PVC to copper compression fittings - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PVC to copper compression fittings

I have a PVC compression fitting coupling into the copper water inlet line in my house. The compression fitting was used because of the fire concern in the close space involved with a sweat fitting, A year after the compression fitting was installed it started leaking. Wouldn't you know I was traveling when it happened and a flooded room occurred. I found the compression nut was loose and tightening stopped the leak. Now, six months later it is leaking again. I'm traveling again but the house sitter caught it and the leak is small so the water is being caught until I get home. Do these fittings loosen with time or is there something I don't know about using them? I do know that codes do not allow them in a sealed wall but have seen a professional plumber repair a line in a wall with one. Is my only recourse sweating a fitting onto the copper and making sure all burning wood. etc. is extinguished?
2010 Ram 3500 Cummins, AT, 4x4, CC, LB, Line-X, B&W Turn Over Ball, RBW Lil Rocker modified to fit B&W, Milemarker hyd. winch. Elkhorn 9VS slide-in, Nomad 24 ft. fifth/w slide, Century topper, old classic Sooner 18' 4 horse stock trailer. StarFlyte by DynaMax 6.8 V10.
Formerly: 97 F-250 SC LB PSD. 4x4, With lots of Goodies. Twas a good truck.
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Larry
Larry S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Re: PVC to copper compression fittings

Why not use a metal compression fitting instead of the PVC one, or is there not one made that will fit? I am assuming that you are joining two pieces of copper right? I am guessing that the constant warming and cooling cycles are causing the PCV to loosen. Cool water when it is flowing and then warms while static and near the water heater.
Rick:Red 97 F350 CC DRW 4.10/LS E4OD, 28,000GVW trans cooler w/170F thermostat, remote ATF filter, Mobil 1 ATF, Sonnax valve & Tricum springs, Tymar Hi Performance Open Air Intake System W/Donaldson B085011 filter, IH water pump w/integrated coolant filter, BD downpipe & BD 4" cat back exhaust, "SWAMPED", Tymar HX mod, Tymar/Bill's 4 posn. "flip-chip" (this bad boy rocks), Isspro EV gages in 3 hole PITA Pod, "Harpooned" Fuel tanks, Bilstein shocks, Gutted EBPV, Alpine CDA-9825 head unit, Pioneer TS-A1671R 6 1/2" 220W Front, Pioneer TS-A6880R 6"X8" 240W rear, FOKISD member, Beavercreek, Ohio (near Dayton)
BigRed CC Dually is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Sounds like a job for " Sharkbite connection system ".
toalpi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

From copper to PVC I have always used a threaded fitting, take it out and use Male/female adapters.

1987 E250 Quadravan 4x4 6.9 IDI C6 Banks Turbo, Gearvendor, and U.S. Gear Exhaust Brake
DragRag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've only seen PVC Compression fittings work over time on electrical systems (and not real well until they went to fiberglass reinforcing like Carlon plastics) and would not believe they are strong enough for a pressure fitting like that. PVC has creep properties and it will not maintain physical integrity over a long time under any but a minimum of strain.

That's just one reason why they don't use PVC rod as reinforcing in concrete.....

Florida Ed

2001 7.3 F-350 Dually Lariat CC LWB 4X2 Dark Green 4.10 4R100 5'ver Hauler (32' Montana 2 slides 10,500# - 2,000# tongue weight), 106 gal aux tank, 198K miles, nephews arguing over who will inherit it 'cause I'm gonna' drive it 'til I die. Bone stock.

SOLD 2001 5.4 Gasser F-250 XLT Crewcab SWB 4X2 3.73 4R100 98K miles headed to 150K stock as the day it was made

Before these: '00 F-250 CC PSD, '97 F-250 CC PSD, '94 Ford F-150, '91 Ford E-250, '81 Ford E-150, '66 Ford F-100 (cars not included)
FloridaEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
rmr

I had the same scenario at my first house. It was on 1" copper pipe, I had to go to a plumbing supply warehouse and get 1" compression fittings that were made of brass or bronze or something like that. Worked great, never leaked, expensive, $15 each and that was 15 years ago.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.