins engine.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.