Turn up the fuel on a 400 cummins - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2005, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turn up the fuel on a 400 cummins

I have recently purchased a 1986 International 18 wheeler with a 400 cummins diesel engine for a farm truck. We are moving heavy equipment and like always need a little more horsepower. Does anyone no how to turn the fuel UP on these manuel engines? I have heard that it is fairly easy. Could some one explain how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
2004 F350 4x4 Crewcab Dually XLT, 6.0L V-8 Diesel 6-Spd H/D trans. Oxford White. 4.10 Limited Slip Axle, Advanced Security Group, Bright Polished Cab Steps, Sliding Rear Window, FX4 package, 6 Disk CD Changer, Fog Lamps, Cloth Captains Chairs, Privacy Glass.
B&W Turnover gooseneck ball hitch and five leaf overload pack added.
4" Exhaust, SCT tunner running the 65hp heavy tow tune!
New headgaskets, head and valve job, ARP Studs, Injectors replaced, Upgraded oil tubes, EGR Delete, New oil cooler, New manifolds, Blue spring fuel pressure kit, new 850 batteries, and ScanGaugeII.
6.4L Banjo Bolts
tlcregger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2005, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Turn up the fuel on a 400 cummins

Give these guys a call. They are the Cummins masters!!!

http://www.dieselinjection.net/frames.html

'89 F-250 XLT IDI Pickup
'92 F-450 XLT w/'97 PSD, 6-sp trans and intercooler w/ Century 412/F6000.
'92 F-450 XLT IDI w/ Century 412/F1
'94 F-350 CC XLT IDI Turbo Dually Pickup (SOLD)
'94 F-450 XLT IDI Turbo w/ Century 412/F1. (SOLD)
'01 F-550 CC XLT PSD 6-sp 4x4 w/ Century 502/F6000.
"The impossible just takes a little longer!"
ibuytoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
lww

Simplest/ most bang for your buck would be to swap out the button, going "smaller" recess for added power. They are listed according to the size of same recess, your engine vintage stock might be 40 - 50 I'm guessing. Buy one from an amiable fuel shop, as small as you feel confident in your engine and your disipline in not melting her down (5-10 is pretty snappy).
To locate, view your PT fuel pump from the drivers side, the idle adjustment cover is needing to be removed. It is a conical 4 bolt mounted cover on the rear side (opposite mounting driven side) with a small 1/8 pipe plug on the end. Remove this cover and carefully extract an internal snap ring from a sleeve just within the area previously covered. Some spring pressure will loose the parts if you don't pay attention. Remove the snap ring, spring and retainer. The fuel button is within and can be easily swapped, you'll see what to do.
The smaller recess presents less of a surface for internal fuel pressure to act apon, more is required before the button shifts and regulates. Higher pressure means more fuel/ power. (PT stands for "pressure - time" and was always Cummins claim to injection fame).
Lorne [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys. i changed the button and adjusted on the pump itself and now pushing 480hp with a very quick response from the engine. Much better. Once again, Thanks to you guys and a local cummins pro.
2004 F350 4x4 Crewcab Dually XLT, 6.0L V-8 Diesel 6-Spd H/D trans. Oxford White. 4.10 Limited Slip Axle, Advanced Security Group, Bright Polished Cab Steps, Sliding Rear Window, FX4 package, 6 Disk CD Changer, Fog Lamps, Cloth Captains Chairs, Privacy Glass.
B&W Turnover gooseneck ball hitch and five leaf overload pack added.
4" Exhaust, SCT tunner running the 65hp heavy tow tune!
New headgaskets, head and valve job, ARP Studs, Injectors replaced, Upgraded oil tubes, EGR Delete, New oil cooler, New manifolds, Blue spring fuel pressure kit, new 850 batteries, and ScanGaugeII.
6.4L Banjo Bolts
tlcregger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey bud. where did you get the button from? i just bought a 77 pete cabover and it has a 400 cummins in it and looking for some more power.
1999 f350 build date 2/99, red, ts 6 position, banks compressor turbo wheel, banks big head wastegate, mbrp 5" with 6" grand rock stacks, diy tymar, Zoodad mod, AIH plug UPCOMING MODS: , stage 2 injectors,Stage 2 water meth injection, 95 gph fass fuel, 6.0 intercooler, ballbearing turbo, 6.0 trans cooler, and arp head studs.
fast99f350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.