The Diesel Stop banner

Newb looking for some info

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ajohansson 
#1 ·
I found a 7.3L F250 with 66k miles on it for $20,000. The truck is immaculate inside and out.

Only problem I am having is that I've never owned a diesel and i do not know anything on which motor is the best that ford has the 6L or the 7L.
What problems to look for.
Any Recalls on certain parts.
Anything that is a common repair.
i know that motor with only 66k miles is just a baby.

ANY INFORMATION THAT YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE AWESOME!

Thanks, Justin

#2 · (Edited)
a 7.3 other than the stock tranny is bullet proof. if you get the 7.3 swap
in a 6.0 tranny cooler. I have two 7.3s and bought first one with 72k miles and only stuff so far at. nearly 100k miles has been a sensor 150
bucks and i blew a high pressure oil line but that may have been
my fault but cost 500 after long tow a new hose and oil. I suspect one of my veg oil lines rubbed against the high pressure oil lines causing it to fail.

The 6.0 gets a bas rap
but you can get a 6.0 cheaper and newer than a 7.3. they just require about 2k worth of changes if you
dont want to do tons of hp. EGr delete, coolant change to
ELc, and a few more. go to www.biofueltechnologies.com and check their discussion forum. there is a good one going about the 6.0 and whats required to make it bullet proof. im sure you can find plenty on here too. One thing about a 6.0 is u have to lift the cab up to do major overhaul
like head work.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#4 ·
to put in a 6.0 cooler is about 250 bucks for the cooler and you could do it your self as it just drops in. there are tons of write ups on here for it. this just keeps the tranny fluid so much cooler as its a huge cooler like 4 times the size. then just run your tranny till it breaks. mine has 172k and still kicking. when it does break get a good one from BTS (brians truck shop) or John woods thats gonna be about 3k

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.