International 4700 DT360 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
International 4700 DT360

Hey guys.. this is my first post and I know that this question has been brought up.. sorry about the newb questions, but I'm new to this all.

How do I get a little more power out of my DT360 engine? I understand that if I'm looking for a lot more power then, I need to swap out to a DT466. Would that be a direct swap.. would there be any major modifications involved?

It's a 1992 International 4700 with an automatic transmission. I know it's an allison transmission and it only has three gears. Does anybody know if there is another Allison transmission that I can swap out with that has more gears so I can go faster than 60 MPH? It was really emabarrasing being passed by everyone while I was trying to get this truck home. It was running at 2800 RPM's and maxed out on the floor at 60 MPH. I figured I need more gears if I were to go any faster..any ideas? All I'm looking for is between 65-70 MPH..

Anyway. Thanks for your help..
Jake4700dt360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
More gears won't help unless one of the gears is an overdrive.

In that old Allison tranny, top gear was direct drive (1.0 to 1.0 ratio). What you want is about a 20 percent overdrive. Then when unloaded your top speed would be 60 plus 20% = 72 MPH. But understand that when loaded and in overdrive, you won't have enough power to pull the hair out of a gnat's hiney.

I don't know how to get a tranny with an overdrive that would bolt up to your engine. And I suspect that U.S.Gear and Gear Vendors no longer make an auxiliary overdrive that will bolt up to your tranny. And even if they did, a new auxiliary overdrive from one of those outfits will set you back well over $3,000 installed, so I doubt you'd want to invest that much in your 17-year-old truck.

One option that might be affordable would be to change the ring gear and pinion to achieve about 20 percent longer legs. That should cost only a few hundred dollars. If your truck has a 4.56 rear end now, then changing to a 3.73 ring gear would give you over 18 percent longer legs, or more than 10 MPH increase in top speed. But it would also reduce the power you have when loaded, so you might have to downshift to 2nd gear to climb some hills that you can now take without downshifting.

I don't know anything about a DT360 engine, and I can't find a mention of it on the International website. But it's only about 6 liters, so it's not kin to the old Ford 6.9L diesel of that time period. For the 6.9L engines, you could add a turbo and an intercooler and force a bit more power out of the engine. But that cost a few thousand dollars too.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 04-27-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: fixit
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the reply.. I did find out however that it's not a 3 speed transmission, but it's the 4 speed AT542 Allison transmission. I spoke to a couple of guys at the International dealer and while this engine is bulletproof as long as it's taken care of, it's not really a power house due to the displacement.

I also found out that the rear gears are 4:33. Basically the MPH is normal for that configuration and if I wanted more power and speed I'll need to upgrade to the DT466.. sounds fun...

Anybody know what I'll need to do to do this swap? Obviously I'll need the motor, but what other things will I need? Thanks
Jake4700dt360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you get a similar model/year 466 I think most everything would be the same. I think they were basically the same block, etc, except the 466 was bored out larger or had a longer stroke or something. like the IH 466 and the newer IH 530. or the detroit 11.1 and 12.7, they had different crankshafts and connecting rods was all. i don't know if that would necessarily give you the results you're looking for though. it would give you more power but when you're looking for speed, it's still limited by the rpms your engine puts out and the gearing you have to put those rpms to the ground. i mean, 2800 rpms out of a 360 still gives you the same driveshaft speed as 2800 rpms out of a 466. maybe look into taller tires too.
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.

Last edited by sdan27; 04-28-2009 at 07:01 PM.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here's how to up the fuel, even tho it's only going to be about 25hp. But for 10 min of work, and it's free, you cant complain. You can get higher flow injectors, pumps and turbos for these thanks to the sled pulling world. The DT360 is a tough little sucker, as IH has already told you. This is from my Low Buck Fuel Rate site:
To the rear of the pump on the top is 2 different allen plugs. The bigger one is the fuel rate, and the smaller is the star wheel, or pre-boost smoke adjustment.To do the fuel you take off the plug with either a 3/8" or 10 mm allen wrench. Now tie up the fuel shutoff sol. or pull cable in the run position and you will see the adjustment screw. You may need to put a brick or such on the accelerator to keep the screw in the right spot under the hole. Break the jamb nut loose with a 3/8" or 10 mm deep socket. A good trick is to use a skinny screwdriver that fits inside the deep socket you just used on the jamb nut. As you hold the nut with the socket, back out the screw(CCW) about 10 turns, then snug down the nut. Now pull out the socket & screwdriver to make sure you didnt go too far. Run the accelerator lever to make sure the screw doesnt come in contact with the pump. If you go too many turns, you'll see what I'm talking about. Then if it's ok, a good snug on the jamb nut and it's done. Note #1: if you get the screw too high, it'll hit the top of the pump and make the rpm stick. Note #2: If you drop the screw inside the pump you can retrieve it easily with a pencil type magnet, and it's not that easy to get out. Untie the shutdown sol. and remove the accelerator weight tool. Under the smaller allen plug is the star wheel. Take the plug off with either a 5/16" or 8mm allen wrench. Spin the star wheel towards the front of the pump(rotate towards the pass side) to increase low end power(smoke)and away for less low end smoke(essentially releasing the tension on the spring inside). The governor spring mods, and accelerator stop screw are the same as the newer 466's described above, except you cant use a Dodge/Cummins P-pump set of governor springs. I'm working on getting a shim to work on these MW pumps.

you could get the 360 to the 466's stock power level and still be reliable. Swap the engine out if you're planning on going past 250hp/500tq). It's going to be expensive, and you will need a lot of parts(SAE#2 to #3 adapter, bigger radiator, intercooler, possibly motor mounts, and some little stuff). In the end, it's not really worth the expense unless you really love the truck. Stick with the 4.33s, and go overdrive or taller tire.

Work truck:'94 IH 4900, DTA466 lightly bombed(#0 fuel plate, timing at 22*, 3 clicks tighter gov springs), Allison MT653, Voith retarder, and straight piped

Last edited by nevrenufhp; 05-02-2009 at 03:53 PM.
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

DT360

the main problem with going faster is the governor is set to about 2800 rpm International says the engines is good to 3200 but the life goes down because of it. My 92 with just about the same set up does 72 down hill with a tail wind and seventy most of the rest of the time when I first got it I could not get it over 60 then one day on a trip out to Galveston TX the floor mat moved and it jumped to 68 and settled at 70 71. next day 60 again. That was how I found out about the floor mats holding up the pedal.
Blacksmith54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.