How long does diesel fuel stay good - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PSDan000
How long does diesel fuel stay good

after its been pumped...how long can it sit before it cant be used? reason i ask is because i have had about 10 gallons sitting in my rear tank for about 6 months bc the fuel selector switch wasnt working properly. i fixed it this week and put some power service in it...jw how long its good for. thanks

dan

BTW...i think i paid about $1.69/gal for this fuel at the time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

1997 F-350 PSD, Cali Truck, 165k, 4x4, Reg Cab, LB, 4.10's, Auto, Sandpiper Diesel Performance 4" Exhaust, DIY Open Intake, Autometer Gauges, TS 6 pos Chip...more to come.
PSDan000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2005, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Re: How long does diesel fuel stay good

The bad thing about diesel is that it can collect water and grow algea. If you have used a cood conditioner like Power Service or Standadyn, you might be OK. If you can, draw some fuel out of the tank and look at it to see if there is any funk in there.

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, AB CODE CALIFORNIA TRUCK, 5 speed,CON-O SMFW modified by Southbend Clutch, ORU Reverse Shackle kit, 4:10, u.s. gear chip, IDM MOD BY ME , down pipe, 4 inch straight pipe, boost and EGT gauges,PRO COMP A/T's 305-70's, Bilstein's, ditched the k&n filter for an open element Baldwin PA 2818, kenwood & polk audio sound system.

2002 Excursion PSD 4x4 XLT Premium- BB Turbo , 6.0 IC, 8 inch Sky Jacker lift, FOX shocks with remotes, 35-12.50R17 BFG Muds mounted on 17x10 Boyd Coddington Billet wheels, ORU Frozen rotors, custom hybrid intake, DVD/2 monitors, Billet grill, XM radio, DP Tuner

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA POWERSTROKES MEMBER
mattymx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2005, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

I would say fill it up and keep on strokin'.
96' F350 4X4. E4OD tranny running Amsoil synthetic, 1 big tranny cooler and tricumulator springs and accumulator valve. Autometer guages, homemade intake, TS 6 position Chip (tuning by Diesel Innovations , Factory AIC, A/C mod, MBRP 4" Exaust, BDP Stage I injectors, Brakesmart trailer brake controller, T/C lockup switch
Soon to be installed: Innercooler (sittin at the shop), Big Oil, Built Tranny, Coolant Filter, HX hose, and some others. 350k miles.

Truck pics

Houston Area Powerstrokes
TimMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I would say fill it up and keep on strokin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. We have diesel powered equipment that we only run once
a year. --- we just start it up and use it.

while algae and water can be problems.--- it is much less prone to
'aging' than gas which loves to evaporate and leave gum where you don't need gum---and an engine that won't run.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Send a message via AIM to PSDan000

cool...used up the rest of what was in there and filled it back up with fresh tonight. truck did seem to run a little rougher than normal but all is well. probably change the fuel filter and go on from there. thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

dan

1997 F-350 PSD, Cali Truck, 165k, 4x4, Reg Cab, LB, 4.10's, Auto, Sandpiper Diesel Performance 4" Exhaust, DIY Open Intake, Autometer Gauges, TS 6 pos Chip...more to come.
PSDan000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

don't forget the diesel drugs. clogged injectors can cause problems
276,k miles 6.9 liter international havester enigine with dual tanks and rear wheel drive, maunual transmission push button glow plugs and inverter with master switch in dash, emergency strobe lights. Pretty plain factory truck. (burned out engine)
pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/curinb_2000/album?.dir=3ecf

1986 F-350, rust red, 4 door cab, with full size bed. 6.9l international still running hard. 2300 peak inverter for good ac power one cross toolbox and two side tookboxes. All round work on anysite work truck.
curinb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2005, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yup, pretty much what everyone else has been saying here.

Diesel has a pretty high "flash point" or the temperature at which the liquid turns to vapor. Gasoline, on the other hand, has a low flash point. What happens with gas is the most flammable part evaporates first at room temperature and if you leave it long enough you end up with varnish. As long as you don't store Diesel in an oven it'll pretty much last forever.

Ever throw a match in a puddle of Diesel? The match will go out (unless the puddle has been heated to the point of seeing visible white vapor). Diesel will also readily ignite in a fine mist or spray because the droplets are atomized or almost atomized at this point, kind of a "forced evaporation".

It's kind of like asking "how long will motor oil last"? But, as other people have said there are some strains of algae that just love Diesel fuel, throw in a little H2O and you have a slimy mess.
07' F-350 Crew, long box Lariat. 4" BDS lift, 20X9 MKW rims, 35x12.5x20 Toyo Open Country, stereo, Winch from old truck, Magnaflow exhaust etc. No tuner on this one. New Addition! - 2012 Mustang GT, 6 spd.
Old Truck
04 F-350 Lariat 4X4 Crew Cab 6.0, literally everything but moon roof and PTO. Good stuff: 4" lift w/35" BFG muds, Intake, exhaust, Edge-Juice/Attitude, AIC, Warn 12k Winch, stereo work etc, etc. http://community.webshots.com/album/282528994AiGTsv
(Latest pics at the end of others)
nuclrslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2005, 06:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

PSDan000

The big thing is to top the tank off completely when storing. Other wise you get condensation from the moister in the air in the tank.

Wayne B
2000 F-250 XLT PSD 4X4 ESOF Auto, SC, LB, Gauges, Mag-HyTech Trans Pan & Rear End Cover, <font color="red"> (((XM))) Inside</font>, ATV Racks w/ Two Kawasaki Prairie 400 4X4's sitting on them, 25' Rockwood TT. Ashburn, Va. Member # 103 Pictures

www.CarpathiaHost.com
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.