Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   International Truck with DT466E engine (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f33/international-truck-dt466e-engine-138434/)

latemodelracer2 02-01-2007 11:43 PM

International Truck with DT466E engine

I just picked up a 02 international box truck with the 195 or 210hp engine in it(have to check on which one). Is there and chips or tuners out there for these trucks. Main reason would be to remove the limiter penske had installed on it when it was theres. 65mph can get you killed on the interstate in alabama. Not looking for much on power just 25-35hp and 50-75lb tq mainly move the limiter to 75mph

rvannatta 02-02-2007 12:31 AM

Re: International Truck with DT466E engine

75 can get you killed too. more than 15 over the speed limit ticket can do in your CDL as well. I'm quite content with the 65 limiter
and generally use the cruise control to keep it below that.

luckys420 02-02-2007 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
more than 15 over the speed limit ticket can do in your CDL as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

alabama probably has a 75 speed limit ( does it).

roofeditor 02-02-2007 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just picked up a 02 international box truck with the 195 or 210hp engine in it(have to check on which one). Is there and chips or tuners out there for these trucks. Main reason would be to remove the limiter penske had installed on it when it was theres. 65mph can get you killed on the interstate in alabama. Not looking for much on power just 25-35hp and 50-75lb tq mainly move the limiter to 75mph

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the gears a 4900 with 195 or the 210 can do 75 easily. If you have access to the Navistar program and the laptop hook up it's pretty easy to set the limit at any speed you wish. You can also go to the dealer and he will set it for you along with other parameters including desired idle speed and even more power. FWIW, we have 12 of these trucks and our own tuner program and we have set all trucks at 65 max speed. We have a few retards driving for us and if we set the limit at 75 they will drive 75. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

BTW on that same subject you can also bring in your F-250/350/450 and the Ford dealer can set your limit lower if safety and maintenance concerns you. One of my clients in south Florida has all his F-250's set at 75 and all the 450's set at 65 because they all tow equipment trailers. Generally towing equipment trailers at 85 mph is not safe and rakes havoc on the brakes and tires.

If I had a 4900 in real good shape and drove it ONLY long hauls I might set it slightly higher. Keep in mind that gearing plays in here, some are geared for hills and 65 or so is about red-line on the engine.

RE

v8440 02-02-2007 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
more than 15 over the speed limit ticket can do in your CDL as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

alabama probably has a 75 speed limit ( does it).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the limit in Alabama is 70.

90734x4 02-02-2007 08:29 PM

you know these trucks arent race cars, you should seriously reconsider adjusting anything, most people dont mind having to pass a truck on the interstate. i get pissed more when i have to pass a truck doing 75 than one doing 60

Mr_Roboto 02-03-2007 04:05 PM

The problem with the limiter at 65 is that if you have to pass someone doing 62 you can't get around them safely. Set it at 75 and you can cruise at 65 and still pass safely.

I used to drive for Schneider National, they had the trucks limited to 63 mpg, and the cruise control limited to 61 mph. Those trucks were so poorly maintained that even that was probably unsafe

fourhatz 02-04-2007 12:29 PM

If the road speed max is all you want to change that is a very simple change with a pro-link or lap top. If you pulled into a dealership alot of times we do not charge customers to change it. Only takes a couple of minutes to change. I would call your local IH dealer.

latemodelracer2 02-06-2007 11:53 PM

like some have said I would like the higher limiter and more power for passing. I still plain to cruise around 68-70 which is the legal limit. SO the dealer is my best bet for having this done? What should i ask for when needing power just say i need more or tell them the increase i am looking for

fourhatz 02-07-2007 07:50 PM

Just tell them that you need the road speed raised up to 75 or 80, where ever you want it. This will allow you to go that speed only if the you have the power to go that fast. To get more power aftermarket would be the way to go as it is very expensive to have the dealer reprogram for more power. These engines are very prone to scoring cylinders so be carefull with the power upgrades.

jbthomp 06-29-2010 06:33 PM

i am a tech at an international dealer and yeah like they said the road speed is easy to change but the hp....may as well forget it the dealer has to get the ok from international and then have to send the engine file to tech services to get it changed and loaded back onto the truck....can be very expensive. your better off just leaving it the way it is. because we usually see that at 250,000 they are ready for an overhaul anyway so any other configuration other than stock is just asking for trouble.

lone_star_dsl 06-29-2010 08:20 PM

I had an International 9200 that was a Walmart day cab in it's previous life. The road governor was set at 72 mph. Since the truck had a Detroit in it, I took it to the Detroit shop and had them remove the governor (I was the only driver) and I enjoyed every gain in MPH.

It's really nice to be able to keep up with traffic.

nevrenufhp 06-30-2010 05:59 PM

This thread is kinda old to be digging up.

The 466E can be hopped up like a powerstroke can, but with a couple differences. In a nutshell, injecotrs, turbo, and possibly ECM work can get one to 300+hp. You should really be the only driver, because that much difference in power can really break stuff.

dnl94 09-15-2010 11:46 AM

i have bought several of the internationals and had the speed sensor and cruise sensor set to 74, any international dealer and plug them in and set it up, can't do anything with the hp or torque.

kenj1982 06-10-2011 09:42 PM

dt 466e

anyone know if a dt466e out of a 1997 school bus will fit in a 2003 rollback? thanks for your help