Rebuilding a Series 60 Detroit - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rebuilding a Series 60 Detroit

I have a 12.7 new style series 60 that has 1,088,000 on it. My oil tests so far are coming back clean. But I know its time for rebuilding is around the corner. I plan on doing a inframe myself, so I've been getting some price quotes. Detroit wants 10,506 bucks for a nice kit. that includes Superoverhaul kit(which includes lower bearings,liners,pistons,reman head,head bolts,rocker arms, gaskets), camshaft (extra 521 bucks), injectors (6 pack extra 1900 bucks). This seems high since there's no labor involved. Or do you guys think thats about right. I also get 1 year 100,000 mile warranty. I found some other places on the web to buy kits made by Federal Mogul. alot cheaper and they offer 2 year warranty's. Has anybody had any experience with these after market suppliers in the big rig scene?
wdricker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

We just quoted one for 15K and that also includes a bull gear replacement. Injectors sound a little high as I think they don't cost that much installed with labor for a tune up included. Cost might be a little lower because does this include the core charge? Since you asked the overhaul on an engine over 1M miles there is NO warranty greater than 1 year. If you had done it under 1M then you could have gotten a 3 year warranty. All reman parts from DDC carry a 1 year warranty. Remember if you install it, just the parts are warrantied. If DDC dealers/distributors install it parts and labor are covered. Some people have good luck and some don't.
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I talked with the guys at my local detroit shop and they qouted me at 15k to 16k including the bull gear. I think thats the route I'll go. I thought I could save more than that if I did it myself. But since I'm still getting perfectly clean oil results every 10K and its only using about gallon and half every 10k, since i'm already past million mark not going to lose out on anything now. I'm going to keep running it awhile longer I think till something starts to show in the oil. The reason I didn't rebuild berfore the million mark was because I was having transmission problems. Its a 10 speed auto shift and a reman transmission, resurfaced flywheel,new clutch, rear seal on motor and new u-joints, a really nice tranny job cost me 9,500 bucks and really couldn't afford to do the engine at that time.

Last edited by wdricker; 01-23-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think were around 17+ without a bullgear. That price with the bullgear sounds good.

Also with the federal mogul kit are they really going to stand behind it. Not that I've heard anything bad but it seems anytime a non-ddc warranty is involved it always trying to pull teeth to get payment.

Detroit recomends the bullgear be done at 750K I've seen them last longer and shorter. It used to be 1M.

2001 Lightning - Oxford white, garage queen
DieselSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well I've got my truck in the shop now. I'll go back just a bit. I made a run to east coast couple of weeks ago and lost my turbo in Zanesville,Oh. I had just had my engine oil changed at speedco in Indianapolis,In and received perfect results on the oil analysis. Well my fuel mileage has been going down for the last quarter and couldn't figure out why. After the newturbo was installed, I headed out to finish the load. Man I didn't have any power, couldn't hardly get any turbo boost unless I geared down and tacked it up to about 1800. I hate going to repair shops out on the road, especially now where its hard to make a dime. So I run in 9th most of time and got myself home. Turns out my intake valves were out of adjustment bad , the exhaust looked ok, the fuel injectors are leaking pretty good. So we're putting in a new six pack running, a overhead, and gonna keep on running it for now, till I see something in the oil anyway. We removed the altenator drive gear to take a peak at bull gear and it seems really good, no slopp and no chipped teeth. And this motor has 1,090,000 on it.

Last edited by wdricker; 02-01-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds good. Double check your Charge air / intercooler system if someone already hasn't. Any leaks there and fuel mileage/performance will go down. Did your old turbo "blow up" or was it leaking oil into the intake?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well the turbo case was left intact, but it popped the inner seal towards the exhaust side and sucked 6 gallons of oil out thru the exhaust. The exhuast side turbine was completely gone,( down in the muffler I figure). The clean air side looked good. And we'll put a fitting on the end of the turbo pipe so we can compress air into the air to air and on into the intake and head and watch the leak down and listen for leaks.

