Perkins Diesel wont start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Perkins Diesel wont start

We have several aircraft Ground Power units which run Perkins 4 cyl engines. We have one that just won't start. We have fuel pressure all the way to the point where the lines go to each injector. Bone dry from that point on. There is a solenoid were swapped to another unit we knew ran and it did just fine. Other than that it looks like the fuel pump assembly. Does anyone have any expearence with these things?
Early 99 F250 Crew Cab. South Texas Outfitters grill guard and bumper. Rhino linered bed covered by a SnugTop Snuglid. Homemade Tymar. Rockford/Fosgate speakers. Nitrogen filled tires and a quiet torque converter. 98 gal bed mounted aux tank. PIAA pencil beam lights. 5 oz of ceramic ballance beads in each tire. Smoooooth Otherwise quite stock.
Airplaneguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Perkins Diesel wont start

This post brings back memories. I used to work on Carrier transport refrigeration units that used 4 cyl. Perkins engines. If the glow plugs are working, and it has fuel to injectors we would pour a little motor oil down the intake to get the compression up enough for them to start. The old Perkins were really tough to get going sometimes, especially if they had been sitting up for any length of time. If you do have to pour a little oil down its throat, be careful, too much can hydraulic the engine. Once it starts, everything within 25 feet will get covered in oily soot spots until it burns all the oil out of the intake.

We also ocassionally had use 24 volts to crank them if they were really bad. The 12 volt starters don't last long doing this though.
bigk7223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know I'm not suppose to use starting fluid but we were able to get it to run by shooting the stuff down the intake. But as soon as we stopped the engine died. Still think it's a fuel starvation problem. I do like the oil down the intake. I may get rid of the pidgons that crap everywhere. Since it an AF base they don't take kindly to any kind of weapon.
Early 99 F250 Crew Cab. South Texas Outfitters grill guard and bumper. Rhino linered bed covered by a SnugTop Snuglid. Homemade Tymar. Rockford/Fosgate speakers. Nitrogen filled tires and a quiet torque converter. 98 gal bed mounted aux tank. PIAA pencil beam lights. 5 oz of ceramic ballance beads in each tire. Smoooooth Otherwise quite stock.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

No air getting into system anywhere huh?
2007 Honda 500 Rubicon
johndeere5220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

we have a skid-steer that has a little four cylinder perkins. had some problems with it awhile back because it was drawing air at the fuel filter housing. the filter was a cartidge type that fit into a small plastic canister. i got that fixed and then cracked the lines at each of the injectors and had someone turn it over till i got fuel out of each one and then retightened and has run fine since. otherwise it was the same way though, no fuel to the injectors.
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Do the injector lines squirt good streams of fuel at each injector when the engine is spun over? If not check the fuel solenoid and make sure it is opening. Sometimes adding a little air pressure to the fuel tank will help bleed the system out and show hidden leaks in the system. If it has glow plugs they are more than likely ruined now, starting fluid will knock the tips off of them almost instantly.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)

I had a miller welder with a Perkins give me early gray hairs. IT had been stored for 3 years without running and the fuel in it had gone sour with nasty al gee in it. I changed filers drained cleaned and flushed the fuel tank and it refused to start. it would crank for days but wouldn't fire.

turns out the faded front control panel there was a fuel pump shut off override that you had to hold down when starting. IF you didn't the electric fuel pump wouldn't feed the injector pump. you had to hold the button until the machine made enough oil pressure to over ride the low oil pressure shut off and then it would run for days on end like a sewing machine.
1994 7.3 I.D.I.T. factory turbo, auto 2x4 DRW with lots of upgrades, 11 transmissions under 100K factory warranty. 280,000 miles Currently Cavitated and parked.
96 F-800 24'flat 5.9L cummins, 4spd allison juice brakes.
89 F-800 6.6L 5+2 27,00lbs light weight with National 556A crane behind the cab.
2006 T800 KW 550 C-15 18spd 22K front, 52K rears murray ramps, 195" W.B. CA spec heavy haul SOLD
2006 Murray 16 tire professional lowbed SOLD
1996 fetherlite 4 horse GN, Walton 18' 14K tag tilt equipment trailer.
Dualie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

