dehumidifier compressor test - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dehumidifier compressor test

Does anybody know how to test a compressor on a dehumidifier to see if it is burned up or not? My dehumidifier isn't working, and I don't know if the compressor is broke, or something telling the compressor to come on may be broke..

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Edge Evo , Airbag Suspension, K & N Home made Tymar, 4" exhaust, Ranch Hand Bumpers front and Back

Removed: SuperChip Gold... Want it?
holstein05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
The most common failure mode is for the fan shaft to seize up with crud. Start by freeing, cleaning and lubricating it.
With the case open, you should be able to hear/feel whether the compressor's running. If the hot side's hot and the cold side's cold, that confirms it.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
drcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
The most common failure mode is for the fan shaft to seize up with crud. Start by freeing, cleaning and lubricating it.

I've gotten several "free" dehumidifiers that way. At my local dump they're set aside with the refrigerators and window air conditioners so they can recycle the refrigerant before they get put in with the scrap metal.

If the fan's not turning, the unit freezes up and stops producing water, so folks just toss them. I'll grab a couple that don't look too old or beat up. About 75% of the time, I do what Doug says: give the machine basic maintenance and they're good to go again. I use them in my rental properties and they've run for years after being "resurrected."

Clean the dust outta the coil and oil the fan motor every couple years. Of course, newer models are more efficient and may save me a few bucks a month off my electric bill; but that savings will take a long time to offset the cost of new unit.
(RIP. Retired by Hurricane Irene & a real big tree.)
'01 F350 XLT, CC, 4x4, V10, SRW, LWB, Auto, 3.73LS, Island Blue, Off Road Package,
Auto Hubs & Cab Clearance Lights. Line-X Bedliner, & the "incredible self-locking tailgate." White Night Backup Lights & Volvo-eating Class V Hitch.
RightWingNutJob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Thanks ya'll.

Unfortunately there is not temp change in the two sides, so that really leads me to believe the compressor is out. The fan is fine, so looks like I am out of an unit as the compressor is the bulk of the expense...

Thanks again.

Edge Evo , Airbag Suspension, K & N Home made Tymar, 4" exhaust, Ranch Hand Bumpers front and Back

Removed: SuperChip Gold... Want it?
holstein05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
It could also be that the humidistat, reservoir float switch, compressor overheat/overload switch and/or a loose connection is turning the compressor off.
These components are relatively inexpensive and simple to diagnose & replace. Just look for where there's voltage and where there isn't, starting with the line cord and progressing toward the compressor.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.

Last edited by drcampbell; 06-17-2009 at 10:38 AM.
drcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.