How do I resurrect my black and decker firestorm 18v batteries? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I resurrect my black and decker firestorm 18v batteries?

I hear there is a way to get these batteries to hold a charge again. Any idea? I am trying to avoid dropping down 50 bucks in batteries. Thanks
2002 F-250, PSD 6-speed, CC, short bed, 4X4, Toreador Red w/ Silver accent, A.R.E mx cap, Weld Super Single II and 33s in the summer, x-springs, F-350 blocks and badges, AIC, proflaps, ITP intank mod, AirDog with 3 micron filter, isspro guages and TTM, scangauge, husky liners, alarm, xm stereo,stull 5399-p grille, centramatics, ccv mod, AIS Air Filter, Southbend CON O, Detroit Truetrac LSD, coolant filter, 203 stat with billet housing, blackcloud intake heater plug/boost fitting, reese titan hitch, fabcraft PTO cover/temp sender port, prodigy brake controller, ITP Boost Annihalator, oilguard bypass filter, Mag-Hytec rear dif, bilsteins, hellwig rear stabilizer bar, ATS housing, non-ebpv pedistal and exhaust flange, magnaflow 3.5dp exhaust, ITP reg return, turbomaster wastegate controller, and ceramic coated bellowed up pipes, PHP 50t and 80p, currently 105,000 miles.
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
i have the same question for makita 14.4 batteries. they are at the point of charging them and after resting for a day there is little or no charge.

Scott
Y2K 350 WEDGEWOOD BLUE/HARVEST GOLD CC DRW LB AUTO 4X4 ESOF LARIAT AMSOIL DUAL BYPASS, AMSOIL FLUIDS, REESE 20K FIFTH WHEEL HITCH, BD BRAKELOC, BD PRESSURELOC, PRODIGY P3 BRAKE CONTROL, RANCHO 9000'S PULLING 2002 CEDARCREEK 362BBS, 2002 BRIMAR 5 TON DUMP OR 2006 APPALACHIAN 24' GOOSENECK DECK OVER.
bgirls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
LC

Send a message via AIM to LC
I have been told that Batteries Plus may be able to rebuild them. Don't quote me on that however. I haven't taken mine in yet.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've tried to run the batteries flat; clamping the trigger on, then recharging and then completely discharging again, it's never made a difference - when the battery stops holding a good long charge it's time for new batteries, however the replacement batteries often cost more than the drill did originally.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
I've tried to run the batteries flat; clamping the trigger on, then recharging ...
For reconditioning to be successful, it has to be on a cell-by-cell basis. You can't do the entire battery pack at once.

When a dormant cell won't hold a charge overnight, it's all but certain that it's suffering from dendrite growth.
(see Can you shock a cell phone battery? )

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.

Last edited by drcampbell; 02-05-2008 at 07:30 AM.
drcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Not trying to be overly picky - but I thought that the branched growths that occur in batteries were called "Dendrites" from the from Greek word "dendron," which means "tree.."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'01 F350 XLT, CC, 4x4, V10, SRW, LWB, Auto, 3.73LS, Island Blue, Off Road Package,
Auto Hubs & Cab Clearance Lights. Autometer water temp, tranny temp, & vaccuum
gauges. Line-X Bedliner, & the "incredible self-locking tailgate." White Night Backup
Lights & Volvo-eating Class V Hitch. Reverse Sensors.
RightWingNutJob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob View Post
... I thought that the branched growths that occur in batteries were called "Dendrites" ...
Right you are. I have corrected my posts on the topic.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.

Last edited by drcampbell; 02-05-2008 at 12:47 PM.
drcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Batteries Plus rebuilt my Milwaukee 18 volt packs. At the time, 1 yr ago, they could only rebuild the packs if they had removable tops with screws. If its sealed, they would not attempt the rebuild.
ENZO1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZO1 View Post
Batteries Plus rebuilt my Milwaukee 18 volt packs. At the time, 1 yr ago, they could only rebuild the packs if they had removable tops with screws. If its sealed, they would not attempt the rebuild.
Some may, we've had one guy carefully cut it open with a razor blade and repair them before.

The Rigid stuff at home depot though warantees the batteries forever though...

Ford 1992 E-350, 6,900 lbs.
Dodge 1997 Ram 3500
Ford 2005 F-350
yaric008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send them here for a rebuild, good quick service.

NiCad Lady - Radio Battery - Rebuilt Radio Batteries - Laptop Batteries - Cellphone Batteries - Camcorder Batteries - Flashlight Batteries
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.