The Diesel Stop banner

What I learned about the spiffy new 400 watt inverter...

18K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  manowell 
#1 ·
So, put it on the cheapo scope tonight, sorry for blurry pictures.

In the house, going though an antique IBM surge protector:

Out in the truck:

Whaddya think? :':)-arrgh

See less See more
#2 ·
Whaddya think? :':)-arrgh
I think they forgot the filtering circuitry :surprise: Looks like a DC square wave if I've ever seen one. I've had problems at work with an Uninterruptable Power Supply that put out this kind of signal - not enough of an AC component to pull in a timing relay. I wouldn't plug anything into this that doesn't have an additional power supply involved.

#3 ·
I don't even know what we are looking at aside from an oscilloscope wave. What is this telling you?

#4 · (Edited)
That the built in inverter is a modified sine wave (which :ford:tells you when you read the fine print). A fine thing for some applications, but not for many. It is the typical design of less-expensive inverters, any thing you'd find without specifically looking for a true sine wave inverter and the lower electronic noise the comes with it.

It seems like some "smart" chargers for some laptops, tablets, camera, quadcopter batteries get confused by modified sine wave. The end effect may be that the "charging" light comes on but it really doesn't charge.

I ordered a Samlex Solar PST-300-12 PST Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter today, will scope it when it comes in.

#6 ·
At 400 watts you're not going to get much out of it anyway. On larger inverters MSW is often a problem for fridge compressors and microwaves. At 400 W you won't be running them. What you may see is that some wall wart chargers will get unusually hot.

#8 ·
In my F450 the inverter is located under the back passenger seat (curb side). It is covered by a plastic cover which I'm unsure of how to remove it (two day old truck so don't want to 'break it' quite yet LOL.

I'm also interested in getting a better inverter, is possible. Last thing I need is a Li-Ion battery in a laptop or phone get too hot.

#9 ·
The Samlex checked out nice and clean, by the way.

#11 · (Edited)
Bump for more info on the samlex. The stock inverter is a bit of a joke. Won't power my laptop or my dewalt batter chargers. I'm very interested in this Samlex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.