The Diesel Stop banner

A new project...a John Deere tractor!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  LMJD 
#1 ·
I'm looking forward to this old guy. He's been in an old Chicken barn for years. Undisturbed.
All the Descendent can recall is that it had "Fuel problems".:yesnod:

IF
it was the 'scum' or 'algae' that develops in Diesels, I'm assuming I'm gonna have the Fuel system all apart and have to clean it out.
What Chemical would I use to do that with?:icon_rolleyes:

Also, is there a Chemical I can pour into the tank, and Pump it through the system that will clean it all with just that little bit of labor.

I haven't seen this old guy up close yet. But I'm just itching to get to him. When I get his numbers, I'll get the book:read:

I've been away from Diesel's for a long time. It's good to think about getting back.

#2 ·
Go to a parts store or a tractor place and ask if they have the diesel additive that handles algae in the fuel. Some places have it, some don't. If you are lucky, and it is algae, it should have never made it past the fuel filter. So all you would have to do is blow the lines out and change the filter. I don't think it wouldn't hurt to remove the lines and blow each out to make sure it's clear. Drain the old diesel out and see what it looks like. If you put new fuel, put some diesel additive and/or two stroke engine oil in it to help lube the fuel system. Most Deere's have a mechanical fuel pump with a primer, so you can prime the system. Worse case is you have to get a new mechanical pump, diaphragm might be bad. Smell the engine oil, see if it has any diesel smell....usually when the diaphragm goes it leaks into the crankcase.

Next you'll have to change out the oil....hopefully it is still black and not any other color. All depends on how long it sat around..... If it were me, I would pull the injectors and pressure test them to see if they still crack open. Plus, it would allow oiling the cylinders prior to cranking the engine...lube them up.

Is it a big Deere (row crop tractor) or a small one? A six or four cylinder engine? I know most of the Deere's.... If it's an older row crop Deere, odds are it's a 24V starting system with the batteries in the compartment below the op platform (left/right)- ie the 3010, 3020, 4010, 4020's. Powershift or Syncro trans? If it's a smaller Deere, it'll prob. be a 4 cylinder w/ a 12V starting system. They were all sycro trannys- two lever gear on the tranny hump.

#3 ·
Thud...

Post some pictures when you get the chance of your barn find.

Herk

#4 · (Edited)
Thud...

Post some pictures when you get the chance of your barn find.
Herk
For sure! "Project" seems to be the key phrase:no:. I bought an old Ford tractor this last fall, engine quit on me in my pasture 2nd day I had it. So far overhauled carb, distributor (freed up centrifugal advance) points and condenser, resealed loader lift rams, bucket tilt rams, replaced right axle seal plus new brake linings, both sector shaft seals, new starter drive, new oil in all gearboxes and engine, aftermarket park brake kit and drawbar. Most all of this during the lowest winter temps. Hopefully now if the ground ever thaws I can use it instead of work on it. On a postive note, I found there's an unlimited amount of forums, printed manuals, parts manuals, parts outlets, great advice (even on repainting) on all brands of these old tractors all over the internet. You shouldn't have any trouble getting any questions answered at all. And like posted no matter what, I'd put in new fuel, filter, and add an algaecide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.