The Diesel Stop banner

Which DEF?

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Texas wolf 
#1 ·
Hello all,

What are your thoughts on DEF brands? Do you stick with MotoCraft? I know the manual says that any API certified DEF is acceptable.

Has anyone used the QuickTrip bulk DEF? What about the Peak Blue stuff that is always on sale at the parts store?

Regards,

j

#2 ·
I have not had to add to the Super Duty yet, but I was running the Walmart brand in my previous Cummins. Never had any issues and it was the best value I could find other than purchasing at the pump. In my previous Fords and the Cummins until Walmart released, I always used Peak's Blue DEF and again no issues.

#3 ·
Motorcraft only for everything.
I won't give Ford a reason to void a warranty.

#5 ·
That's my struggle, too. I don't want to be arguing API certifications when I can just show a receipt for OEM, but at 3-4 times the price it's not the easiest pill to swallow. :|

#4 ·
I've used the blue peak stuff, the Walmart stuff and the cheap stuff they sell at Bucees.

I Never had an issue in the ~93,000 miles my truck was using it.

#7 ·
Exactly what you said. It's 32% urea and 68% deionized/demineralized water. Use any API certified DEF, it's all the same.

Reactions: Reactor
#8 ·
I can understand why some subscribe to the Motorcraft only theory. I personally don't, and that's my personal preference. If what I'm running through the truck in terms of oil, DEF, fuel or whatever else meets the requirements and is API certified I move on down the road based on price. If your Ford dealer sold Motorcraft diesel fuel for $2 gallon more than the Flying J or where ever you normally go, would you pay that because it was Motorcraft? Just my thought on the subject, your warranty could get cancelled because somebody yelled at the service writer that day before you walked to the counter, with as many issues as crop up these days warranties are a luxury not a right in the eyes of the company providing it.

#9 ·
A service writer can't cancel your warranty.

Warranty is not a luxury, it is a purchased agreement you get when you buy the vehicle. In that agreement, it states to use certain PN's, or equivalent, to keep your warranty.

Like you said, personal preference, but don't make blanket statements that are not true.

#13 ·
That is what is great about life.

Lots of choices and options.

#16 ·
Do you ever feel like there are too many choices, though...

#14 ·
I used to always buy the Motorcraft but got tired of driving all the way to the dealer and waiting for parts to get of the phone to ring me out. Now I just get the Peak def at my local Fred Meyer fueling station. So much easier to just get a 2.5 gal jug and fill it while your waiting for you fuel to pump. I had a few egr and emissions related warranty issues and the def was never mentioned. Ultimately the dealer want to honor your warranty as you more likely to do the work and they get paid well for it!

#21 ·
I was told by 2 different technicians at different dealers they don't like to see the blue peak because Peak originally formulated it for one of the foreign cars forget which for the Europe market and the formulation is a little different.

Just what I heard haven't read the box's. When I looked blue peak and motor craft where both $13.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.