muriatic acid to clean aluminum - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
muriatic acid to clean aluminum

A few years ago I cleaned my trailer with acid bought at a truck wash. Just brushed it on and rinsed . I now have a gallon of muriatic acid that was given to me. It is much stronger than what I had, it fumes and when it touches something. I assume it can be diluted. Can I clean my trailer with it and what ratio should I dilute it with water.
fieldtrialer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't know about cleaning aluminum but it works great on masonry. You can dilute it with water and try a small part and see what it does and see if it has any harmful effects on the aluminum and go from there. You can also
Google it and get some answers.

Jim
Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

muriatic acid is as close to hydrocloric acid as you can get,,,,sulfuric acid eats aluminum!,,all the way,,nothing left....i wouldn't do it

Last edited by Lone20; 08-27-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: wrong type acid
Lone20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just spoke with someone that totally agrees with you he said it can also turn the alum. black.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldtrialer View Post
I just spoke with someone that totally agrees with you he said it can also turn the alum. black.
IT wont turn the aluminum black it will turn it white with black streaks. This is a process best left to a pro. I have 5 gall of aluminum acid was that i have had for several years now. I wont dare open the barrel.

Citric brightener works so much better and does much less damage.

If you must use either product it has to be done on a cool day less than 70 Deg. hose the trailer top top bottom don't be shy flood it.

Dilute whatever cleaner your going to use to its least potent form and Apply as recommended. DO NOT LET IT STAND AND DRY.

RINCE RINSE and Rinse some more.
1994 7.3 I.D.I.T. factory turbo, auto 2x4 DRW with lots of upgrades, 11 transmissions under 100K factory warranty. 280,000 miles Currently Cavitated and parked.
96 F-800 24'flat 5.9L cummins, 4spd allison juice brakes.
89 F-800 6.6L 5+2 27,00lbs light weight with National 556A crane behind the cab.
2006 T800 KW 550 C-15 18spd 22K front, 52K rears murray ramps, 195" W.B. CA spec heavy haul SOLD
2006 Murray 16 tire professional lowbed SOLD
1996 fetherlite 4 horse GN, Walton 18' 14K tag tilt equipment trailer.
Dualie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Do not, under any circumstances use muriatic or hydrochloric acid for aluminum. As others have said, you'll end up with black or black steaks (depending on the alloy) and the structural integrity of the aluminum may be compromised as well. I'd recommend a cleaner designed for alloy rims- they're usually like you described, brush on and spray off. Use the muriatic on your concrete but keep it away from your vehicles (31 years in the surface finishing/plating arena).

Keith
93 F350 CC Dually 7.3 Hypermax turbo 4:10 gears, ZF rower, K&N filter, home made ram-air, Hypermax 3.5" exhaust, LUK clutch, 150,000 mi.
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks to everone I dodged the bullet on this one. I bought some acid from a local truck wash, followed his directions and the trailer looks real good. I have one small section that sort of has a runny shadow. I thought I will do it again just in that spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.