Source for fuel buttons for Cummins 855 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Source for fuel buttons for Cummins 855

Does any one have a good source for fuel buttons so i can upgrade the pump in a big cam Cummins 855? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Source for fuel buttons for Cummins 855

Go to Cummins Engine Co. web page and check for a Cummins DISTRIBUTOR
( ie Cummins Mid South - Cummins Central Power ETC.) The dealers such as Kenworth, International, ETC won't carry the fuel buttons but the Distributors will probably have them. Let me know the number of the button you need and I may be able to get you one here locally at Cummins Central Power in Wichita,Ks.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Northern IL Cummins in Hodgkins will probably have what you need.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Are the 855's easily upgradeable to higher HP levels or do they require turbo changes, piston upgrades, etc.?
IBUILD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

GENERALLY
The the Cummins engines with the PT fuel systems could be modified with fuel Buttons and or throttle plungers. Basically these just dumped in more fuel and or raised fuel pressure to the injectors.
You could also change injector cups or complete injectors. If you wanted to spend lots of money you could upgrade turbos and or change pistons and exhaust manifolds. There were all kinds of tweaks that could be done in the " pump room" at the distributorships where the techs rebuilt the pumps and injectors!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
lww

In a nutshell, any of these types of simple fuel system modifications require a modicum of operator sensitivity in as far as how you choose to use the extra power, the addition or usage of an EGT gauge is the best insurance to avoid damage.
I have a bag of 20 or so left over buttons ranging from around 70 down to "zero" from that yesteryear of power plants, pretty simple to install too. Your idle adjustment cover is removed, and the adjuster screw seat internal snap ring comes out. The seat and spring jump out to expose the button - about a 5 minute job to put the new one in.
Enjoy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Can anyone tell me how the fuel button numbering system works with these PT pumps? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

smaller number, smaller hole
sittin on 36x12.5 goodyears
GETTING CONVERTED TO SHORTBED AS WE SPEAK!

TOW RIG
2002 gmc 2500hd 6.6 duramax 5 speed allison
4x4 extened cab.

2000 F550 Lube Truck (Work Truck)

Certified PA Inspection Mechanic

i'd rather be 6.9'n than cummin or strokin'!
CowKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

I thought I read somewhere that the smaller the hole is (lower the number), the more power it makes, is this correct or no?
Old 03-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I read somewhere that the smaller the hole is (lower the number), the more power it makes, is this correct or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

replacing the button will not give it more power, just more fuel pressure. find somone who knows the pump well, they will know what to do. if i put in a smaller button, you also need to do other adjustments inside the pump. i just learned this pump in class, tore it apart. it is an eazy pump to dissasemble. but getting it off the enging can be a pain due to the back bolt. just donttouch the two bolts at the throttle linkage. u will most likly screw up your throttle leakage and the truck wont idle.
sittin on 36x12.5 goodyears
GETTING CONVERTED TO SHORTBED AS WE SPEAK!

TOW RIG
2002 gmc 2500hd 6.6 duramax 5 speed allison
4x4 extened cab.

2000 F550 Lube Truck (Work Truck)

Certified PA Inspection Mechanic

i'd rather be 6.9'n than cummin or strokin'!
CowKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)

That's not true at all, we've replaced many a scored sleeve due to a guy just putting in too "hot" of button, that's all it takes with the old PT system. We used to put them in, then Cummins or the trucking company mechanics would find out, remove them, next trip through, they'd stop at out independent truck shop, we'd stick another one back in.

One guy had such a hot one in he'd go through a set of driver tires in no time if he wasn't careful. But there again he treated his engine right and never let anyone else drive his tractor unless he replaced the button.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
lww

Like I said, "simple power" gain procedure. PT refers to pressure/ time. The smaller number depicts a smaller effective area the fuel pressure within the pump can work against, pushing against the button to relieve pressure much like a relief valve. Hence the smaller numbers hold on longer allowing the pump outlet pressure to climb higher before shifting over to curb the increase. Some guys would pinch off a return line to implement a crude sort of increase too. These potentially damaging procedures definately increase power to the ground, however some operators seemed to use the power carefully enough not to burn out their top ends and had a pretty good running unit. (strictly speaking from experience, going back a few years mind you.)
Old 03-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, "simple power" gain procedure. PT refers to pressure/ time. The smaller number depicts a smaller effective area the fuel pressure within the pump can work against, pushing against the button to relieve pressure much like a relief valve. Hence the smaller numbers hold on longer allowing the pump outlet pressure to climb higher before shifting over to curb the increase. Some guys would pinch off a return line to implement a crude sort of increase too. These potentially damaging procedures definately increase power to the ground, however some operators seemed to use the power carefully enough not to burn out their top ends and had a pretty good running unit. (strictly speaking from experience, going back a few years mind you.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can make a fire breathing monster, but if you don't put an exhaust temp. guage on it (pyrometer) you can melt the manifold right off of it. when thhe exhaust manifold is red hot you have over achieved.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Anyone have pics of where this button is on the pump?
dieseldude5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hello! The proper name for a button is the idle plunger. The idle plunger seals the end of the governor and by changing the size of the recess in the idle plunger it controls the rail pressure. Adding shims to the high speed spring will also increase the rail pressure because the pressure is increased between the two plungers.

You should be able to get fuel pump parts from Cummins or any ADS pump shop.

After building pumps for 20 years I've seen a lot of home made hop up parts for the PT system. Like removing the idle adjusting screw and threading in anything for a stinger. Or the snap ring ears broken off from ssomeone trying to use two nails to remove it!

The mount bolts a re no problem if you have the right wrench!

See you later
Mike in Yak
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.