The Diesel Stop banner

New member here, Requesting E4OD help

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  1997fordf250 
#1 ·
Good Morning Gentlemen,
I have been going through the searches here on this forum for help related to my issue. I do not have a diesel. I do have a F150 however. I have been chasing this issue for the past year and a half. I do not know where else to go in my troubleshooting. I have been going through the pinpoint tests in accordance with the 1996 F Series tech manual here but have not come to any solid conclusions. I have a code 633 for the 4x4 switch in Low. I have a manual Transfer case. So I don't know why this would be an issue. The truck will not shift by itself. I have to do it from 2 to D with OD off and then go to OD. PSOM has been calibrated to the 33's, VSS is good ( no shake in the needle unless at 65-70 then its very slight), Speed Control works just fine. MLPS was replaced with a Ford part a year ago, no change. Just did it again yesterday with Pinpoint Test D. TPS is new, Tested iaw spec. Map sensor tests fine although I couldn't go through the range with a vacuum pump. I borrowed a Meter that tests HZ but my pump broke.
I am asking for help here. I know there is a Ford Transmission engineer here. I would love your help sir along with anyone elses. I do not know if this is allowed but I have the whole history on this link here(F150 Online/ Pre 1997 models/no-power-horrible-surging. Sorry it wont let me paste the link ). Please let me know if someone has something I am missing. I am about thinking either I have a bad PCM or something internal to the transmission. I do not want to give up on this truck but I am close. It is costing me weekends with my family.
Thanks for reading.

See less See more
#3 ·
My first question is, "What are you concerned about?" You've talked a lot about what you have tested, but I don't see what's wrong. Also, it would help a great deal to know what transmission you have. It's either a 4R70W or a 4R100. Look in the driver's door opening for the data tag. Under TR will be either a "U" or an "E." "U" is 4R70W and "E" is 4R100.

#4 ·
Good Morning.
I have a 1995 F150 5.8L with the E4OD with 205,000 miles. The problem I have is when i place it in D the truck will not drive on its own. The RPM's surge and fall a few times until it just sits at 1000 RPM and just chugs along trying to build up speed. It will NOT shift on its own. I have no automatic shift from first to second, second to third, third to fourth. If I shift on my own starting in 2 on the indicator below the speedometer, it will shift between first and second. As I understand it, first and second are hydraulically operated. Third and fourth are electronic which is why I think it is some sensor or electrical gremlin somewhere. If I build up enough speed for example in 2, shift to Drive which is technically third gear but the traffic light turns red and i have to stop the truck will NOT drive away on its own and kickdown to first. I have to shift it to 2. This thing is acting like a manual transmission completely. It is putting wear on the shifter stalk so much that now i have to come out of Park and into another gear and go back to Park to get it to make contact in there to start the truck.
I do have a video of it. I will try to get it uploaded.
The 4wd indicator lights work as they are supposed to. 4LO lights up when shifted to 4LO. 4HI as well. 2wd all lights go off and also when you shift to Neutral.

#5 ·
That's exactly what happens when there is no power to the shift solenoids. With the key on check for power at the transmission connector on the passengers side of the trans.

#6 ·
Thanks Mark
That is the next thing I was curious about but all the research I found has you going into the pan to put 12v on each solenoid unless you had a pigtail available.
I will have to find the different wires and see what each one does. I will tackle that this weekend.

#7 ·
Click each of these & read the captions:

. . . . . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.