How about this little 5.2 diesel? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How about this little 5.2 diesel?

Isuzu has a 5.2 in line 4 cylinder diesel that makes 190 hp and 387 pounds of torque. Nice engine for a F-150/ or a 1500 GMC. In line 4 ought to fit in anything and as a 4 the weight can't be much over 500-600 pounds which is a far cry from the 6.0 at 1,100 plus. Only certified in the cab over trucks but what the heck it's possible. The Isuzu 4 in lines and 6 in lines are very reliable engines.

isuzu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How about this little 5.2 diesel?

isuzu can turn out some dam fine engines.if it were not for being a short stroke aluminum headed engine,i would give the duramax a try.i have a friend who is a certified cummins[and others] mechanic in the equipment field.he works on lots of cummins and isuzu powered equipment,he claims for longevity and reliability the isuzu stuff is hard to beat.but when they do break,call your banker.
the fleet; ferds ,02'f350,01'f450, 11' f350 the generals ,82'2500, 82'2500 4x4, 82' blazer, 86' blazer ,93'3500, 96'3500, and a 99' 3500hd with 12 valve cummins power. the goats, 90'd250, 91'd350 4x4, all are diesel powered. a list of bigger stuff, as well as gasser's, got lucky, wife comes from a family that collects junk iron too!
navistar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
LRH

[ QUOTE ]
Isuzu has a 5.2 in line 4 cylinder diesel that makes 190 hp and 387 pounds of torque. Nice engine for a F-150/ or a 1500 GMC. In line 4 ought to fit in anything and as a 4 the weight can't be much over 500-600 pounds which is a far cry from the 6.0 at 1,100 plus. Only certified in the cab over trucks but what the heck it's possible. The Isuzu 4 in lines and 6 in lines are very reliable engines.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I own one; and it is not little. weight is around 1,000 lbs, and oil pan to cam cover is very tall. It is a common rail, water cooled EGR, bored/stroked version of the 3.9 and 4.8 that have been marketed in the US and wordlwide for years. Luv mine.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2006, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

The 5.2L is a cut down version of Isuzu's 7.8L 6 cylinder. It is a very heavy duty engine for it's size, as the 7.8L is comparable to a Cummins 8.3 and the IH DT-466. As the post states above, they are not as light as you would think they might be.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Several years ago I approached a salesman with the Isuzu/Ford dealer just SW of downtown Dallas. I was considering an Isuzu with the 7.8L engine for a tow vehicle....I had a 2000 7.3 CC PSD at the time. The salesman told me I would be disappointed in the power of the Isuzu engine, particuarly on hills. He said Isuzu de-rated their engines in exchange for very long life and reliability. He said Isuzu trucks rode rough. He also told me Isuzu repairs and parts were Caterpillar expensive. He advised me to keep my PSD, which I did.

Florida Ed

2001 7.3 F-350 Dually Lariat CC LWB 4X2 Dark Green 4.10 4R100 5'ver Hauler (32' Montana 2 slides 10,500# - 2,000# tongue weight), 106 gal aux tank, 198K miles, nephews arguing over who will inherit it 'cause I'm gonna' drive it 'til I die. Bone stock.

SOLD 2001 5.4 Gasser F-250 XLT Crewcab SWB 4X2 3.73 4R100 98K miles headed to 150K stock as the day it was made

Before these: '00 F-250 CC PSD, '97 F-250 CC PSD, '94 Ford F-150, '91 Ford E-250, '81 Ford E-150, '66 Ford F-100 (cars not included)
FloridaEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)

My experience with Izusu diesels has been all favorable. Cant comment on the cost to fix one however I never had one break!

Regarding using the 5.4 L diesel to power an F150 etc P/U, as others point out the engine is hardly "little". Weight would be an issue. Also the 5.4 is TALL. Shoe horning one into a current production P/U engine bay would be problematic, unless perhaps the engine can be tipped ala the venerable Chrysler slant 6.

But another problem is many potential buyers long accustomed to the silky smooth gas V8s in previous half tons - would likely be put off by the heavy throb/drone of a large displacement 4 cylinder diesel running under the hood. (Think of Detroit series 50 in a city bus...). The NVH problem could likely be solved, though not without adding $$$ to the sticker price.

Interesting idea however!

My other diesel ride: The "Collosus of Roads": '79 Kenworth K100, tandem axle, 27' dovetail flatbed, NTC290 Cummins, 15 speed Roadranger.

Old tractors: '53 Farmall Super M, '53 Farmall Super H, '47 Minneapolis-Moline UTU.

