rear main installation DT466 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rear main installation DT466

Installing a Rear Main Crankshaft seal on the 1987 DT466. The new seal has a ware sleve and seal in one piece. Do I need the special tool to install this? The tool cost $300.00 +. Will a large piece of wood or heavy piece of steel work as good? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
internationalih is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2005, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Re: rear main installation DT466

[ QUOTE ]
Will a large piece of wood or heavy piece of steel work as good?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've carefully used either one on various diesel engines, including DT466's. You always want to coat the inner surface of the Speedi-Sleeve with the brown Aviation Permatex. It's called by a different name nowdays, but still the same thing.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2005, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

A flat peice of metal will drive the wear sleeve on but then you have to get the seal on after!??Most of these seals and wipers are installed with a one peice seal driver (puller inner)!Don't know what to tell ya!?one thing for sure ,Be sure to install the fly wheel to push the wiper in far enough before you try putting the seal in and make sure the seal is far enough in to not rub the dust lip on the seal!Meaning the wiper protrudes beyound the seal facing you just a little Aprox 32 of an inch!As was mentioned Put sealant on the wiper good quality rtv ,pernatex ulta I have also used lock tight. <font color="red"> BE SURE YOU DRIVE THE WIPER IN SQUARE OR YOU WILL REGRET EVER STARTING THE JOB </font> If you can mount the fly wheel afterwards and run the engine with the trans off for 15 minutes then remove the flywheel and check your work!You don't want to do it twice!

Fred
Fred Hemer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2005, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Many thanks to you for your reply. Now I am going to do it right, get the tool to install the seal so the job is done right the first time.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Looking at the current seal, with 220,000 miles on it, I see a small spray pattern on the flywheel houseing. Is this a normally occuring pattern for the mileage on this seal, or is this not worth the trouble? I am replacing the AT545 with a MT653RD transmission and now want to cover all my needed service on the unit.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Unless theres a trail of oil running down ward at the bottom of the seal and the bell housing is soaking wet and you DO NOT have a proper seal installer LEAVE IT alone or get the right stuff to do the job!You can make problems worse by installing the seal with out the proper stuff.If you had a seal that was soaking the bell housing down and you have the seal in hand it MIGHT BE WORTH RISKING the install with out the installer?But if not done corectly you can open up a can of worms!If its just weaping leave it alone!

Just my opinion!
<font color="red"> Even with the seal installer ,install the fly wheel with a few bolts and remove it again to make sure the wiper is in the correct location. and the seal dustlip isn't rubbing the flywheel If your using a teflon seal DO NOT put oil on the seal or wiper it needs to go in dri </font>

Ya really don't want to do the job twice!
If equiped with a double disc clutch be sure the intermediate plate is free on the dowels. 7 to 10 thou gap on each dowel min and install a new pilot bearing.

Fred
Old 11-27-2005, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I do a few a these a Month.I would definately NOT try the Insatllation without the Installer.You will never "Get it Right" so to speak.The Tool installs the seal and wear sleeve simultaneously.The sleeve stays in the wiper during this process.International reccomends Installing the seal dry and Putting a few dabs of Red locktite on the cranksnout before you start the proceedure.This is just for the sleeve.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
lww

To avoid buying different installing tools (cheap sort of 3 engine dealer that I was) I've kept a bin of various sized round steel plugs and rings for installing the dry seal/ sleeve assemblies while together. Usually measuring the intrusion of the seal prior to replacement helps put the new one back to the same spot. Couple of taps per tool &amp; back and forth a few times, with a depth mic. to insure things are square.
Never had a leaker or comeback but its a bit fiddly compaired to a proper tool.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

I see what you mean, use the theads on the crank shaft to "press" in the new seal. I will give it a try.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just be sure to check the depth and make sure to do each bolt in small increments to keep it square.Remember Lorne has likly done it a thousand times your going to do it once we hope.
Let us know how it goes!

Fred
Old 12-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

I ran out of time and put the flywheel back on the unit. Now am fitting a mt6543rd where a at545 once was. I am making this unit into a horse trailer hauler for my kids. The old seal had only a small amount of spray and will not hesitate to pull the MT653RD if needed

Thanks for all your advice.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.