How much to rebuild an Detroit 8V92 in a bus? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2005, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much to rebuild an Detroit 8V92 in a bus?

Any rough ideas what the cost is to do an in-frame on a Detroit 8V92?

I'm looking at a bus with an 8V92 and unknown miles right now. I am assuming at some point it will need a rebuild.

The bus is a Prevost and will be taken to a Prevost service facility for a complete inspection before I even think of buying it.

Brian Elfert
belfert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How much to rebuild an Detroit 8V92 in a bus?

probably big bucks. I'd guess 20 grand or so from a reputable shop. but I guess if you can afford a prevost, then it's no big deal. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
really big crew cab dually on a 1985 GMC Topkick chassis with Cat 3208, Allison auto trans, and airbrakes. 1955 GMC Scenicruiser bus, 8v-71, Allison 6 speed auto. 1966 GMC 4107 bus, 8v-71, 4 speed spicer/grinder.
biggmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is a used Prevost seated coach for less than $20k with a 8V92, not a motorhome. Any MCI coach with a 8V92 is going for over $30k.

I want to do an inexpensive conversion to a motorhome.

The price may be cheap for a reason, so that is why I will spend $500 or so to have one of Prevost's factory service centers do a full inspection before purchase.

Brian Elfert
Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
lww

What year of Prevost. What tranny? (tired Allison = $ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]) Make sure they pull the air box covers and check the rings & oil sampling might help too.
Good luck, big job [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Lorne
Old 09-30-2005, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry, if you can wait a week I can ask the parts guy for prices. Send me a pm reminding me. I forget things most times. Oh, I am going on vacation for a week and I tend to forget all for that time period. Yes have the airbox covers removed and inspected, oil sample ok, mileage on engine/bearings, If you buy this coach then replace the mains and rod bearings. Yes take the oil sample, look for coolant in the oil. 1 tablespoon in the oil pan is enough to spin the mains on these 92 series. Yes 1 tablespoon.Look at the engine closely, look for unuse conditions, rust on the coolant system pipes, cracked/brittle hoses, bad oil leaks, If the coach is worth it then do a stall test to check for excessive smoke. Good way to check vehicle brakes as well. BTW, there is no inexpensive way to build a motor home. Start with a real repair job on the guts of the beast, The drive train. Then add the goodies. Seen a lot and seen some I would like to pass on working on. Good luck.
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
What year of Prevost. What tranny? (tired Allison = $ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]) Make sure they pull the air box covers and check the rings & oil sampling might help too.

[/ QUOTE ]

1989 LeMirage XL with 8V92 and Allison HT-750 S tranny

I need to call the salesperson again on Monday to get more details. The salesperson was claiming the LeMirage XL has under 72" of headroom which is why I didn't go any further. I have since talked to Prevost and they said that model has a minimum of 80" headroom. I think the salesperson just wanted to sell me an MCI instead.

The coach is being sold by MCI Coach. I'm guessing it was traded in on a MCI coach.

Brian Elfert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.