My stuff
FarmallBobM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

I like the 3 year UNLIMITED warranty. Unlimited? Some delivery people might rack up 200K in three years and still be on warranty.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

The only problem with seeing an Isuzu diesel in an F-150, is that GM and Isuzu are tied at the hip, (if GM doesn't own them outright). If I were GM, looking for a 1/2 PU diesel engine, I think I'd just cut two cylinders off the duramax, and wham, have a 4.4L turbo V6 for my half-ton.

Our family had an 84' Chevette, with a 4-cyl. Isuzu diesel that racked up 300k+ miles in it's life, and got tossed around between family members. The poor thing had absolutely no power, but got 50mpg or better, and never had a wrench to the motor... I wish we still had that thing around now....
J_Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
LRH

Anyone wishing to figure the approx weight of the 5.2 Isuzu diesel, here are a few figures. First you need to know the weight of the GMPT 6.0 alum head V8. These figures will help you at least the extra weight of the diesel. A GM W/N series // Isuzu NPR model EB-104 (GMPT 6.0 gas w/4L80E, automatic, A/C, pwr, windows/locks, rear tank) has a wet weight (except fuel) of 3251 lbs front and 1810 rear for total of 5061........A model NB-154 with 5.2 diesel, Aisin automatic, eqipped as above gas model has a weight of 3484 front and 1887 rear for total of 5503. so it is 442 pounds heavier than the 6.0 The diesel has 2 group 31 batteries versus 1 for the gas.
EDIT: all the above are the shortest 109" w/base
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

[ QUOTE ]
The only problem with seeing an Isuzu diesel in an F-150, is that GM and Isuzu are tied at the hip, (if GM doesn't own them outright)...

[/ QUOTE ]

4wheel&offroad that i just got yesterday had a blurb that GM sold it's percentage of Isuzu off.

'03 F350 Dually, 6.0, Supercab, longbed, 4.10 LS, sport pkg, extremely RED, STRAIGHT PIPED, SCT Xcalibrator, full guages
- Job1 programming, Harpooned, Skweeker Mod, Zoodad Mod
- Did that thing that you're not supposed to talk about

'79 Bronco, 468cid Ford 460 marine motor, C6/NP205

Previous -'99 F250, Rg Cab XLT, 7.3/6spd, 3.73

Project truck
- '96 Cummins, 215hp/5spd, Diprocol guages, Plate & AFC full fwd, hi-capacity external lubrication system
To add: 2 1/2T axles, 46" goodyears, etc.
mudguppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2006, 10:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only problem with seeing an Isuzu diesel in an F-150, is that GM and Isuzu are tied at the hip, (if GM doesn't own them outright)...

[/ QUOTE ]

4wheel&offroad that i just got yesterday had a blurb that GM sold it's percentage of Isuzu off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but G.M. and Isuzu are still going to cooperate on different projects, like diesel engines. Most of Isuzu's commercial trucks sold in the U.S. are assembled by G.M. in Flint, MI..
Old 06-17-2006, 02:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Look at Isuzu's domestic market vehicles, namely their SUV's and trucks. Hombre = S10, Ascender = TrailBlazer, N-Series trucks = Kodiak Trucks, just to name a few. The Duramax is another prime example. Not saying the blurb in the magazine is wrong, but why would GM sell off a valuable asset???
J_Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)

[ QUOTE ]
... why would GM sell off a valuable asset???

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say why, but they do. General Motors works in mysterious ways.

A while back, they sold off their Electro-Motive Diesel division, builders of Diesel-electric railroad locomotives, just a couple of years before they decided to start developing on-highway hybrid-electric powertrains. The experience embodied by EMD employees would be quite valuable right about now.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
drcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

They spun off Packard Electric Division too...I would have told you they were crazy for doing that because they have such great products so widely used...but now Delphi is in the toilet.

Maybe Isuzu insisted that they be released...not having GM's pensions and other liabilities drag them down. It does seem like a strange time for a US automaker to be divesting itself of a presumably profitable Japanese company.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
They spun off Packard Electric Division too...I would have told you they were crazy for doing that because they have such great products so widely used...but now Delphi is in the toilet.

Maybe Isuzu insisted that they be released...not having GM's pensions and other liabilities drag them down. It does seem like a strange time for a US automaker to be divesting itself of a presumably profitable Japanese company.

Birken

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing is that many if not most of the spin-offs have done much better when spun off. Look at what Roger Penske did with Detroit Diesel.

Then look at what Ross Perot did with EDS.

EDS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.