Compression release brake - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Do they sound different than a typical Cat/Cummins with the brake on ? As bad as they cackle with the throttle applied, I could imagine quite a racket while engine braking.
Appears to depend on the muffler quality. As a favor I drove a Freightliner cattle truck for a few months out of Or. down to northern Ca. It was very quiet for a 92 series. The old IH lo-boy was about like a Cummins noise wise. My neighbor's Pete logging truck with the 8V71 was absolutely vulgar. It either had straight stacks or rotted out mufflers, can't remember which. It was bad enough under throttle but it would wake the dead when you let the brake come on. The thrill wore off after about the third day I drove it----earplugs were mandatory. Another driver later rolled and totaled it so in later years the more restrictive noise limits were of no concern.
Just remembered, before retiring, our shop maintained about 5 brand new KW's with Silver 8V92's + Jake brakes. With the modern exhaust systems (at the time) those engines were amazingly whisper quiet, Jake and all.
Just accidently found this on Google, good electrical schematic, Jake Brake cutaway pics etc, for 71 series http://bernhardbus.com/JAKEBRAKE.html
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 03-16-2012 at 09:49 PM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
They're all good when they run. They're all junk when they don't. The 2 strokes had their uses, which, in my opinion, should not have included anything with tires on it. "Road Oilers" is what we called them in the '70's and in that respect they rarely disappointed. I took a picture of my 12V71 when I was proud of it. Must have been the first day I had it. Hung the picture on the wall. Came back an hour later and there was oil running down the wall. Still, I drove that thing from Ariz to upstate NY with a sleeve broken in half at the ports and it got me home, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
1693ta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
a group of guys from texas are working on a compression release brake for the 12valve 5.9 cummins they have video of it working off a switch right now and plan to make it a 3 stage like in the class 8s and woork off the accelorator too i believe here is a link i just stumbled upon it today its not yet released to public but they are close said price may be from 2-3 grand i will post the links of the 3 videos o there channel below

have been reading up they have the 24 valves "on the drawing board" and are also going to build for the commonrail as well have not yet decided on the 6.7's as Pacbrake already has the load leash to work in conjunction with the VGT brake. i also read that they planned to expand to Powerstroke as well but this is all early stage development i see it turning out well though hope this helps

Evan.
EDrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.