The Diesel Stop banner

ULSD Fuel

69K views 84 replies 62 participants last post by  ryhed 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of links regrding ULSD fuel:

ULSD Fuel is a link for info about ultra-low sulphur diesel fuel.

ULSD Bulletin is info specific to 2006 and 2007 model year F250-550 Ford trucks.

Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion with regard to ULSD and it's distribution & use in California and the rest of the country.

Enjoy...

#27 ·
Ok, if you go to the gas station on the pump theres a stiker wiche says "Not leagle for highway use in 2007 and latter vehicles, it may dammage vehicle or engine" Ok so what do you put in your truck now?They don't run on air only now do they?

#28 ·
The only difference that I have noticed is that I had to add a fuel addative when it got very cold. It was he first time I've ever had to do that since the truck was new. I've been in -17 degrees with wind chill ontop of that and never had to add anything to the fuel. This year with temps down around 0 at night and 5 or 6 during the day I had a problem with not enough fuel getting to the injectors and it started running rough. If I went easy on the go pedal I was able to make it to a gas station where I bought some gumout fuel additive for diesels and the problem went away. Since then I watch the weather and keep a couple of spares in the bed.

#29 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, if you go to the gas station on the pump theres a stiker wiche says "Not leagle for highway use in 2007 and latter vehicles, it may dammage vehicle or engine" Ok so what do you put in your truck now?They don't run on air only now do they?

[/ QUOTE ]Your truck will run on U.L.S.D, The guys with the new 08's have to run the Ultra low in their trucks due to the new emissions equipment.Our trucks will run on Low, Ultra Low does not matter.You would be hard pressed to find regular low at the stations anymore.The switch over was oct 15 06,so You have more than likely already been using ultra low & didn't know it, because the pumps still had the old stickers on them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#30 ·
A lot of 24v Cummins guys are adding ashless 2-stroke oil to their fuel to protect the VP-44 injection pump. Unlike ATF the 2-stroke oil is designed to burn in an engine.

#31 ·
I was,nt trying too preach on my soap box, just made a observation a while back getting fuel. I run power service in it, and it sounds a whole lot better. Besides working full time here at the body shop I doe all the maintance at the farm where I keep my horse. We have a New Holland tractor, I put some powerservice in it over the weekend and noticed it was a lot quieter when I dragged the arena. So i,m sure we just have to keep up with putting it in our trucks which is still a lot cheeper than injectors, pumps thoughs kind of things. this just my thought on the subject. Dan

#33 ·
If you are concerned about lubricity of the new ULSD, check out the chart below. Basically, you can obtain all the lubricity needed with as low as 2% biodiesel. I run 5% biodiesel and the truck loves it!

biodiesel wearchart

#34 ·
A 32oz bottal will treat 100 gal., so I just guess about a thid of a bottal when I fill up usally about 28gal. I did notice a change, not huge but a change noe the less.

#35 ·
I have noticed a considerable drop in fuel mileage since they switched to the ULSD around the first of the year. I have also had other fuel system issues such as the drain cock on my filter going bad and my inline fuel pump leaking on startup. When I mentioned these things to my local Ford Dealer he was able to pull up how many he has sold every year for the past several years, interestingly he said that in the past 6 months he has sold more of the drain cocks for the 99-03 fords then he had previously combined. There is little I can do about the ULSD now that it is here but equip my truck for it. I have heard that different type seals like those used for bio-diesel help and there are several additives as well. A personal favorite mixture of mine that I have used for the past 8 months with sucess is 20 Oz of Power Service mixed with 20oz of Marvel Mystery oil and 1 Quart of two stroke (injector quality). I usually mix these up ahead of time and have several containers in my truck at all times. I have notices a slight increase in mileage but more noticably because I started using this once I bought the truck, a drop when I dont use it. A old timer got me hooked on the two stroke, this is what he said when I told him about using ATF for lubrication. He asked me if I would run a two stroke engine on ATF, his point was that two stroke is MADE to lubricate fuel systems whereas ATF isnt. The two-stroke oil makes sense to me. Just be sure that it is safe for injection systems.

#36 ·
You proble could use 2 stroke oil the sled guys use, a lot of them are fuel injected these days. Stop some place that sells 4 wheelers and snowmobles ask the guys there, I know you can buy it in 1 gal. jugs. The milage thing is interresting though I have'nt heard anyone comment about any milage loss. AS far as atf goes I agree its not intended too be burned so why would you put in your tank? I have heard that some of the truckers have used it, but if someone dips there tank only to find red tinted fuel theres gona be some quetions asked. Dan

#39 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I have 300 gallons of home heating oil in my house. We have changed to gas heat. Can I run the home heating oil in my 1999 7.3 Diesel?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not legally, unless you pay the road tax on it up front. And I don't know how you would go about doing that. You're probably better off selling it to someone who still heats with oil.

#40 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard of using tranny fluid to lubricate and also help clean the motor. How much would be appropriate to use? Anyone know?

[/ QUOTE ]

The use of automatic transmission fluid will not only raise the sulfur content of the diesel fuel significant but it also can cause the formation of injector deposits and fuel system deposits as the fuel is burned. These deposits can cause poor spray patterns, incomplete combustion of the fuel and increased emissions.

You will probably notice a slight decrease in fuel milage since the BTU level of ULSD fuel is lower than the LSD.

Schaeffer's Diesel Treat (http://www.schaefferoil.com/diesel_treat_2000.html) 1 gallon container treats 2000 gallons compared to power services' 3/4 gallon container which only treats 300 gallons.

#41 ·
I have only used HOWES LUBRICATOR Diesel treat which can be found in any NAPA store...at least up here in AK that is. I would imagine it would be the same in the lower 48

http://www.howeslube.com/site/

I cannot say if its better than anything else because its the only product i use.

#42 ·
I use Seafoam fuel additive now instead of Power Service.. Seafoam works better. Better MPG and cold starts. Frees sticky injectors.
I now swear by it..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#43 ·
dieselmech50s,
would you suggest that everytime I fill up my precious '03 7.3 that I add some lubricity additive to the fuel? I am all for it, if it is recommended.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

#44 ·
I do, personal preference, with Schaeffer's Diesel Treat it turns out to be about $1.25 a tank full /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#49 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Since ULSD has come out I am getting better mileage that I have ever got(previous 18.5) last trip on I 75 I got 22 over a whole tank. I also add Howes to every tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

stateboy776, I'm with you on the Howes, darn truck is quiet to say the least. And yes I have fallen victim to the leaking fuel drain o-rings all ready. My Dealership says he carries at least 80 in stock all the time do to the unexpected call for the parts. In his word "the drain valves are dropping like flies".

See ya,
Beantown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.