The Diesel Stop banner

5th wheel package

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  HeavyAssault 
#1 ·
I will probably be picking up a vehicle at the end of the year out of dealer inventory to save money and I noticed not many dealer ordered trucks include this option. I understand there is an extra crossmember placed on the frame with this option. My question is how much better is this than just putting a b&H hitch in a truck without the 5th wheel package.?

#2 ·
I don't know B&H hitch, so I'll assume you're talking B&W. :)

On my new 2017 I'm going with the Ford parts, installed after I get it, because a lot of hitch vendors are selling Ford OEM compatible hitches now - flexibility down the road, or to a later owner.

Having said that, B&W, Curt, Reese, and Pullrite all have similar systems that will put a loading platform on the frame rails under the bed with above-bed hardware to hold a hitch. The costs are all pretty close. Arguably B&W costs some more than the rest, but a deal is out there to be found.

If you're already planning a B&W hitch, I don't know whey you wouldn't go with the B&W support kit, too, if you plan to keep the truck. I wouldn't say the Ford 5th wheel prep package is "better" in any way other than the fact that it's now an OEM standard, and more will manufacture to fit it.

#3 ·
I have used the B&W gooseneck and it was an awesome product, great manufacturer to work with, and easy to install. I have never used their 5th wheel hitch but have read good comments about them.

You can now order the 5th wheel prep through Ford accessories and add it to the stock dealer units. They also make the bed wiring harness that you can add after the fact whether you add there hitch system or someone else's and is plug and play.

#4 ·
I'll let you know what I think of my B&W once I get it installed, just came yesterday so need to get time to get it in at my friend's shop to get it installed. I loved the one I had in the Ram I traded, was the first time I had a removable ball hitch and won't go back to anything else. One of my friends is running the B&W Companion 5th wheel and has no complaints if you're towing 5th wheel vs. gooseneck.

#5 ·
Thanks B&H is a calf ranch I used to do some work at Lol. the dealer I talked to made the prep package sound like it was something that could only be done at time of build. Made it out to be something its not.... go figure. Thanks for the answers. Definitely let me know how you like your new b&w hitch.

#7 ·
I've used Pullrite for 15 years, zero complaints. I wish they had a new solution that would mate directly to the under-bed pucks without a whole bigger set of rails for an adapter. :frown2:

Reactions: NickKent
#11 ·
Had my B&W installed yesterday at my friend's garage, he left it up on the lift so I could check it out when I picked it up. As expected the hitch is substantial and will take the abuse of towing. I think I read on another forum about a complaint with shock replacement with the B&W in place and yes this may be a problem at some point based on Ford's ingenious design, the upper shock bolts are actually studs, facing inward which will lead to clearance issues during shock replacement. This is a bridge I will cross when it has to be, I'm happy with the B&W otherwise and can't wait to get hooked up to the trailer soon.

#12 ·
When we ordered our 2017 Super Duty 2WD, the fifth-wheel prep package was only available from the factory on the 4WD. On the 2WD, it was a dealer-installed item. Only problem was that, once we got the truck, we couldn't find a dealer who would do the install. All the local hitch shops would only install their branded product. We finally found a hitch guy 100 miles away (who had a good reputation) that would do it, so ordered the parts kit from Ford and got it done. We wanted to go with the OEM puck system so that we (and whomever got the truck when we were done) could use whatever brand hitch we wanted.

#13 ·
My understanding is the factory package is quite expensive. I put a B&W turnover gooseneck in and B&W makes a 5th wheel hitch that uses the gooseneck. The gooseneck lifts out, the 5th wheel base sets in and a locking block drops in the goose neck hole, throw the lever and your good to go. That's what I'm going to use. No extra holes in the bed.

#14 ·
My understanding is the factory package is quite expensive.

The factory 5th wheel prep package is only a $500 option, to order the kit after the fact from the parts department is something like $650

Only posting as this was info I was looking for with my purchase 2 weeks ago. If anyone is considering.

I too wanted the puck system and get an aftermarket hitch that drops in.
Clean set up! So much better that the old Reese rails on top side of bed in the last 2 trucks.

#15 ·
Isn't the factory one a royal PITA to install after the fact? I would have preferred it over the rails since it is dual purpose gooseneck & fifthwheel.

#16 ·
If possible the OEM setup does fill the bill easily and completely.

Aftermarket kits like the B&W Gooseneck does an absolute wonderful job. Much cleaner with only one hole in the bed. Supports their 5th wheel hitches or some other aftermarket options.

All that for only $.02....what a bargain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.