IH DT466E engine missing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IH DT466E engine missing

I have a problem with my 2006 4600 with a dt466e allsion auto, 35,000 miles. When its done shifting from 3-4 or from 4-5 at low rpms it will miss like the fuel shuts completly off for a split second. Then when it picks back up it spits a puff of dark gray/black smoke. It only does couple times only when its done with the shift. I think it is a timing problem or fuel delivery problem. There is no engine light on or anything. The international dealer has blamed it on and replaced: a pressure switch 2 times, the sars valve/motor 3 times, fuel filters, the engine oil, even the muffler. Then they relfashed the computer 2 times. Thankfully its still under warranty. It has done it since it was new. This truck is our main service truck and we cant keep having it in the shop. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I am loosing patience very fast.

Thanks
Eric
weasel79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Re: IH DT466E engine missing

Just a sugestion !
Check the grounds at the batery and the engine!

Fred
Fred Hemer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will check them, thanks!
2003 F-250SD XLT X-Cab short box March 03 6.0L Torque shift, manual 4x4 superwinch hubs, 121,000 miles,315/75/16 BF Goodrich mud terrains, autometer boost/fuel psi/tranny temp, AFE 4" straight pipe, tire clearance and guage photos
Old 01-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I checked the grounds. all ok, anything else??
2003 F-250SD XLT X-Cab short box March 03 6.0L Torque shift, manual 4x4 superwinch hubs, 121,000 miles,315/75/16 BF Goodrich mud terrains, autometer boost/fuel psi/tranny temp, AFE 4" straight pipe, tire clearance and guage photos
Old 01-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Pull the battery box cover and let me know if there are any black weather seal fuse caddy's in there? If there is usually 2 of those caddy's are for ecm control and one of the wires could be partially going to ground. they will run along the frame then above the starter, then to a couple of relays somewhere in the area of the ecm.
Post what you find I'll check back monday evening.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was just able to get online tonight. Let me check tomorrow and I'll let ya know.

Thanks
Eric
Old 01-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I removed the battery cover and the fuse holders were there. I Checked them over and followed them up to the relay area. I didnt visually see any areas where they have grounded. I need to cut the zip ties and pull the wires out so I can see them. Does the wire on those fuses go right to the ecm or relays? Can I remove the fuse and the other end of the wires and check for ground? I was looking around the engine and there are alot of spots where wireharnesses could be rubbing or are touching. Im going to try to pull it in the shop inbetween service calls.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Those wires are direcly routed to relays that power the ecm. Check to make sure the fuses are seated all the way into the caddies. Don't get crazy cutting zip ties, if there is a power to ground issue it is usually in the battery box or where the leads go through the frame rail and mate with the wiring harness. Also check all the wiring from the trans harness up to where it mates to the main harness. A loose or chaffing issue could be corrupting the data stream from the trans to the pcm causing the 3-4 shift stutter you are complaining about.

Good luck
Old 04-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Re: IH DT466E engine missing - update

The International dealer has had my truck for 6 weeks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] now and cannot seem to figure out what the problem is. They have replaced the ebp sensor 3 times, changed the engine harness, the computer and program, egr valve, sars valve, turbo, and the exhaust. The computer was changed due to taking one out of another customers truck in the lot and the truck ran great they said. That is why the computer and the program have been changed. Once they installed the new computer and the program it started missing again. The tec said he thinks it is in the program but cannot get the engineers to agree. They think there is an exhaust restriction.
Any thoughts or things I can suggest to them?
Thanks
Eric

Oh yeah I forgot:
2006 INT. 4400 DT466 5spd Allison Low Pro 36,000 miles
Old 04-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Re: IH DT466E engine missing - update

My father has an almost identical story with his DT466...I think they ended up finding out that it had a bad injector. Might now hurt to have the injectors tested, or at least ask your service guys if they have looked at them.

Sorry to all the loyal 7.3 guys, but I traded my '91 7.3 in on a 2002 F250 Ex cab V10 4x4. SCT Xcalibrator2 with tunes by Powerplay Performance. 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's. Took a long time to get used to the ping-pop of a cooling catalytic converter...LOL.

'85 Bronco swapped up to a 302 4bbl from the 300 I6, NP435 4spd, NP208, 32x11.50x15 Radial RVT's, Soon to be 6.9 turbo powered.

86 F350 Cab&Chassis with a dump bed. 2wd 6.9 and 4 spd tranny. No mods to engine.

2000 Volvo 660 N14 Cummins, 500hp 1650 ft lbs, Autoshift tranny 10spd.

What part of "SHALL NOT INFRINGE" do you NOT understand?
aceohearts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.