changing flat on travel trailer - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
changing flat on travel trailer

What do you use for a jack on your trailer? Don't they sell a block you drive onto and raise one wheel off the ground? Do you keep a 4 way lug wrench or one specifically for your trailer? What have your tried that didn't work?
1998.5 E350 7.3 extended cargo with Late model doors ,power windows, locks and mirrors.Isspro gauges from DPPI, Power Slot Cryo rotors from DPPI, Hawk LTS from DPPI,NAPA DOT 4 brake fluid,NAPA calipers,Evans coolant,Dieselsite ac control valve,Dieselsite 203* thermostatat,,Amsoil dual oil filter, Rotella T-6 full synthetic oil,4 inch Warpspeed Performance exhaust,Thermo-Tec Exhaust Insulating Wrap, Bilstein shocks,Line-X 2-06-2009 103,400 miles following added Beans stage II single shot injectors, Air Dog, Beans regulated fuel return with fuel bowl delete, glow plugs and Stancor gp relay, Beans modified IDM, Stealth HPOP stage I, Dominator 66 turbo, DpTuner reflashed factory pcm that was split shot injectors to the single shots, 9 tunes from DP Tuner including decel tune,tuflocs on all doors, Snow water-methanol injection stage 3 installed by Beans Diesel, BTS tranny installed on 4-29-2010
mtnbiktn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Inc

My Photos: (0)
Re: changing flat on travel trailer

I carry a small hydraulic bottle jack and a 4 way for just such occasions.
2000 7.3 auto F-350 CC,LB,DRW, 4x4, 4:10's
ISSPRO piller mount gauges, IAH delete, DIY Tymar, Boost fooler, 203 thermostat, HX crossover, Zoodad Mod, MBRP 4" exhaust, SP Diesel EBPV Brake & TCC controler, 6.0 trans cooler, CCV Mod, WW, BTS vb, PI convertor, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, DP-Tuner no start, stock, 40t, 60t, 80e, and 120r, fumoto valve
Inc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

I carry a 4-ton floor jack with me anytime I have the trailer tied on. I also carry a 2'x4' sheet of plywood to use for a base for the jack - in case the jack will have to work in mud or sand. I've needed the floor jack a few times over the last 40 years. If you ever have a flat on the trailer without that jack, expecially if you have to change a tire in the mud while the rain is falling, then I'll bet you don't forget it in the future. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I also carry a huge hydraulic bottle jack - probably 4 tons too - but I rarely have to use it. I haul it around primarily for use when I need two jacks. For example, a coupla years ago I had to change out a trailer axle while on the road - burned up a wheel bearing which ruined the axle. Without both those jacks with me, I probably couldn't have got it done.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

i have one of those wedge blocks that you can drive one tire up on for a light trailer. if the trailer is too heavy it just smashes your one good tire. i also carry a four way wrench and make sure it fits whatever trailer i am pulling. i also carry a 20 ton bottle jack cause sometimes i carry a lot of weight.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea for trailers with dual axles, driving the other axle up onto a block takes most or all the weight off of the flat. I did that when I used to do motorhome tire changes. They make "special" plastic blocks for the job but leveling blocks or lumber work fine.

If the trailer has leveling jacks you can also use those to take some weight off of the axles.

Basically the goal is to just use your jack to pick up the axle, not the whole trailer or RV.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

I also carry a hyd floor jack when I have the trailer hooked up. The jack actually stays in the trailer along with a small pancake style air compressor. It's a race car trailer so I usually have everything I need in the event I get a flat.

Ed
04' F250 C/C, SWB, 6.0L, 4x4, True Blue/Silver
ISSPRO Gauges, Firestone Air Bags, LEER Cap, Super Liner Spray In
I love my truck.
fastzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

i used one of those wedges once and it didnt have enough lift to take the weight off of that axle. i was loaded very heavy. so i also had to put down the landing gear leg on that side and lift as much as possible to get it off. worked in a pinch but that wedge is not a good idea on a heavily loaded trailer. that is why i carry massive bottle jack now. they are cheap and small and get the job done better.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

I carry a wedge and a jack.....I have the wedge "securely" tied to the trailer frame with 3 of those big azz zip ties....

bd
2002 E-350 ext. cargo..4" DP+exhaust/gauges/ CCV mod/ AIH delete/TT mirrors wC-btr's/Racor prepump/ITP regulated return w/fuel bowl delete/tank mods/203*/timbrens/bilstein/Hella/ DP tuned/BTS trans/ alum baja wheels/cryo rotors..T-intake...335hp 385k

