Electric Impact driver phillips head bits - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electric Impact driver phillips head bits

I have just completed a project using my Makita 18v impact driver. I must have gone through about 8 or 10 phillips head bits. I know I was using the right size bit for the screw, but after driving 8 or 10 the head of the bit was eaten up and would not hold. This impact is quite strong. I was using those cheap package deal style bits from Black and Decker. I need recommendations for some really good, strong, professional grade bits that will hold up to the power of this impact driver. I am about to build a deck and at the rate I was going through these cheap bits, I would probably have to buy 50 to complete the job. thanks
KINGTUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Electric Impact driver phillips head bits

Can you post a pic of the phillips head tips you were using? There are two types of phillips head #2 bits. The original and standard is designed to pop out of the screw head when it reaches a certain torque. They suck because they end up stripping the screw head and you can't drive screws deep enough. This is standard phillips Standard phillips click on the pic and it will give you a closer look. when I use phillips I use a #2 that has a stubbier point and doesn't strip nearly as easily as the other. They usually just break off. Could be you just got crummy bits. You also have to be careful with an impact driver. They will run very fast and will strip a screw quickly if you are not careful. If your bits aren't breaking but getting beat up from stripping the screw heads I'd think you might be using the drive improperly.
1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.
NickKent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was not having any problem with the screw stripping, but the bits were as you say popping out. They are not "stubby" on the end, they are pointed, are you saying maybe I should get the stubby kind. I am no expert, but I don't think I was using it improperly, I clearly think I either had the wrong style bit, even though it fit the screw head perfectly, or they were just junk. I have never had this problem until I started using this impact. I love it and will never go back to a conventional electric screw driver.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Get the other bits. They are worlds better.
1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.
NickKent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

The stubby ends work better also get the Makita or some other high end brand works best.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree on the blunt end bits (Dewalt) but on your deck you need to get the screws with the square and/or phillips slots in the heads (Deckmate). They come with a hardened bit but I don't use it and use a #2 square bit instead. Try it you'll like it a lot better than phillips.
Joe
on edit: with the impact driver I don't know of any bits that you won't be able to snap. If it has a way to lessen the torque, turn it down a little.
Extra Trans Cooler, Before coolers trans fltr,
Coolant fltr, Crimestopper remote start/alarm
Oil Guard Bypass, Air horns
MOUNTAINMAN444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I gotta go pick up some dinner, when I get back I will post pic's of the bits and the damage they received.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok, here are the pic's of the bits after only driving about 8 or 10 screws. What do you think? Wrong kind. What do I need to go purchase. LINK
Old 12-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)

How about using the Torx head screws? I used dozens of them when I built my deck and railing and I liked them way better than Phillips.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is an article in the new Fine Homebuilding magazine on screwdriver tips. I'd give more info but its in the truck and too lazy to go get it, wife cooked an awesome meal. There are different types and sizes obviously. But I didn't realize some were forged and the price reflects that as they are in 2-3 dollar range each. The ones you are using must be on the cheap side. I've driven screws all day long with my 14 volt Makita Impact and only broken a couple tips. Granted its not an electric.

Square drives work great also.

12/98, CC, XLT, LB, 4x4, 7.3, 6sp, '06 front end, 4" front springs, Bilsteins, DiPricol Pyro,Boost and Fuel Gauges, 35" Toyo, SouthBend Con-O, 197,000 miles, 4" exhaust, Performance Friction rotors and pads, DP F5 chip, RedHead steering box

BWD Turbonetics .84 Quickspool Turbo/Spearco
EBPV Deleted
Dieselsite BRV+, Intercooler boots
Banks Tubes
Terminator
ITP Reg. Return, Intank, and Delete

2008 Hudson 7 ton GN
2002 JCB 212s
2004 A300 Bobcat
barnbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am all in for some forged tips, just don't know where to buy them. I also think the torx suggestion is a good one. This impact drives screws like they are going through butter, so I know there is a lot of pressure on the bit. I was using very expensive screws and therefore even when the bits were slipping the head was not damaged. I just need to get a bit/screw system that can handle the power of this impact, cause in no way no fashion am I going back to a conventional battery powered screw driver. I was driving 3 inch screws in about two seconds. Means a lot to me, both time and effort.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you want to wait, I will bring it in tomorrow when I get home and post.

12/98, CC, XLT, LB, 4x4, 7.3, 6sp, '06 front end, 4" front springs, Bilsteins, DiPricol Pyro,Boost and Fuel Gauges, 35" Toyo, SouthBend Con-O, 197,000 miles, 4" exhaust, Performance Friction rotors and pads, DP F5 chip, RedHead steering box

BWD Turbonetics .84 Quickspool Turbo/Spearco
EBPV Deleted
Dieselsite BRV+, Intercooler boots
Banks Tubes
Terminator
ITP Reg. Return, Intank, and Delete

2008 Hudson 7 ton GN
2002 JCB 212s
2004 A300 Bobcat
barnbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just a thought, but where you but the screws, ask for the correct bits. Someone mentioned above about the flat tip, and that made all the difference in the world when I built a fence.

A bit of extra $ for the bits would not hurt either.

Craig

67 Fairlane 500, 347 Stroker, AOD trans, 3.25 rear end... work in progress. I am looking for parts that I thought I had so carefully put away...............

Work "Truck" 110 foot, 1999 Spartan/ LTI quint, Detroit Series 60, Allison auto. Work "Engine" 06 Pierce Arrow, Detroit Series 60, 475 horse, Allison Auto. Work Medic unit, 08 E450 6.0 by Northstar.
shelbyandadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I always buy the Hilti impact bits and I can get a good life out of them.
If you're building a deck you really shouldn't be using an impact driver anyways. A standard drill with a driver bit in it will work so much better when putting longer screws in to wood.
mike1000001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 12:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Mike_</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A standard drill with a driver bit in it will work so much better when putting longer screws in to wood. </div></div>

Maybe that is where I am missing this. I have a Bosch 18v Screwdriver, but once I used the impact driver it just seemed effortless to drive the screws, whereas otherwise I was always fighting them. That is why I prefer the impact. What am I missing? I am not contradicting you, I just don't understand. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.