The Diesel Stop banner

My wife wants a new Diesel SUV, which one?

7K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  frobozz 
#1 ·
Like the title says, who makes a new "smallish" SUV with a diesel? Were looking at something about like a Ford Explorer or expidition, Chevy Tahoe, or the like.
She has put up with, and finally agrees with my BD habit, and now she wants one too.

Were looking to buy new, and yes I already know about the "biodiesel will void your warranty" stuff.

I'm in Texas, so it has to be available in the US.

Does anybody know who makes a SUV, which will work well on BD?

#2 ·
There are only 2 smaller SUV's around that are new. The Jeep Liberty and the BMW X3. Ford only has the Excursion for a diesel SUV and Chevy does not have one at all.

#3 ·
The Liberty's very peppy, and has good fuel economy, and doesn't cost as much as the BMW or some other luxury options (is the Mercedes G-wagen even still available here?)

Mark

#4 ·
The wagon is not here anymore, but Mercedes is giong to import their new 320 sedan in 2007 along with other diesels from what I have heard/read. That is a nice engine in that car.

#6 ·
I totally forgot that VW has a V10 diesel Taureg (SP?). It has 310Hp and I think 520TQ. Very strong numbers and I like the car as well. I see one at work from time to time and think I could really have fun in that.

#7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I totally forgot that VW has a V10 diesel Taureg (SP?). It has 310Hp and I think 520TQ. Very strong numbers and I like the car as well. I see one at work from time to time and think I could really have fun in that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want one of those, you're going to have to pick it up used - they got a few hundred in the US at the end of the 2004 model year, then the EPA hosed them for 2005 and they had to cancel the scheduled US production for that year. I guess they gave up for 2006/2007 since the ULSD will change everything again. Here's hoping it comes back.

I heard one at a filling station once - very quiet!!

Duncan

#9 ·
Re: Not exactly "smallish", but...

Im not a chevy guy, but i think that duramax suburban is pretty cool. Im tryin to talk mom into trading her suburban(gasser) in and getting one of those. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#11 ·

There are many that hope you're correct about this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#12 ·

The diesel suburbon is cool but I'll keep my 04 4x4 PSD Excursion. It's a great truck.

#13 ·
[ QUOTE ]
There are only 2 smaller SUV's around that are new. The Jeep Liberty and the BMW X3. Ford only has the Excursion for a diesel SUV and Chevy does not have one at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have liked that BMW--looked on the BMW web site and saw gasser listed only--did I miss something?

#15 ·
I don't know about the Liberty having such good mileage. I heard a commercial for it the other day and I thought they said up to 26 mpg. I didn't think that was too impressive and thought I misheard the commercial. I looked it up on their site and it is that low! It was 22/city, 26/hwy. That is not very impressive. Our 3.0L V6 Ford Escape AWD that we had would get 24 mpg average city/hwy in a comparable vehicle. I was really considering one of these Libertys until I heard this, they have to do much better than that. It still would be an improvement over the wife's Pacifica though!

#16 ·
" I was really considering one of these Libertys until I heard this, they have to do much better than that. It still would be an improvement over the wife's Pacifica though!"

Can your Pacifica tow 5,000 lbs?

Avoid the first year Liberties, they had transmission problems.

#17 ·
The VW has a cool engine, and they are really nice to drive, but the reliability is lame. So many dumb problems that you would hate it. I run an independent VW garage and I never suggest the Touareg to my customers (with any of the engine choices).

FWIW, this is the engine that Audi based their LeMans winning racecar on.

#18 ·
The Pacifica doesn't tow anything, that is what my F250 is for! My Golf is for my work commute, it would be nice having all diesels for when I start making biodiesel, but like I said the Liberty needs to do better than 26 mpg, I don't need it for towing.

#19 ·

[ QUOTE ]
According to my local rep, Ford should come out with an Expedition LX with a diesel option in 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]

They told me the same lie in 97, 98 and again in 99 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif when I finally read about the Ex PDS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That's why I ordered and got the first one on the east coast in August 99. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Still got it. Put 325/50 20's on it in '01. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif I wish I could have bought a VW Diesel v-10 in 04. They pull stronger than the 00 PSD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif They were unobtainable when I went to find one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Chrysler will have a line up of benz powered units in 6 months or so. We'll have to wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

#20 ·
"FWIW, this is the engine that Audi based their LeMans winning racecar on."
I haven't heard anything on this yet but, it sure would be
nice to know. It's a fascinating turn of events. It changed
a lot of peoples perceptions of what a diesel is capable of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#22 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The diesel V-10 is available now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the US it isn't, thanks to the EPA! VW was forced to abandon their 2005MY V10 Touareg plans, and seemingly ended up deciding to just bag it until the new ULSD fuel was available...but I haven't heard when/if they will be selling it in the US again now that the fuel is here.

There are a few hundred 2004 V-10 Touaregs in the US, and that's it.

Duncan

#23 ·
Yes it is or will be soon but NOT FOR VERY LONG.

There will be a 3 month window where you WILL BE ABLE TO BUY A V10 TOUAREG. I read about it then confirmed it with a salesman I know personally.

I've been waiting for a mid sized Diesel SUV for a long time too. The Excursion is too expensive and truck like and the Liberty (sorry to the folks who like it) just doesn't cut it. It's cute and I like the looks but it rides poorly and is tiny inside. It was jostling me on a glass smooth brand new highway. Before you Liberty Lovers jump all over me, I'm not really fond of small SUV's so there is some bias in play.

But now there are more options starting NEXT MONTH!!

Mercedes R320 CDI coming out next month
Mercedes ML320 CDI coming out next month.
Grand Cherokee with MB Diesel coming out in Jan. or Feb.
Mercedes GL(???) coming out for 2008
Volkswagen Touareg with a V6 Diesel coming out for 2008

And yes, if you really want to drop $60 to $70K for a 10 cylinder Touareg, call your VW dealer right now . . . and I mean RIGHT NOW. I for one think it's overkill and overpriced but the people on the VW forums who have them absolutely love them and would hunt me down and kill me if they saw this!

#24 ·
Glenn;

"I for one think it's overkill and overpriced but the people on the VW forums who have them absolutely love them and would hunt me down and kill me if they saw this!"

If the cost wasn't a concern, I'd be tracking one down myself.
Not enough room for the family to take a trip in but, short trips
would be a BLAST! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#25 ·

I don't think that we have the ability to ask "which one" when it comes to diesel SUVs here in america. The Liberty is the only option for a diesel SUV and it's being pulled from production in a couple of months. There will be an 07 emissions compliant grand cherokee in late 07 and the libery should come back in diesel form in a couple of years. That's it. That's all we have right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.