what year cummins are the good ones and the bad ones - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: what year cummins are the good ones and the bad ones

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 12V I am putting in a 97 F250 has "53" on the block, does it affect 12V's too? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all 53 blocks crack. If the block didn't crack in the first 20-50,000, then it probably (no promises)will not crack. If it came from a donor truck with some miles you should be ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bone stock 99 24v cracked at 108K [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img] lucky me

If it was me, I would be looking at 12v all the way. Less sensors and other crapola to deal with. You can even do a 12v block with a 24v head, but I think its a PITA.

Also, 94-98's had dowel pin problems, its a fairly simple repair, but I believe ALL of them had to be repaired at one time or another.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 12V I am putting in a 97 F250 has "53" on the block, does it affect 12V's too? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all 53 blocks crack. If the block didn't crack in the first 20-50,000, then it probably (no promises)will not crack. If it came from a donor truck with some miles you should be ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bone stock 99 24v cracked at 108K [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img] lucky me

If it was me, I would be looking at 12v all the way. Less sensors and other crapola to deal with. You can even do a 12v block with a 24v head, but I think its a PITA.

Also, 94-98's had dowel pin problems, its a fairly simple repair, but I believe ALL of them had to be repaired at one time or another.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pistons have to match the cylinder head. The bowls are in different locations.

'07 Z06 Black/Black 2LZ
10.48 @ 136.86 w/1.65 60' on 17" drag radials...
faster67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #18 (permalink)

All of the engines from the "1st Gen" Dodge (1989+) to around 98 had the "Killer Dowel Pin" which is an easy fix. Yes, a 24v head will fit on a 12v block(blocks are/ nearly are identical). It would be easier to get a 24V engine and hang a mechanical pump on it converting the engine back to all mechanical than trying to put a 24v head on a 12v engine.

There are also basically two different versions of the 12v that are found in Dodge trucks. The early engines had a Bosch VE rotary pump. This is a good pump and driveability is excellent, but the pump physically is too small to pump enough #2 to support more than about 325HP +/- 25. The second version of the 12v is more commonly known engine with the P-7100 inline pump. Of any engine the desirable components are the ones cast in the Brazil foundry. Although any non-53 block is of a decent quality, the Brazilian castings are a bit heavier than other versions.

Although I've had several Cummins 6BT powered trucks, two factory Cummins powered Fords, I still like my 7.3 and will continue to run it. The 6BT's are a good engine for sure, but they have their problems too. 53 block to name one, head cracking is another. If you want to put a 6BT in a Ford it's getting fairly easy to do. If you want cheap HP get a CR and spend the time (if yours it's free) to get all the electronics to work. The 12v is a simple and reliable engine and can make very big HP reliably, but it will cost more.
pmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

The 97 and rare 98 motors are the mostly popular ones because to the P pump being the higher hp rating 215hp stick and 180hp auto. Change out the delivery valves and basically you have the same pump.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.