Kitty Cat 3406B Mechanical - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kitty Cat 3406B Mechanical

I just bought a '93 Peterbilt 379 with a 3406B Cat. I was recently informed that she's been opened up to run as hot as she can go and I'm having problems with her blowing the flange/hose off the turbo aftercooler and when I get around 30psi on the manifold she start's "Barking" at me and losing power. I just checked my air filters(Duals) and they are clogged up like no tomorrow. I'm sure this is contributing to the problem, but need to know what else I should look for just in case this continues to occur.
ColoradoLogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Kitty Cat 3406B Mechanical

new boots and clamps
Old 12-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

Put tabs on either pipe and run cross bars between the tabs to keep the pipes from blowing apart from each other.

Tobin

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...00/ppuser/1520
Tobin LaBorde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

10-4 folks. I appreciate that and I did replace the boots and clamps. Now just waiting for my first load tomorrow to see for sure how they'll work. I do have another issue and am tryin to figure out how to fix it without spending any money right off the bat because the air filters and boots/clamps broke my bank for the time being. I've air leaks on my interaxle/5th wheel/dump valves and cannot seem to get them to slow down or stop. Even tried wrapping them tightly with electrical and duct tape, but doesn't see to be holding at all. Any idea's short of replacing the joints and lines?
ColoradoLogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'll bet you have A "C" Model.. Unless it's a glider.. What you are discribing is turbo surge.. I'm would think the plugged air filters was probably your culprit.. If you are boosting 30+ on a regular basis then the boots and clamps was money well spent.. Be sure the wastgate is functioning properly if it's not opening you could build excessive back pressure or boost...
2005 Black Clearcoat F-350 SC Lariat DRW 6.0 TS 4x4 3.73's....AIRAID, SCT From Innovative, Recovering from Bed Plate Surgery and ARP implants... Came back from shop with some un-needed parts in the bed. Coolant filter
85 F-250 XLT 4x4 6.9 T-19 Plenty of fuel
1998 379 Ext. 3406E 18 speed Rockwell 46,000 rears/3.42's 6.2 M.P.G. @86,000 lbs.
2004 Black Clearcoat F-250 Lariat CCSB 4x4 5.4} yeah I know but it hasn't been in the shop...
modifiedoneton21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
10-4 folks. I appreciate that and I did replace the boots and clamps. Now just waiting for my first load tomorrow to see for sure how they'll work. I do have another issue and am tryin to figure out how to fix it without spending any money right off the bat because the air filters and boots/clamps broke my bank for the time being. I've air leaks on my interaxle/5th wheel/dump valves and cannot seem to get them to slow down or stop. Even tried wrapping them tightly with electrical and duct tape, but doesn't see to be holding at all. Any idea's short of replacing the joints and lines?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed it is a little new for a b model. I have a '89 with a B in it. a stuck waste gate seems like a prospect as the boost pressure seems high to me....

As far as the leaking valves go---- always an issue with a truck that has abeen parked for a while. the valves get sticky and won't seat right. Worse if the weather is freezing.

Solutions include:
1) replacing the valves ---but costs money.
2) taking them apart and cleaning and oiling them. or
3) Disconnecting the feed line to them and squirting in some WS-40.
(Sheesh don't tell anyone about this)

Problem is they get some water in the air and then if the truck sits it rusts etc....
Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've seen B models as late as 94-95. Just look at truckpaper.com and you'll find lots with B's. The C model was not polpular with O/O so CAT sold both till late 95 I believe.
New ride 1995 FRTLNR FLD120 Reman DD12.7 470hp,13spd,3.08 rears.Yeah I know,all the DD bashing I've done and I go and buy one.With the reman in it for $14,750 my mechanic said if I didn't buyit he would.
4 SALE 1993 FRTLNR coe N14 460hp,13spd,single axle,all aluminum wheels.
claytonr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen B models as late as 94-95. Just look at truckpaper.com and you'll find lots with B's. The C model was not polpular with O/O so CAT sold both till late 95 I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the more emissions controls they have stacked on them the more groggy they have gotten. Our old 335 Cummins would move 'off the line' faster than our 3406B (with 425hp) with the same weight.

