Body Work on '17 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Body Work on '17

Well as the title suggests I am in need of some body work. Long story short the wife parked the truck and got out with out putting it in park or setting the brake, I then watched as my truck rolled down a hill and strike a power poll, the power poll then came crashing down on the right side of the bed opening it up.
I took the truck to my local shop who does aluminum repair on Tesla and Porsche but they told me that they would not do the repairs on the truck because they are not Ford certified. A little frustrating as they do excellent work and are close to work. Anyways has anyone had the misfortune of getting body work done? how did the repairs turn out? Can you tell that a panel has been replaced?
I am a little concerned about the repair, as the insurance said that they would have the shop just replace the side of the bed and not the whole thing. My other thought is to just scrap the bed and get a flatbed with the money that would be spent on repairing the bed side.
Last question, my truck is Ruby Red, has anyone had this color painted and if so has the paint match been good? The owner of the body shop said it is a hard paint to match and get right.
Any input is appreciated, I will try and load some pictures soon.
-Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to pipeliner345
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbportech View Post
Well as the title suggests I am in need of some body work. Long story short the wife parked the truck and got out with out putting it in park or setting the brake, I then watched as my truck rolled down a hill and strike a power poll, the power poll then came crashing down on the right side of the bed opening it up.
I took the truck to my local shop who does aluminum repair on Tesla and Porsche but they told me that they would not do the repairs on the truck because they are not Ford certified. A little frustrating as they do excellent work and are close to work. Anyways has anyone had the misfortune of getting body work done? how did the repairs turn out? Can you tell that a panel has been replaced?
I am a little concerned about the repair, as the insurance said that they would have the shop just replace the side of the bed and not the whole thing. My other thought is to just scrap the bed and get a flatbed with the money that would be spent on repairing the bed side.
Last question, my truck is Ruby Red, has anyone had this color painted and if so has the paint match been good? The owner of the body shop said it is a hard paint to match and get right.
Any input is appreciated, I will try and load some pictures soon.
-Jeff
Bummer!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 F-350 6.7 CC DRW 4X4
2011 40' stoneridge 5'er
2011 21' shallowsport bahia
2008 F350 6.4 CC DRW 4x4 ---sold good truck
2003 F350 6.0 CC DRW 4x4 ---sold (POS)
1999 F250 7.3 CC SRW 4x4 ---sold best one YET!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 AM

My Photos: (29)
Garage
On a positive note.
Cause the wife did it, you get a "get out of jail free card" for the rest of your life!!!!!!!!

I personally would see how much the difference is between what insurance is paying and what a new bed costs.
If not too bad, I would pay the difference.
ford_doctor likes this.

2012 F350 4X4 Dually, FX4, Crew Cab, Ultimate Lariat Package, Oxford White, Black Leather towing a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

I had a 2015 F150 and it was rear ended. The local Ford dealer was certified for years for aluminum. The pass side bed, tailgate, hitch and bumper were replaced. The repairs were perfect in every way. The tri-coat white was also perfect. Took 6 weeks because of ford rivet machine(never used before) totally blew apart on first rivet, took 2 weeks for complete new tool to arrive. The hitch assembly came in either made wrong or part number placed on wrong part. It seems you will need Ford for specialized tools most have not invested in yet. Good luck. By the way total was 10k + 2K rental vehicle. Now have 2017 F350 and hope it never gets hit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Current Truck: 2017 (White Gold/Caribou) Lariat F350, CC, SB, SRW, 6.7, Ultimate Package, 5th wheel prep, tow tech bundle, dual heavy duty alt, 20" rims, BLIS, Quad Beam LED headlamps, Adaptive cruise, 3.55 elec locker, mats, running bds, etc

Truck History:
2015 F150 Lariat, CC, SB, 3.5 tt
2011 F250 SD, CC, SB diesel
2005 F250 SD, CC, SB, diesel
2003 F250 SD, CC, LB, diesel
1999 F250 SD, CC, SB, diesel
1997 F250 Light duty, extended cab, SB
1997 F150 extended cab, SB (Lemon)
1992 F250 long bed, diesel
1985 F250 long bed, diesel
1982 F250 long bed
1974 F100 long bed
1956 F100
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Here is a photo of the bed damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4995_1492655958460.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	957.1 KB
ID:	108321  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Here is where the truck ended up, if it would not have hit the poll it would have gone down a 30-40 foot cliff into a creek.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4988_1492656036749.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	758.8 KB
ID:	108329  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 PM

That should buff right out i would think, but really you are gonna be in shock after the insurance pays the utility company for the repair to the pole

