What year diesel trucks would you guys prefer? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What year diesel trucks would you guys prefer?

What are preferred years as far as reliability goes and cost of ownership

I am asking this because I have owned older diesels and newer diesels, and I know that sometimes with newer diesels everything is electronic creating a lot more headaches and costly repairs. Sometimes stuff isn't made as it used to. How about driver comforts and convenience..?

What would you guys prefer if you were going to invest in a daily driving heavy diesel truck, late model/newer... or pre-a certain year? For stuff such as cost of ownership, parts availability, comfort, user-ability, etc..?

I'm thinking of investing some good money into something that will serve me for the next 10 years plus, and swapping my nice service body/dump/arbor body over to a cab & chassis of my choice.

Thanks for reading, and for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:55 PM

96-97 model, mid level mods put it at the same level as the new trucks and WAY easier to work on

-OEM sensor replacements are plentiful (500.00 will replace EVERY sensor on the engine with genuine motorcraft replacements, includes glowplugs)
-said sensors are easy to change out
-only a handful of sensors to wory about (all sensors/solenoids can easily be kept in glove box for backups, yes that few)
-almost everything is easily replaceable with a small under-seat tool kit
-aftermarket support is VAST for these years
-97 has the has forged rods vs powdered metal rods of 99+ powerstrokes
-interchangibility of the 7.3 with 6.0 parts, 7.3 international parts gives a vast support network of parts
-KNOWN dependability of very high millage if properly maintained
-no head bolt issues or head gasket problems
-HPOP is easily replaced, same for fuel bowl (argue the relocation / aftermarket, im only talking oem placement)
-mods for systems are easily done, no computer programing to change when relocation of oem pieces throws the computer into fits cuz it's not stock
- NO DEF FLUID OR DPF!!!!!

yes these years have their faults

-lack of cupholders are a rather big deal... (no im not kidding, not having somewhere to set ur drink is freakin annoying)
-they are rather simple and plain when compared with the 99 superduty's
-they don't ride as well (can be changed to superduty springs which ride FAR better than the log wagon springs they came with)
-they aren't computerized (so you know which glow plug goes out, you must check each pin on the harness to find out which is bad)
-rear drum brakes (I honestly have no problem with drums, there are just some tricks to working on them)
-lower gross towing than newer ( mainly due to power if I understand it correctly)
-stock radio/speakers SUCK (face it, you upgrade the speakers in the stock newer ones also... it's not rocket science to upgrade these older trucks)
-louder ambient noise from the road due to less insulation vs newer trucks
-you will have to replace virtually every wear point in the truck (4x4 especially bad due to so many u-joints)
-rust... although I think Ford has been bad overall on this point in all years, these years WILL have medium to heavy rusting on the undercarriage
-limited fuel range (easily upgraded though with bronco fuel tank mod to 58 gallons total)

I am trying to be unbiased here with my limited knowledge of the overall, im rapidly learning though and hope this helps some

Last edited by narmalee; 03-20-2017 at 12:00 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:40 AM

My Photos: (8)
I prefer the 99-02 7.3 with six speed and manual transfer case. Mostly because I have had three of them and know how to work on them. If you have the money the 2012 and up have been getting good reports. Lots of power no need to hot rod and the tranny is good.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
I prefer the 99-02 7.3 with six speed and manual transfer case. Mostly because I have had three of them and know how to work on them. If you have the money the 2012 and up have been getting good reports. Lots of power no need to hot rod and the tranny is good.
DENNY
what transfer case did most earlier ones have? mine is manual, havn't actually found the model of it yet, I know it's a big sucker, tons of long ribs off the output tail to the mainbody
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM

My Photos: (8)
You could get ESOF or Manual. Lots of dealers ordered ESOF as a selling point, I prefer manual for several reasons. One of which is you can shift to neutral and tow the truck with all 4 wheels on the ground. With ESOF you would have to drop the rear driveshaft or flatbed the truck.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:26 PM

I would say 99-03 7.3 for reliability. Parts are plentiful and don't have to worry about all the EPA crap. I would also go with the manual transmission they are stronger than the automatic. There are also plenty of mods and upgrades available to increase power and performance. They are also easy to work on in my opinion. I have 300,000 miles on mine with no major issues. I plan on keeping it another 300,000 miles or more. I plan on doing a full body off restoration at 500,000 miles.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM

Go to Powerstrokehelp.com you will find all the info you need here to make your decision!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 AM

My Photos: (1)
I bought a 2003 4x4 6-sp 7.3 manual t-case and hubs new on 11/2002 and it has been trouble free and the best vehicle I've owned in 40+ years of driving.

I've been thinking about replacing it recently with a gas F150 (don't tow) but still haven't been able to part with it yet.

2003 F250 SBSC 4X4 7.3 6spd..Great Truck!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited built for the rocks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Guys, I don't know how this turned into a conversation about 7.3's. I know all about 7.3's. I've had two of them, and still have a 2000 7.3 and love the truck (minus the crap turning radius). It's served me well. I wasn't asking about 7.3's. Normalee just went off about 7.3's

I've been looking at 1999-2001 T6500's with the Isuzu motors...and am prepared to invest some good money....But wondering if I will be better off investing in one that is newer and maybe even taking a minor payment if I have to.

**disclaimer::
I'm not going to lie...I've owned many Ford F-450's 550's... Three different International DT-466's a 1986, a 1995, and now a 2000 dt466E... And a Ford F800 w/ a 5.9 Cummins. I do A LOT of work in the city where parking can be tricky and roadways are narrow...so I WANT A CABOVER truck I have decided. I want a 25,500gvw cabover (I need a class 6 25,000 gvw truck)

Thanks for reading, and for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.