Of course if you held the pedal to the metal on the 335 in the process you also killed all the mosquitos in the county. the cat more or less restricted the fuel inflow to what the engine could burn. this greatly reduced the mosquito control benefits of the engine, but also took the edge off the acceleration rate.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C model mechanical had a few better advantages over the B---it was offered until late 97, People liked the C as of it were a B [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the more emissions controls they have stacked on them the more groggy they have gotten. Our old 335 Cummins would move 'off the line' faster than our 3406B (with 425hp) with the same weight.

Of course if you held the pedal to the metal on the 335 in the process you also killed all the mosquitos in the county. the cat more or less restricted the fuel inflow to what the engine could burn. this greatly reduced the mosquito control benefits of the engine, but also took the edge off the acceleration rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

those are SUPER easy fixes,,,,,all you had to do was bump the timing advance a smidge and turn the Air fuel ratio control a few turns in and presto [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] it would rip the 335 cummins in half.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

those are SUPER easy fixes,,,,,all you had to do was bump the timing advance a smidge and turn the Air fuel ratio control a few turns in and presto [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] it would rip the 335 cummins in half.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there was never a doubt who was boss after the freight was rolling. A related issue is that the unless dehorned a bit, the torque curve of the engine was a abit higher than the torque curve of the transmission of the day, and it is always disheartening to see a transmission countershaft in the rear view mirror. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C model mechanical had a few better advantages over the B---it was offered until late 97, People liked the C as of it were a B [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

the 3406E came out in '95, wasn't the EUI required to meet emissions at the time?
3406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

E models were on the market before the mechancials went away. for a window you had a choice.

Yellow dogs were pretty high on the totem pole then because cum-aparts weren't, and the venerable 2 cycle DD's had vanished.

there are always winners and losers in big technology shifts whether government mandated or not.

DD and cumapart had divided the diesel truck engine market for as long as it had existed (40 years in a big way)

then come emission rules. DD's 2 cycle design which had provided reliable low cost engines almost unchanged since the 1930's became hopeless. All the collective corporate knowledge that DD had of diesel engines suddenly became worthless. dd ultimately coughed up the model 60, which though apparently a good engine, was viewed an an unknown because it was so radically different than anything DD buyers were used to. Buyers stayed away in droves.

Cummins had an advantage. the cast iron could stay pretty much the same--and they only needed to reinvent the fuel system. Not as radical, and the result still 'looked like' a cummins engine.
Unfortuately (for them) some of the early 'improved models' had some quality issues. Sprinkle a few lemons around the trucks stops and in a few months every truck driver in the country knows the new fangled technology is a lemon even if there are only half a dozen bad ones on the planet.

This context left the market wide open for the yellow dog. they had a good reputation and had been poking around in the high end of the market. surprise, surprise, yellow dogs are everywhere.

that was last time there was a big change. Now we are moving into another big change. We got 4 or 5 big guns gunning for a market that has space for 2.5 survivors.

Yellow dog has bet the company on a different technology that all the rest of the market. Somehow it seems unlikely that in this market with too many players, the technology that they have won't make a difference. They will either make it big with the new generation or not be selling truck engines in 5 years. I just have no idea which.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the 3406E came out in '95, wasn't the EUI required to meet emissions at the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

YEs but hence the turn the fuel screw and put some timing advance in it and bump the air fuel ratio controller up a bit.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

I wasn't implying that the B was better than the C but that O/O liked them better. When the E engines(black,green,or yellow it didn't matter) many O/O were keeping their old trucks because they didn't want any of this new fangled technology. Who cares if they got better fuel mileage and lasted longer,you couldn't turn the screw and put it on manual if something went wrong. Heck, i still know guys running 3408s,KT's,A models and BC's because they don't like the computers. Some dudes don't like change and alot of drivers are like that. Me ,I like the WAY better fuel mileage and when something goes wrong I just pull the codes and look at my code sheet and usually i can fix it myself.
New ride 1995 FRTLNR FLD120 Reman DD12.7 470hp,13spd,3.08 rears.Yeah I know,all the DD bashing I've done and I go and buy one.With the reman in it for $14,750 my mechanic said if I didn't buyit he would.
4 SALE 1993 FRTLNR coe N14 460hp,13spd,single axle,all aluminum wheels.
claytonr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.