You probably have air in the injection pump which is a bear to bleed. Should have two small bleed screws (usually takes an 8mm wrench if I recall correctly or 5/16") Bleed the IP from both screws till you have clear fuel coming out with no air. Then tighten them up and crank while the injection lines are loose at the injectors...once you see fuel coming from all the injection lines tighten them all up, crank some more and should start up if not give it a whiff of ether and she should get going. When bleeding make sure throttle is at max.
1985 F250XL, 6.9L, C6, 4x4 (BW1345), Dana 44HD front, Dana 70 LS 3.54 rear, 190,000 miles, Rebuilt longblock (88,000 miles), ARP studs, electric fuel pump, Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks, Velvet-Ride Shackles, Firestone Airbags all around, Transfer Flow fillnecks, lots of gauges, Line-X, Jordon Brake Controller, B&M Stacked Plate Transmission Cooler, TCI Aluminum Transmission Pan, Banks Sidewinder (wastegated)
shimonmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Update. the injection pump is getting fuel all the way to the rotery pump. Past the pump to the injectors is still a no go. We applied a small amount of pressure to the tank and we had fuel flowing out of the inlet side of the pump, discharge is a different story. We are not sure how to disassemble the pump so I'm hesitant to do so. Looking to Diesel Injection to see if they can rebuild the pump. A new will cost a cool $4000. Not my money but geez I would like to get a pay raise this year.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

There should be a banjo fitting on the pump that has a little screen inside it, clean it out good and try again.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

You should be able to get that pump rebuilt for less than $500. I just got a quote for a 4 cyl 318 pump rebuild (CAV pump) and it was around $500.
Tim
My Truck 1972 F-350 4x4 Extended cab 14-36 Swampers, 97 Powerstroke, 4 position chip with custom tunes, 3" downpipe, 5" exhaust, 99 intercooler, DIY E-fuel, Dana 60 front, 70 rear, lockers in both ends.
<font color="blue">72 POWER STROKE</font> <font color="red"> INTERIOR PICTURE </font> <font color="blue"> ENGINE PICTURE </font>
Wifes' Grocery Getter 99 F-250 SD 4x4 XLT Lariat 4 door. 7.3, Auto, 4 pos Bullydog chip, 3 1/2" downpipe, 5" straightpipe, Genuine Tymar, Stage 1 Monsterbox, 33-12.50-16.5's
72Pstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Number 2 just gave up the ghost. Pulling the pump on one to see if there is some kind of blockage.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

We think we found the problem with the engines. Since two went down we started to suspect a common problem. We drained the tank and sure enough the nastiest slime you would ever see. My guys asked if I wanted the stuff to put in my truck. Just smiled and said, no. Anyway it turns out the Government has switched from regular diesel to bio diesel. This stuff is causing all kinds of problem in all equipment on base. I know there is a cleaning property to the stuff but a slime that can't be desolved by anything other than alcohol. We tried to remove one of the pumps with no joy. so we are going to fill the back of the pump with alcohol and see if we can break up the restriction. I tried to get diesel injection service in San Antonio to quote a rebuild of the injection pump but they must make allot of money and don't need ours. Thanks locomotive breath for the help. Will keep you posted of how this turns out. Also we are switching to JP8
Old 09-09-2007, 12:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)

just send it to the DRMO. did the fuel filter not catch the sludge before it got the IP?
1994 7.3 I.D.I.T. factory turbo, auto 2x4 DRW with lots of upgrades, 11 transmissions under 100K factory warranty. 280,000 miles Currently Cavitated and parked.
96 F-800 24'flat 5.9L cummins, 4spd allison juice brakes.
89 F-800 6.6L 5+2 27,00lbs light weight with National 556A crane behind the cab.
2006 T800 KW 550 C-15 18spd 22K front, 52K rears murray ramps, 195" W.B. CA spec heavy haul SOLD
2006 Murray 16 tire professional lowbed SOLD
1996 fetherlite 4 horse GN, Walton 18' 14K tag tilt equipment trailer.
Dualie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

I have found some fuel tanks on the machines I work on to have bacteria in them. It looks like a slime type stuff. Almost like snot. Its far and few in bewteen but they are there. It is a possibility.
2003 F-250SD XLT X-Cab short box March 03 6.0L Torque shift, manual 4x4 superwinch hubs, 121,000 miles,315/75/16 BF Goodrich mud terrains, autometer boost/fuel psi/tranny temp, AFE 4" straight pipe, tire clearance and guage photos
weasel79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.