The Diesel Stop banner

NJ Laws on diesel conversions

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  toddman35 
#1 · (Edited)
I own a 95 jeep yj and want to do a conversion to a 4BT diesel engine and i am having trouble finding out what i have to do to make it legal. any information would be helpful.

#2 ·
long shot, but maybe try asking the inspection station supervisor. everything is tied to the vin numbers..

short story, i took my 91 diesel benz in after it s engine replacement, inspection station techs in rahway said this is gas converted to diesel :lol:.....
they keep saying it s a new engine... i replied i hope so, i just spent 10k on it ! !

i had to educate them on the mb line up for cars in 1991 and yeh , it came from the factory with the diesel.

#3 ·
I believe its the same for diesels, but its illegal to put an older gas engine into a newer car. So if you're worried about it legal and getting it inspected, get an engine newer than '95. There's also some emissions stuff to worry about, but I don't remember enough about how that works (may not even be applicable for diesels) to comment on it. You may need to keep the engines exhaust system (IE if the engine came with a cat, you'll need a cat even if the car doesn't have one), something along those lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.