Which is the smallest and lightest 13 speed ? 10 speed ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which is the smallest and lightest 13 speed ? 10 speed ?

Who makes the smallest and lightest 13 speed transmission ? What is the model number and is it an OD transmission ?

I'm thinking about the 13 speeds that came behind the 427 gassers in the Chev C65 trucks. What model is that ?

What is the smallest and lightest 10 speed ?

Thanks
MackE7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
I'm thinking about the 13 speeds that came behind the 427 gassers in the Chev C65 trucks.
I think you'll find there's no such thing---there's only one size. 13 spd Roadrangers were all behind big engines (Cummins, Detroits, Macks) and mated to the larger SAE bellhousing. Same with the 10 speeds. The only small Roadranger to my knowledge was a 9 speed which was available in mid duty trucks. No such thing as lightest, they're all heavy, wide, and long due to the twin countershaft design and hi/lo range section plus OD/Direct on the 13's. In fact, unless you don't care about pinched fingers, you use an overhead hoist with a piece of rope to lift the mainshaft and countershaft gears out of the case.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 09-01-2009 at 09:13 AM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Do you know the nomeclature? Someone can explain it if not, I will skip it now.

There was some discussion on this a while back somewhere, I think RT613 and RT6613 were the old lighter weight ones. I think there is a RT610 out there too.

What are you trying to do with it?

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
After some research, I have found that the smallest 10 and 13 speed transmissions are the rt/rto 610,613 and 6610 and 6613. That is all I know right now, except that they are significantly smaller than a regular 10 and 13 speed transmission.

The 6610 is supposed to weigh 367 pounds. The 6613 weighs something like 500 pounds. Don't quote that number. Its heavier because it has 3 ranges instead of 2 and the bottom range is double reduction. It doesn't shift like a regular 13 speed. Or so I am told.

I have a special project in mind for a modified 610 or 6610.

Last edited by MackE7; 09-09-2009 at 05:24 PM.
MackE7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Do you know the regular 13 speed and the 15 speed?

I think the 613 is like the regular 13 speed in that you shift through the low side like a 9 speed. Then when you get to the top 4 you may split each one.

The 6613 is more like a 15 speed in that you rarely use the extra deep reduction range that it has. You start in the middle range and then shift to the top range like a 10 speed when on the road and the deep reduction can be engaged as necessary and is not normally progressively shifted. You do not "split" any gears with this one. In my opinion, a less desirable transmission in most cases. The difference between it and the 15 speed, ratio wise, is only in the deep reduction and only that with the 15 speed, your deep reduction is 2 gears below low range; with the "strange" 13 speed, it is 3 gears below. By this nomenclature a 15 speed would be properly called a 12 speed. It is very confusing, I know.

See <this page> for the operators manual, still available. The other 10 and 13 I'm sure you already know.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Put One in a F450?

So if one wanted to install more than a 6 speed in a F450 what would be a realistic choice?

Anyone done this before?

I just lost my second 4R100 in my F450 and am thinking about going manual. Not sure if the standard 6 speed be strong enough: My F450 weighs 11,000 and my loaded horse trailer weighs around 15,000. The mountains out here in the Pacific NW are Transmission killers. I would love to have a 9 or 10 speed but my guess is they are too big to fit. Maybe a 5 or a 6 speed from a MDT.
1999 7.3 F450 Cabriolet Crew Cab with Aluminum hauler bed (love the side storage!), Banks Power Pac, Donaldson Air Filter, Set up for Fifth Wheel, Gooseneck and bumper pull. ATS Billet Transmission, ATS Five Star Torque Converter, ATS Co-Pilot. Pulling a 34 ft. Silverado Aluminum Horse Trailer with Living Quarters.
This F450 will be replaced with a heavier truck, maybe a Freightliner or a Peterbilt around 25,000 GVW. AND with a big manual transmission.
SilveradoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

The RT or RTO610 would be the one to look for to put in a pickup. It's been done. You would just need to adapt to an SAE bellhousing, which isnt hard for a powerstroke.

