Ranger 4 Cyl Diesel questions. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Ranger 4 Cyl Diesel questions.

I had an 85 Dodge D-50 with the Turbo diesel. It was the Mitsubishi 2.3L and we liked it. It was pretty powerful and once you got him out on the road and all stirred up he'd go about 85 Mph. It got 25 Mpg too. We liked that part a lot.
It was an expensive bugger to fix though.

Later, after we sold it, we realized we liked it and looked for another one. Nope! Most of them rusted themselves to death.

Then somebody told me the little Ford Ranger had that same engine? Is that true?
If so, where would I go to find a forum for those little trucks with the big engines?

Does anybody on this forum have or had one?
Feel free to pm me if you dont want to clog up the forum.
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I remember seeing one on ebay about 6 months ago. It was 20 minutes from me. I was going to buy it just to buy it lol. It has a 4d55 mitsubishi according to someone selling parts on ebay. Looks like there is a cam and a head for sale. Also a couple manuals. Maybe the Bronco II had it as well.

Good luck with your search.

2001 Lightning - Oxford white, garage queen

Last edited by Believer45; 01-03-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: General posting rule #1
DieselSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
they were in rangers and broncoII. I think I remember seeing a perkins in one but dont know if that was aftermarket. Do remember seeing the 2.3 though.
You can stilll find them as they had other applications. They seem to be more popular in europe and brazil.
I too saw one recently on ebay...sometimes i see one on craigslist
Good luck hunting
1993 Crewcab 4x4 coverted extendcab,7ft bed , upgraded rebuilt E4OD w/ shift, new shocks, 3.55, Eagle aluminum wheels,1996 bumper, front buckets, ATS turbo w/ 4inch custom exhaust in process,60 gal aux tank for alt-- err extra fuel

1984 300SD single tank mix doing great

1998 Mountaineer FOR SALE

1994 Bronco w/ 1995 Lightning motor..wa hooo
jski55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hello,
I used to own a Ranger with the diesel engine. It was my first vehicle. Always got 33.3MPG! The overhead cam engine mentioned was a 2.3L, the first engine was a push rod engine of 2.2L displacement and they also made a 2.3L Turbo charged version in the 2.3L. The 2.2L was built by Mazda, not sure on the 2.3L versions.
Some trucks had the XLT trim w/A/C and Pwr stering. Mine only had a heater and manual steering. They are reliable , but expensive to repair if you are not a mechanically inclined person.
If you buy one, it is far cheaper to repair the alt. and starter @ a competent shop. If your fuel system components fail, then a injection shop might help. In 1994 when I traded mine for a F250 Turbo Diesel parts were getting hard to find. I purchases the last shift fork for the Mitsubishi gearbox it had (So they said @ Ashville powertrain.) The trucks also had a 5 speed xmission, mine was a 4spd. Mail any questions to me u-like.
JDRenterprise@msn.com
JDRenterprise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

yaaa the rangers usualy had the perkins 2.2 diesel instead of the mitsubishi 2.3l turbo Diesel but occasionaly u will see one but there still pretty rare.

easyest way to find parts for this motor: ther is none truxt me ive tryed, you have to hunt them down and when u do there not exactly cheep.

Small pickups with the mitsubishi 2.3l Turbo Diesel:
83-85 Dodge Ram 50/D-50
Mitsubishi Mighty Max
85-88 Ford Ranger/Bronco II
ASimonsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.