What's the opinion on mixing kerosene with diesel? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's the opinion on mixing kerosene with diesel?

On our old 1978 Ford diesel tractor, my dad always used to mix kerosene with the diesel to make the tractor easier to start in winter.

He told me he put in 1 gallon of kerosene for every 5 gallons of diesel.

Is this a good idea or no?
ghunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: What's the opinion on mixing kerosene with diesel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On our old 1978 Ford diesel tractor, my dad always used to mix kerosene with the diesel to make the tractor easier to start in winter.

Is this a good idea or no? </div></div>It's OK to do this. This is really all that #1 diesel is (but with more kerosene than a 1:5 ratio). Two down sides: less lubricity of fuel & you milage will go down a little.
Mark Hodowanec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Hodowanec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On our old 1978 Ford diesel tractor, my dad always used to mix kerosene with the diesel to make the tractor easier to start in winter.

Is this a good idea or no? </div></div>It's OK to do this. This is really all that #1 diesel is (but with more kerosene than a 1:5 ratio). Two down sides: less lubricity of fuel & you milage will go down a little. </div></div>
What vehicle are you talking about? A tractor or your truck?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

The refineries in this area are adding 15% kerosene to Diesel right at this time. That gives a cloud point of about -18.
Later in the winter, they will increase the ratio to 20%. They also add a lubricity agent to compensate for the lack of kerosene's lubricity.
#2 93 F-150 XLT, 5 Liter, Auto, 4X4, X Cab. 251,000 miles. Uses no oil between changes.
montanafan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

It doesnt get cold in Montana...lol...

Sold:
1994 F350 XL Crewcab 4x4 SRW 7.3 Banks Turbo
Dana 60 Sterling 10.25 3.55, ISSPRO EV Guage and Pyro

PICS of my rigs and random stuff: http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/dakotajeep/
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On our old 1978 Ford diesel tractor, my dad always used to mix kerosene with the diesel to make the tractor easier to start in winter.

Is this a good idea or no? </div></div>We used to do this years ago when I was trucking. There were times when we would end up with too much summer fuel from a southern area when headed north into cold weather. It worked well but not sure I would do it with the newer technology engines.
Dark Stone Metallic / Pueblo gold
Readylift 3.5" levelling kit
... Toyo MT 315/70/18(bigger than 35-12.50-18)

----- --- BIG$HOW -------<տլ
Bigshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montanafan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The refineries in this area are adding 15% kerosene to Diesel right at this time. That gives a cloud point of about -18.
Later in the winter, they will increase the ratio to 20%. They also add a lubricity agent to compensate for the lack of kerosene's lubricity. </div></div>

This deserves more emphasis:
If you're buying pump fuel, and you're not talking about a leftover tankful from another season or another region, the blending has already been done for you.
It's not necessary to do any more blending on your own.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
drcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Exactly, we are talking about mixing kerosene with #2 (or summer) Diesel. Winter fuel is already blended when you buy it. (Usually) It is possible to find #2 Diesel year around so one needs to know what he's dealing with. However, with proper lubrication added, straight kerosene would probably run great and be safe in the machine that he wants to use it in.
#2 93 F-150 XLT, 5 Liter, Auto, 4X4, X Cab. 251,000 miles. Uses no oil between changes.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Can a diesel truck run on straight kerosene?

Didn't know that...

Anyway I probably wouldn't bother mixing kerosene with diesel, considering that a gallon of kerosene is $3.20 here, and most of those diesel additives that treat 35 gallons or so are around $5.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kerosene is pretty similar to Diesel, but the Cetane number is different and there are no lubricating qualities in it. Without researching, I would say that there are other properties that are different. I wouldn't use it in any modern rig.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

It will run fine, and in fact can be used to clean injectors, I would run it heavier than 5-1 and maybe add some power service or a similar lubricating additive. Newer rigs will run even better than older units due to the lack of sulphur in the systems.
docsdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

I wouldn't run straight kerosene or even a high ratio of kerosene to diesel in any diesel engine. John Deere used to make two cylinder spark ignition tractors that started on gasoline but once warmed up, switched to kerosene. This shows us two things. That kerosene is sufficiently volatile enough to ignite with a spark plug and lacking enough in oiliness to foul out a spark engine. Which means it has properties somewhere between gasoline and diesel, making it an unsafe bet in a diesel motor. A diesel engine's fuel system relies on lubrication provided by the fuel and it has an extremely high compression ratio in order to ignite a compressed mixture of diesel and air, meaning that the engine was engineered to run on diesel or a similar fuel, not something akin to gasoline.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

You are right in that I don't think I'd want to use straight kerosene, either, BUT kerosene is about as close to Diesel as you can get without being Diesel. It is "drier" than Diesel and definitely needs some added lubricity. The John Deere tractor of which you speak may have depended on the presence of heat in the cylinder to ignite the kerosene, and not entirely on the heat generated by compression.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

So I got another question of curiosity to add to this post.

Considering that kerosene is 40-50 cents per gallon cheaper than diesel, what if you did this-

Filled truck with kerosene (saving $15 on 35 gallons), added some two stroke oil, and added Diesel Kleen. You'd still end up saving almost $10 even after buying the additives.

On my old diesel, makes me wonder how it would run. Not sure if I'm brave enough to try it though. It is only $10 difference.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
AlH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Considering that kerosene is 40-50 cents per gallon cheaper than diesel, what if you did this-

</div></div>

Around here kerosene is MORE than diesel [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.