Last edited by wdricker; 02-03-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Update!! My new turbo is also shot now! Turns out the exhaust impeller of the old turbo was causing a restriction in my exaust pipes causing high pyrometer tempatures. By the time I got home the turbo was shot. I'm learning new things all the time. I figured a piece of junk in the muffler wouldn't cause any harm. I did my own turbo change that time so nobody is at fault but me.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

I haven't had one of those in a few years now. I remember taking like 8 coat hangers strapped to a magnet and fishing down the exhaust many times. I got good at it after a while .

Old 04-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Aftermarket parts are the way to go as long as they are Interstate McBee, Federal Mogul, Mahle-Clevite, IPD or a comparable American made brand that stands behind their parts. I found a site that carries all the parts at a good price: IESC-DIESEL. All you need to do is give them your engine serial # and they will identify and ship it to whereever you are!
iescdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Great place to get rebuild parts for cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdricker View Post
I have a 12.7 new style series 60 that has 1,088,000 on it. My oil tests so far are coming back clean. But I know its time for rebuilding is around the corner. I plan on doing a inframe myself, so I've been getting some price quotes. Detroit wants 10,506 bucks for a nice kit. that includes Superoverhaul kit(which includes lower bearings,liners,pistons,reman head,head bolts,rocker arms, gaskets), camshaft (extra 521 bucks), injectors (6 pack extra 1900 bucks). This seems high since there's no labor involved. Or do you guys think thats about right. I also get 1 year 100,000 mile warranty. I found some other places on the web to buy kits made by Federal Mogul. alot cheaper and they offer 2 year warranty's. Has anybody had any experience with these after market suppliers in the big rig scene?

To answer your question: you are paying way to much for a Detroit Diesel Label...the in-frame kit for an 11.1L or 12.7L series 60 is $2,200 for an engine with an oldstyle piston and $2,500 for an engine with a new style piston. The parts have two year warranty and are oem quality. check them out at:
http://dieselrebuildkits.com/home/de...ies-60/non-egr

They have strategic shipping points around the country and can get the parts out very quickly, real pros!

Last edited by iescdiesel; 12-21-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: update on info
iescdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'd never tear down a good running engine that keeps coming back with a clean oil analysis.

Man, run that thing. Keep taking good care of it and be thankful you have a dependable mill.

From what you said, she's not even using much oil.

Man, run it. A million miles ain't no thing to a well maintained Series 60.
stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

That was a old post I overhauled that motor last August. We did a really nice out of fram job. It needed overhauled. It had a blowed head gasket and head was shot. pistons liners and lower bearings looked good but replaced them anyway. And installed new counterbores, surfaced the deck, checked for cracks on block and crank and had crank polished. I think this motor performs better now than when it was new.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

same thing with my turbo running fine at the time just started smoking and using oil 1 gal in 600 miles -del load shop put on new turbo left fl but time igot to atl .went in next shop said in was fuel line and filter maybe bad fuel - nope bobtail had to drop down on I-85 back to another shop -freightliner (kw said next week) they test truck said in was after cooler - still runs like you said in prevs. post i can get down road but it's like i have 1/2 a motor - not using oil now but a lot of dark smoke instead of white as be4- so far i'v paid 5 grand to make my truck run like this- in fla it didn't seem bad but now in hill of the ne it's a dog and i'm not heavy- flr said it was fine putting out 370 on dyno- (it's a a 2001 500 det.) 1st shop said turbo did'nt come apart so shouldn't be any part in muf. ???
rudetrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

need help just lost both exhaust valves in #2 without any warning under load cruising at 65 mph. now water comes out the exhaust. truck is a 2000 model volvo series 60 detroit 500 hp. i am a ase master auto tech but ive been a owner/op trucker for the last ten years. im just wonderin if i can do this repair myself. my funds are limited i can buy parts but cant afford labor. any feed back will be greatly appreciated.engine has 763000 miles
CUSTOM TRANS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.