The Diesel Stop banner

Front tow hooks rusting after 3 weeks?

9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Turkt50 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
Anyone else experience your front chrome tow hooks rusting? I have had my 2017 F250 6.7 for about 2 months and the front chrome tow hooks are rusting very bad. I polished them with a good polish to try to clean the rust off and got 70% of it off and a few days later rust came right back. Did Ford have a bad batch of these hooks that were rusted before the chrome application?
Stopped by the dealer (15 minutes before close) and they said to bring the truck back and they will take some pictures and send to Ford to see what they want to do. I would think the dealer would bolt on replacement non rusted parts and apologize for the problem.
Overall I absolutely love the truck, I get compliments every time I drive it, even got a thumbs up from a couple in a new chevy half ton going down the road.

thanks guys,

Chris

#3 ·
I'll have to watch mine, but so far it's only been out on nice days and only subjected to water when I washed it.

#4 ·
Were they bare steel?
You can't Polish steel to prevent rust. You would need to seal it. Via paint or the like.

Take a look at the tie rods, drag link, and stuff. See if they're the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Same for me. But mine is only on one of the two hooks. The passenger side looks identical to yours. I bought the truck in November. Live in Texas and there's been no salt in the roads this year. Since mine is only one or of two you think it would be obvious that it was a manufacturing problem, not a problem after the purchase. I haven't taken it to a dealer yet, I don't trust mine much to do what's right. If anyone finds resolution let me know.

#9 ·
Same here

Same for me. But mine is only on one of the two hooks. The passenger side looks identical to yours. I bought the truck in November. Live in Texas and there's been no salt in the roads this year. Since mine is only one or of two you think it would be obvious that it was a manufacturing problem, not a problem after the purchase. I haven't taken it to a dealer yet, I don't trust mine much to do what's right. If anyone finds resolution let me know.

#10 ·
No Dice Man!!!
That's a failure of the process.
If they used a steel bolt for install you could get a little residual rust at a joint. But that's in the plating. There is no part of that hook/loop that should look like that.
The dealer should have looked at it for about 2 seconds and known that there was a problem. My 2016 has seen all winter salt and all and they are flawless.Your plating must be faulty.

#11 ·
Not normal at all.
Go back to dealer and tell them to replace ASAP.
Or find another dealer and tell them to replace ASAP.

#12 ·
My 2013 has been through 4 years of New England salt, sand, and a corrosive liquid deicer and they have
ZERO rust. Something was done improperly.

#14 ·
Other tools

I'm not a lawyer so legal advice is not my specialty unless i've had to much to drink. Anyway, rusting hooks and chrome bumpers in less than 12 months? I think that the corrosion portion of the warranty does not apply here. I believe it's a manufacturing defect. Proof is every where you look. Most other 2017's don't have the same issue. Dealerships are trained to keep Ford from having to pay anything in repair. I would push back and when they say no, I would start by asking for service manager and then start causing a little bit of a scene. No yelling or cursing just raise your voice a bit. Then start talking about the Better Business Bureau and the complaint you will be lodging with them. Rattle off names of message boards you will be posting pics to and the review of the Ford dealership that you will be leaving online immediately following. Don't back down. You have lost nothing if they refuse to fix it. After that, it's up to you as to how far you want to go.

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.