American Pet Registry - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post American Pet Registry

I'm looking to buy a new Blood Hound puppy. I've found one but it's not AKC registered it's American Pet Registry which I've never heard of. How many kennel clubs are out there and what's the difference?

Thanks,

Shawn
2008 F-450 JOB-1, 4 X 4 with 4.30's, auto with manual transfer case with factory cup holders. All options except sunroof and nav. Line X with Extra. 24K Draw-Tite Signature Series Fifth Wheel Hitch. 65 Gallon KSH Marine fuel/tool combo in bed. Viair 480C compressor with 8 gallon tank. Hadley Air Horns hooked up to Auto Mate alarm. Chime/Light Killer Mod. Polished Job-1 exhaust tips. Transmission upgraded to JOB-2 filter, pan, and lines. External filter eliminated.

PICTURES

GEARJAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here is a link for an explination

The Difference Between the American Kennel Club

Understand that it is from the kennels perspective.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The Difference Between the American Kennel Club

Understand that it is from the kennels perspective.
Thanks, I had already seen that. I Googled the subject. I don't normally take as truth what I find on the Internet. I was hoping someone had experience they'd share on this.

Shawn
2008 F-450 JOB-1, 4 X 4 with 4.30's, auto with manual transfer case with factory cup holders. All options except sunroof and nav. Line X with Extra. 24K Draw-Tite Signature Series Fifth Wheel Hitch. 65 Gallon KSH Marine fuel/tool combo in bed. Viair 480C compressor with 8 gallon tank. Hadley Air Horns hooked up to Auto Mate alarm. Chime/Light Killer Mod. Polished Job-1 exhaust tips. Transmission upgraded to JOB-2 filter, pan, and lines. External filter eliminated.

PICTURES

Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
We always neuter our puppies, so we don't bother to register them. But I still want to be sure they are pure blood, so I insist on receiving the papers that will let me register them with AKC. So then I know that Darling Wife's Pomeranian is really a Pom and not a PooPom or some such. And next week I'll begin searching for a Golden Retriever puppy. Same rules. I want the papers to prove it's elgible for AKC registration, but I won't send them in to AKC. I leave the breeding up to the breeders.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
I'm inclined to agree with the AKC statements. They do put on the AKC sanctioned shows, maintain breeding records, etc. The AKC is THE one that sets the standards (physical conformation, etc) for all the breeds. I don't know much about the dog scene, but the same thing takes place in the horse world. There's a grade horse (unknown, unregistered bloodlines, unknown breed) registry, a half Arabian registry and on and on and they serve no purpose other than providing a registry for whatever the owner happens to own. As opposed to all those is the AQHA and other genuine breed registries, and like the AKC, they provide pedigree searches, sanction performance events, they maintain and provide documentation of generations of bloodlines so you have a clue what your buying, for example 5 generations of top notch performance cowhorse breeding indicates your generally getting a cowy athletic colt versus the halter horse bloodlines. Most importantly, they require proof of ancestry, proof of physical requirements, etc, that meet the breed's standards before you can register your mare's colt (or puppy?).
Quote:
and what's the difference?
The difference is the REAL registrys, dogs, horses, cattle, you name it, "police" their breeds and make sure the breeding stays honest, purebred, etc, (at least as best they can.)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 01-01-2009 at 10:23 AM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I agree with LMJD. We used to show dogs at AKC sanctioned events. Another part about registering a litter is if the stud dog is over 12 years old they require a fertility test. The semen needs to be examined for motility, and numbers. The breed standard is to keep the breed as close to what the dog was originally bred to do. A Great Dane was bred to hunt wild boar. That is why they have a deep chest. It is also why their ears are cropped, so the boar can'y grab them. Keith
2004 F350, Lariat, True Blue/Arizona Beige, CC, LWB, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, FX4, Camper package, captains chairs, power & heated TT mirrors, adjustable pedals, AIC, dual alternaters, power sliding rear window. C-Betr mirrors, ARE K series cap, Bedrug, BFG MT 285/75r16,overhead DVD player, DPPI turboback dual exhaust, gauges, Husky mudflaps, Weather tech vent visors, and Lund bug deflector. Date ordered 12/23/2003. Delivered 2/5/04