04 VW TDI/PD JSW..RC2, FO6 cam,17 turbo
TT, Koni's,Euro HID's,tint,
cat 2 mic f/filter,CCV/muffler/fuel filler mods,skidplate..
sixiron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Last time I went camping, I had a flat and just used the jack in my truck, the tire iron even worked with MM vs.SAE. That would not work for anything heavy though - I guess I don't get to far away from home with anything heavy.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

I carry a bottle jack. I works with anything you got on the road. The tire dont need to be that far off the ground to change. And since I carry 2x8's to aid in leveling the camper at some sites I would put it unedr the bottle jack to lift the axle on a soft ground. Floor jacks work well since they are lower to the ground and easier to pump and easier for a lot of other projects. But under any given situation and size of trailer youll find what works best for you.

Every camper carries tools with them. The more you go out the more you know what tools you need to carry with you to do repairs on the road to get you to a repair shop or off the road to a safe area and to do repairs on camper while camping if needed. I always try to carry tools that would be multi-use. What tools you will need is pretty basic............. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 5-Sp 7.3 IDI Centurion Conversion. No mods, rebilt IP and replaced injectors. Used as personal driver and pulling my RV camper.

Planned upgrades are a new and better turbo and larger exhaust pipes than the 21/2s that are already under the rig/ would like a 6 spd tranny but dont know if that is a feasable or smart investment yet.

1993 Dodge 3/4 ton Van Conversion 318CI
1978 Dodge Magnum XE T-top Classic 4BBl 400CI (Honeymoon Car)
1965 Dodge Polara 4 DR 383CI

AmaMoparmanbutlikeForrrrrdtrucks
truckdrivindave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

Through dumb luck I figured out how to change a tire without a jack.

I use a 8x8 block cut a few inches higher than the axle at normal ride height.

I rest the block against the axle and pull forward. The block pickes up the axle. Being a big block it is very sturdy.
1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
MarkEkberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just make sure you have a spare, or that the spare you have with you is the right wheel for your trailer. Especially if you have a borrowed trailer. Ask me how I know! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

short_stuff
Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Access bed cover, Bed Rug, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, 125K somewhat error-free miles (so far) [never back to dealer for anything]
Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2), driver door pwrlock actuator, water pump

2009 VW Tiguan 2.0 l turbo 200 hp gas engine (TDI engine not available for it yet)
short_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ok I give, how do you know? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 5-Sp 7.3 IDI Centurion Conversion. No mods, rebilt IP and replaced injectors. Used as personal driver and pulling my RV camper.

Planned upgrades are a new and better turbo and larger exhaust pipes than the 21/2s that are already under the rig/ would like a 6 spd tranny but dont know if that is a feasable or smart investment yet.

1993 Dodge 3/4 ton Van Conversion 318CI
1978 Dodge Magnum XE T-top Classic 4BBl 400CI (Honeymoon Car)
1965 Dodge Polara 4 DR 383CI

AmaMoparmanbutlikeForrrrrdtrucks
truckdrivindave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Floor jack (which is so heavy I think about getting a big bottle jack each time I pick it up and put it in the back of the Excursion)

Deep inpact socket of the right size for the lug nuts, to get into the dish of the wheel

28" breaker bar / flex handle. (I used to use a standard 1/2 drive ratchet and the top handle of the floor jack as a cheater pipe, but Murphy's Law says the ratchet will fail on the side of the highway. It did work well, though.)

Good idea to take the lug nuts off at home on a new trailer and apply anti-sieze to the threads. And redo this every couple of years. If you are along the side of the highway changing a flat, you've got enough problems without a stuck lug nut.

AND, after changing the tire, remember to recheck lug nuts a little ways down the road!!!
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

30-something years ago I was driving my parent's station wagon with the whole family, towing our neighbor's 16ft camping trailer, way overloaded with crap. Two hours outside of St. Louis, heading back to Texas, I had a blowout on the right side of trailer. Pulled onto shoulder and jacked up the trailer. Took the right wheel off. Pulled the spare out of its compartment, and lo and behold, it was a 5 hole rim. Wouldn't fit the 4 hole spindle on the trailer. we never bothered to check it before we left 2 weeks prior since the neighbor indicated that the trailer had a spare. Had to walk a few miles with the bad wheel to find a gas station that had a tire the correct size. Needless to say, that vacation should've been the premise for National Lampoon's Vacation movie.

short_stuff
Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Access bed cover, Bed Rug, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, 125K somewhat error-free miles (so far) [never back to dealer for anything]
Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2), driver door pwrlock actuator, water pump

2009 VW Tiguan 2.0 l turbo 200 hp gas engine (TDI engine not available for it yet)
short_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.