Work truck:'94 IH 4900, DTA466 lightly bombed(#0 fuel plate, timing at 22*, 3 clicks tighter gov springs), Allison MT653, Voith retarder, and straight piped
nevrenufhp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

You better do some serious measuring first, they're not real small. In addition to being long do to the range shift section, they're very wide due to the twin countershaft design. Then you have to contend with input shaft length, different sized pilot bearing (machining the flywheel recess bigger if possible), matching input shaft splines to clutch disc splines, an air supply, rear trans support, etc. There's a heck of a lot more involved than rounding up an SAE bellhousing adapter.

On Edit: Can't remember, but if that series is like the bigger ones, they are designed to be behind a double disc pull clutch so that would require different linkage, etc, etc.

Last edited by LMJD; 09-19-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
On Edit: Can't remember, but if that series is like the bigger ones, they are designed to be behind a double disc pull clutch so that would require different linkage, etc, etc.
You are probably familiar with the same ones I'm familiar with, you must be old too. I believe it was the RT-910 and RTO-913 roadrangers. I've overhauled few 910's but never a 913. I don't think there is any way one of those is going to work in an F-450 behind a Powerstroke. I know nothing about any of the other models.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
You better do some serious measuring first, they're not real small. In addition to being long do to the range shift section, they're very wide due to the twin countershaft design. Then you have to contend with input shaft length, different sized pilot bearing (machining the flywheel recess bigger if possible), matching input shaft splines to clutch disc splines, an air supply, rear trans support, etc. There's a heck of a lot more involved than rounding up an SAE bellhousing adapter.

There's a guy by the name of 2Wpuller on some of the other forums that has an RT610 behind a 6 litre Perkins in a 75 F250.

Work truck:'94 IH 4900, DTA466 lightly bombed(#0 fuel plate, timing at 22*, 3 clicks tighter gov springs), Allison MT653, Voith retarder, and straight piped
Old 09-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
I searched him out, boy that is a beautiful job on his conversion. 6.0 twin turbo Perkins backed with an RTO 6610 10 speed, home built full air ride.

Very nice.

Truck.

Truck full view

Engine bay

Transmission from the rear, I imagine this is the one you want to see.

If you google his user name +perkins +f250 you will get to several sites he is on. Some folks just have too much fun. I would imagine if you run him down where he is posting he would probably be glad to offer his insight with regard to what you want to do.

He did say in one thread he finally took it on enough of a trip to see what his fuel economy was - 24.8 mpg. Fun and environmentally friendly to boot!

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.

Last edited by Believer45; 09-19-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Believer, your pics didn't work but I searched like you suggested and found a few pics. Pretty slick, nice truck.
All I show in your post is boxes with the red X, maybe it's my computer, it's doing been some wierd stuff the last few days.

Last edited by LMJD; 09-20-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

I got the red X too, but I've seen his rig. Real nice guy, his name is Dale(mine too). There's actually parts you can buy to make an RT into an RTO, so you arent limited to a direct drive. He also said it shifts super easy and smoooth. They arent all that much more expensive than a New Venture 5600, if you look thru the truck bone yards.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
Odd, pics work fine for me.

Do you both have "VIEW IMAGES" checked in your profile?

In your profile, under Control Panel on the left,
Settings and Options
Edit options
Thread display options
first group, third choice make sure VIEW IMAGES is checked

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.

Last edited by Believer45; 09-20-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes, thanks, mine is checked. I most always get images but every once in a while someone's pic will just appear as a box with the red X, especially if it's a really old link.
Quote:
There's actually parts you can buy to make an RT into an RTO, so you arent limited to a direct drive
Yea, I'm hazy on that because I never converted one, but IIRC you just press off two countershaft gears and X them with two mainshaft gears basically. It can be done that way to a few truck gearboxes.

Last edited by LMJD; 09-20-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.