2015 KR Dually CC 4X4 Bronze Fire HC
2011 KR Dually CC 4X4 Royal Red
2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4X4 ,White
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:24 AM

That pole could not have been inspected for years, a good pole would not have done that. Is the inner bed shell bent, they only replaced outer on my repair? Not too much different damage that my F150 had.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Current Truck: 2017 (White Gold/Caribou) Lariat F350, CC, SB, SRW, 6.7, Ultimate Package, 5th wheel prep, tow tech bundle, dual heavy duty alt, 20" rims, BLIS, Quad Beam LED headlamps, Adaptive cruise, 3.55 elec locker, mats, running bds, etc

Truck History:
2015 F150 Lariat, CC, SB, 3.5 tt
2011 F250 SD, CC, SB diesel
2005 F250 SD, CC, SB, diesel
2003 F250 SD, CC, LB, diesel
1999 F250 SD, CC, SB, diesel
1997 F250 Light duty, extended cab, SB
1997 F150 extended cab, SB (Lemon)
1992 F250 long bed, diesel
1985 F250 long bed, diesel
1982 F250 long bed
1974 F100 long bed
1956 F100
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:36 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFlick View Post
That pole could not have been inspected for years, a good pole would not have done that.
That was the first thing that I saw looking at the picture. Yeah, you are not supposed to hit a utility pole but that one looks like it could have snapped like that in a strong enough storm. Too bad he cant go after the utility company. Did he have to pay for the pole as well?

Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM

My Photos: (2)
I really hope as the insurance industry collects claims data on all of these aluminum trucks that they contain the premium increases to just the specific aluminum body vehicles.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog:
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM

Wow! Thank God it did not energize that truck, even though she wasn't in it. That pole looks like it's from 1946, i'm surprised they even bolted that newer transformer onto it.
I loved the new 17 but this is the sole reason I went with a new 16! nobody works on them.
A few gallons of bondo should fix her right up. Seriously, I'm sorry for your dilemma, seems you should find a ford dealer to handle it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. The poll was put in 1973 when my parents but their house. The woodpeckers have done a number on it and it was slated to be replaced soon according to the utility guy that came out. Either way my insurance will fight and deal with them, I have a good liability policy due to the truck being registered to my wives business. I think that I am going to take the cash out form the insurance company on the damages and get an aluminum flat bed for the truck. There is some damage to the top of the cab and the drivers door that I will just live with. I think that I would rather have the small dents and scratches than mismatched paint. I may try and put the truck up for sale for a good deal and walk, then go order a new one. I don't think that the numbers are going to work out for that, but if someone wants a loaded lariat to put a flat bed on let me know.
If I was to repair the truck they are wanting to just replace the bed side and inner liner of the bed on the one side. All the body shops I have talked to have basically told me it will not look the same as new and the fit will not be perfect, not quite what I want to hear on a $75k truck. They also said that they would have to remove the whole sun roof to paint the top of the cab. Things are just not the same after it is taken apart, stored in the corner, painted, and then put back together.
With all that said, does anyone have any recommendations on a flat bed? I am looking at CM truck body flat beds, but it is hard to get spec for the 17 on them. any input would be great.
-Jeff
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:35 PM

My Photos: (180)
Have you thought about getting a take-off bed from an outfit that installs utility bodies? It would probably be white, but if you had it painted to match it would be close enough not to be noticeable with any difference from the cab. You could even get a steel bed from an earlier truck.

Those were some heavy duty woodpeckers.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

So I thought I would finish the story here. I ended up collecting the insurance money and selling the truck as is. I felt that with the lack of experience of body shops, having to remeove the whole interior of my truck and the ruby red paint it would never be right. I came out ok in the deal only costing me about $1800 to own the truck for four months.
I am not sure I am going to get another 17, still deciding on what I want to do, while I loved the truck, I am not sure I want to deal with the possibility of having the same issue in the future.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:49 PM
RT

Putting on my grammar Nazi hat - just cause I can

Quote:
The poll was put in 1973 when my parents but their house.
You keep calling it a poll, but what she hit was a pole. A poll is what Hillary Clinton hit. And what did your parents do to that poor house?

Quote:
I have a good liability policy due to the truck being registered to my wives business.
Wives - plural of wife. How many do you have? Which one wrecked the truck?

OK - all kidding aside, glad you got out of your mess, but I would have been interested in seeing the repair. Maybe you can drop by the dealer you sold it back to and see what they're going to do with it. I would be curious how they patch panels in aluminum. Tig welding thin aluminum is a pain - can't imagine doing a full panel without warping. Riveting panels and bondo would seem pretty cheesy. I'd love to see how it's done.
ford_doctor likes this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.