replacing a gasoline engine with a diesel engine - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
replacing a gasoline engine with a diesel engine

Anybody know if it is possible to replace a gasoline engine with a diesel engine? Or where can I get info on that?

Thanks
Uli66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: replacing a gasoline engine with a diesel engine

Is it possible to remove a gasoline engine from a vehicle and install a diesel engine? Of course!

Is it practical, easy, or economical? Sometimes. Generally, if a vehicle was offered with a diesel engine, it's easier to just buy a diesel version than it is to convert a gasser. In those cases where a diesel was never offered (in this country), then you have to do a swap. These vary from pretty easy to really hard.

What are you thinking about re-powering?

'83 Mercedes 300D Turbo-Diesel-the U 505 315,000 miles
A couple gas burners.
Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2005, 05:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Something simple and easy to overlook. The brakes on a diesel are hydroboost. One more thing you have to change.
BigDaddyT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2005, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

In my own humble opinion, it would be easier to swap a gasoline engine truck with a dieasel engined truck.....the whole thing............and swapping bodies
Kentucky built 2004 Silver F-250 XL Reg Cab PSD, 4X2, bench cloth seat,air conditioning, 6 spd Manual, 3.73 LS,Line-X , FORD receiver, Prodigy brake controller,towing option,( put together on Monday, March 29, del April 9 2004) 62000 miles
ta152h0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2005, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

there was a guy here that did about 1000 diesel to gas conversions from retired oil trucks. No IM. The Im got wise and now want to hear the truck run.
BigDaddyT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2005, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Something simple and easy to overlook. The brakes on a diesel are hydroboost. One more thing you have to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always. Some systems use a vacuum pump. It probably wouldn't be too hard to set up a vacuum pump to work with a system that was meant for engine vacuum.

Something else to consider-the emissions legality of doing a diesel swap. If you live in an area that has emissions testing, you may have some trouble at the inspection station.

'83 Mercedes 300D Turbo-Diesel-the U 505 315,000 miles
A couple gas burners.
Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]
Not always. Some systems use a vacuum pump. It probably wouldn't be too hard to set up a vacuum pump to work with a system that was meant for engine vacuum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know about you strokers on here, but those of us with the older 7.3 and 6.9 IDI's have vacuum pumps and vacuum brake boosters.

I'm getting a 6.9 ready to go into my '85 Bronco. I have an entire donor truck, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make the swap. About the only parts I can't get off the donor are some heavier duty coil springs for the front. But I found a spring shop that will custom build me some for the diesel weight plus a 4" lift for under $500...

Sorry to all the loyal 7.3 guys, but I traded my '91 7.3 in on a 2002 F250 Ex cab V10 4x4. SCT Xcalibrator2 with tunes by Powerplay Performance. 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's. Took a long time to get used to the ping-pop of a cooling catalytic converter...LOL.

'85 Bronco swapped up to a 302 4bbl from the 300 I6, NP435 4spd, NP208, 32x11.50x15 Radial RVT's, Soon to be 6.9 turbo powered.

86 F350 Cab&Chassis with a dump bed. 2wd 6.9 and 4 spd tranny. No mods to engine.

2000 Volvo 660 N14 Cummins, 500hp 1650 ft lbs, Autoshift tranny 10spd.

What part of "SHALL NOT INFRINGE" do you NOT understand?
aceohearts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.