smoke color - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
smoke color

does anyone know why smoke from a cold diesel engine is white/blue and smoke from working the engine is black. both are caused by unburnt fuel right? does the engine temp make the difference?

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES
SoDakStroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Re: smoke color

Black smoke is when the diesel is running out of excess engine air. Diesel run lean and power is controlled by the amount of fuel injected.

Every piston stroke, whether at full power or at idle, receives the same amount of air.

When the diesel is working hard, this excess amount of air is used up, and unburned black smoke is the result. If the engine is turbocharged, this amount of black smoke can be reduced or even eliminated as it is providing pressurized air to the engine at partial and open throttle settings.

White smoke is sure fire indicator of a bad injector, or that the engine is still very cold. A tuned, well maintained diesel engine should not emit white smoke at idle.

If there is a coolant leak, white smoke can be a result. Of course some diesel engines are smokier than others at idle. My 6.9 is in great running order but it still emits a faint trail of smoke at idle.

Good thing I run biodiesel now.
The Green Monster: 2001 F250 Powerstroke, 2WD, ZF6 transmission. Bully Dog GT Tuner set in tow mode. MotorSilk boric oxide added to engine, transmission and diff. Showing 30mpg on the freeway running home brew biodiesel. NTZ 1/2 Micron bypass oil filter. Dieselsite coolant filter. 4" open turbo back exhaust. Ford AIS intake. Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter. Caterpillar ELC next on the list.
Spencnaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)

White smoke is atomized but unburned fuel. It's the result of failure to ignite.

Black smoke is fuel which has ignited but only partially burned.
When there's too little air for complete combustion, the hydrogen fraction of the fuel burns first, leaving excess carbon. The excess carbon is the black smoke.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
drcampbell is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
White smoke is atomized but unburned fuel. It's the result of failure to ignite.

When there's too little air for complete combustion, the hydrogen fraction of the fuel burns first, leaving excess carbon. The excess carbon is the black smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue smoke, of course is associated with motor oil. it is common on older engines for oil to run down the valve guides when the engine is parked or even when it idles for a long time. this explains the old trucks that chase off the mosquitos when they are cold started.

If you are dealing with a diesel engine that won't start, the white smoke or lack thereof is an important clue. If the engine spins up and there is no sign of white smoke and it doesn't start you should get focused very quickly on various reasons why fuel isn't getting into the cylinder.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

^Exactly.

And as for blue smoke, that usually means that the engine is in bad mechanical condition. I once saw a '90-'93 cummins in Modesto, California, and when it started up, from the other side of the truck I saw a big ol' cloud of blue smoke come out at startup. That engine was probably in horrible condition. Also, like I said once before on this forum, I saw an F-350 (It was between 1999-2004) diesel that smoked blue at idle. I was skeptical about why a newer truck could do that. My friend (another truck person) was nearby, so I asked him. He said the turbo probably wasn't getting enough lubrication to not work hard. Also, the engine sounded very dry and not good. But either way, blue smoke isn't good.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

drcamble is the only one who got it right.
2000 f250 4x4 lariate woodland green metalic and gold on the bottom.sharp looking super cab.100,000 miles .air heater mod,CCV mod,zoodad,80 econo DP tuner PCM ,cranked doun stock waste gate,cubie hole type gauge pod,k@n replacement filter.sonax/tricumulator, map sensor pop off valve,boost tube,BTM ,code eliminators ,wiked wheel,EBPV deleat ,hp oil cross over feul presure shimed and gauge, Heater core hose bypass valve .Wet Okole seat covers with Powerstroke logo ,.home made donaldson intake in the works parts on order.mounting bracket and 45* silicone elbo.piss on this homemade thing it will never be as good as the AFE stage II.thats what i'll get next.i am curently running my stock air box
WUNDERHOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.
drcambell what you said makes sense and was what I was looking for.

Al

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES
SoDakStroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Only Under Load

I have an '86 6.9L n/a & my diesel experience is limited. It doesn't smoke on startup or idle, not even thoughout the rpm range, but it does smoke under load such as hard acceleration. This smoke is not coal-black as I have seen in pics & videos and it isn't pure white or like my old gasser when it was spitting out fuel. It is more of a grey color. Is this a sign I should have my injectors checked or do I really need to worry.
86-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.