Inter DT466 1996 fuel problems? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Inter DT466 1996 fuel problems?

I have an International DT 466 1996 with a strange problem...
everyday in the early afternoon the truck just shout down on us and turned off every time the rpm drops a bit, never happened in the morning, we do manly short drives park and load for a few hours then drive 10-15 miles and park again (engine if off)
we have replaced 2 fuel pumps gas lines, checked and cleaned the tank ran air in the system,,, and so... the problem still occurs...
any ideas?
divicohen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2006, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Inter DT466 1996 fuel problems?

A 96 is an electronic engine and it could be a cam sensor. You should check for codes.
96' F-250 4x4 SB Crewcab, 3.55 gears, rebuilt E4od, Air bags, 2" leveler kit, 10 disc cd changer, Tymar intake, Tymar 4 pos TS chip, 4590 cooler, boost, pyro(pre-turbo) & tranny temp AutoMeter gauges mounted in pillar, Diamond eye 4" exhaust with lost kitty, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Warn hubs, Prodigy brake controller, Hypermax intercooler, CCV mod,17* HPOP, stage 1 injectors, fpr. Rebuilt tranny with pump and valve body mods, 3 disc torque convertor. Diesel mechanic 20+ years

My Pictures
fourhatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you leave the ignition switch on after it dies and look under the hood, what position is the fuel shutdown solenoid in? If it is in the off position, it could be either the relay or the solenoid itself.

Other than that, I don't have any specific ideas but it does sound like a fuel system problem to me.

Truck:'96 Dodge 2500. Cummins diesel. 5 speed. 192k. BHAF. KDP tabbed. Centerforce clutch. Silencer ring removed. Isspro EGT, Boost and fuel pressure gauges. Powertrax locker. BFG All Terrain TA's. Radios galore.
ericcklem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

If it is a 96 it does not have a shut down solenoid. Electronic engine and not the injection pump style with shut down solenoid.
96' F-250 4x4 SB Crewcab, 3.55 gears, rebuilt E4od, Air bags, 2" leveler kit, 10 disc cd changer, Tymar intake, Tymar 4 pos TS chip, 4590 cooler, boost, pyro(pre-turbo) & tranny temp AutoMeter gauges mounted in pillar, Diamond eye 4" exhaust with lost kitty, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Warn hubs, Prodigy brake controller, Hypermax intercooler, CCV mod,17* HPOP, stage 1 injectors, fpr. Rebuilt tranny with pump and valve body mods, 3 disc torque convertor. Diesel mechanic 20+ years

My Pictures
fourhatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry about the misinformation. I was thinking that it was a mechanical engine.

Truck:'96 Dodge 2500. Cummins diesel. 5 speed. 192k. BHAF. KDP tabbed. Centerforce clutch. Silencer ring removed. Isspro EGT, Boost and fuel pressure gauges. Powertrax locker. BFG All Terrain TA's. Radios galore.
ericcklem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

They have most of the same sensors as a Powerstroke, so a Cam Position sensor is the first to check.

Work truck:'94 IH 4900, DTA466 lightly bombed(#0 fuel plate, timing at 22*, 3 clicks tighter gov springs), Allison MT653, Voith retarder, and straight piped
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Could be a cmp, BUT the 1st place I would check is the prefilter fuel filter screen behind the fuel filter, it is by far the most negected item on any dt466. Remove spin on fuel filter, DIRECTLY behind the filter housing in line is a small plastic canister that houses a fine screen serviceable prefilter trap. It unscrews ccw then pull straight down. Pull screen and inspect and clean as needed. A word of caution,
THE PREFILTER AND THE FUEL FILTER MUST BE FILLED COMPLETELY WITH FUEL BEFORE YOU REINSTALL OR THE ENGINE WILL START THEN STALL AND IT WILL NOT RESTART UNTIL BOTH FILTERS ARE REPRIMED WITH FUEL.
(I'm not yelling just emphasizing the importance of priming the ff's)

Goodluck, Tim
Old 05-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

I noticed someone said to check the cam sensor. If the ca sensor is usally going bad it will cause the truck to blow blue and black smoke and loose power. I had to replace mine on my 96 dt466e.
MJP
Mikejp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Also there is a check ball over top of the prescreen. Accessible by the screw on top. While you are there check to make sure its intact.

BTW when a cam sensor hiccups and shuts down the engine, you won't get a light, but a code will set.

A fuel issue is possible, but if the engine shuts off like you hit the key, and starts right back up - you are typically looking at an electronic issue
Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've had some of those check valve/regulators in the back of the head get debris stuck in them. Its right behind the end of the High pressure oil manifold. Its attatched by a banjo fitting. You can take it off and take a look at it.

2001 Lightning - Oxford white, garage queen
DieselSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.