http://community.webshots.com/album/122797684QJFiJY

MD-TDC Secretary
ktpauley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

With all that said, I bet Ktpauley will agree, the average guy can get a great dog that's not necessarily registered. I bought my first Blue Heeler from a cute 12 year old girl whose father let her raise a litter of puppies. I paid $25 and he was typie and worked cows better than most for the 16 1/2 years I had him. On the other hand, I got to know a really nice guy from Portland, Or. area who'd show up at a yearly colt training clinic I always went to. His wife was big in the Blue Heeler show dog world and the national champion heeler lived in his area so we liked talking cowdogs. When I asked him how he worked, he said he'd probably never seen a cow in his life, they're just judged on conformation, etc, nothing really real-world practical.
Point being, I hope I didn't sound like anything that's not AKC registered is a piece of crap. Quite a few friends of mine have gotten terrific Border Collies, etc, from our local animal shelter.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wink We Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
With all that said, I bet Ktpauley will agree, the average guy can get a great dog that's not necessarily registered. I bought my first Blue Heeler from a cute 12 year old girl whose father let her raise a litter of puppies. I paid $25 and he was typie and worked cows better than most for the 16 1/2 years I had him. On the other hand, I got to know a really nice guy from Portland, Or. area who'd show up at a yearly colt training clinic I always went to. His wife was big in the Blue Heeler show dog world and the national champion heeler lived in his area so we liked talking cowdogs. When I asked him how he worked, he said he'd probably never seen a cow in his life, they're just judged on conformation, etc, nothing really real-world practical.
Point being, I hope I didn't sound like anything that's not AKC registered is a piece of crap. Quite a few friends of mine have gotten terrific Border Collies, etc, from our local animal shelter.
I have had some great dogs that have been nothing more than dumped strays. Happens all of the time where I live, out in a rural setting.

I want to raise tracking and rescue hounds and because of genetic defects in the blood hound it's probably best that I go with an AKC registered dog.

Shawn

PICTURES

Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I want to raise tracking and rescue hounds and because of genetic defects in the blood hound it's probably best that I go with an AKC registered dog.
Without a doubt. My wife was researching a breed a while back, and separating the B.S. from the true facts as best she could, that's exactly what she learned. There were a lot of recessive genes (defects) that surface in the "run of the mill" dogs as opposed to the AKC dogs.

A buddy of mine got into the tracking and rescue thing a few years ago and I guess he's really hooked on it. He's permanently in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury but he gets around and has more fun than many of us "upright" people. Hope you find what you want and enjoy doing it.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARJAMMER View Post

Shawn
Shawn,

If you do much research on the hound breeds, you'll quickly find out that the performance dogs are registered UKC. United Kennel Club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD
The AKC is THE one that sets the standards (physical conformation, etc) for all the breeds.
That is not the case at all. Each of the AKC breed specific Parent clubs are responsible for their standard.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
LMJD, you are correct. You can get an AKC registerewd dog that has no clue what they were bred for. We have Whippets that are periodically shown. Where we live every once in a while a groundhog will find its way into the yard. Let's just say I need to get rid of the corpse. I don't find any holes in the dogs, or the groundhog torn up. The dogs chase it and break it's neck. that is exactly what the were bred for originally in England. Hunting small game by running it down and breaking it's neck. Keith
2004 F350, Lariat, True Blue/Arizona Beige, CC, LWB, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, FX4, Camper package, captains chairs, power & heated TT mirrors, adjustable pedals, AIC, dual alternaters, power sliding rear window. C-Betr mirrors, ARE K series cap, Bedrug, BFG MT 285/75r16,overhead DVD player, DPPI turboback dual exhaust, gauges, Husky mudflaps, Weather tech vent visors, and Lund bug deflector. Date ordered 12/23/2003. Delivered 2/5/04

http://community.webshots.com/album/122797684QJFiJY

MD-TDC Secretary
ktpauley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
that is exactly what the were bred for originally in England. Hunting small game by running it down and breaking it's neck. Keith
That's interesting, I had no idea what they were originally bred for. I knew a woman that had two of them (rescue deal), and knowing her, I'm sure she wasn't stingy with the feed but no matter what they always stayed thin as a rail. That too must be in the breeding. I bet they can cover some ground when they want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.