Starting Bush hogging business any advice? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to edub32
Starting Bush hogging business any advice?

Well I'm going to be starting my bush hogging business here soon and I needed some advice. I'm wanting to use an old tractor hopefully diesel of course. I'm also wanting to restore one so I would like to find an inexpensive one that needs some repairs..any suggestions of where I could find one? I've been told to not buy a "tricycled wheel" tractor for bushhogging. Is this because they are more prone to flip over? Also what are some decent rates I should charge. Any more advice would greatly be appreciated. I always like a second opinion.
- DP Tuner, Tymar intake, 35" BFG Mudders on 16x10 Mickey T's, Superlift 6" lift, DiPricol 3 gauge Pillar, 4" SS DP to 5" sidepipe to 6" Chrome tip, WW, Panasonic Deck with 4xInfinity References, Overboost Elim., CCV
edub32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Starting Bush hogging business any advice?

Theres alot of up's and down's in brush hogging, and alot of stobs, holes, hills, etc. I would get a nice old diesel tractor, and spend money on some heavy duty tires, stobs and lots of thorns, limbs etc. will tear up tires in a heart beat. My suggestion on price would be 50$ an acre,+ or - depending on difficulty.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Definitely stay away from a tricycle tractor. They'll roll on you in a heartbeat. I don't know how hot it gets in Ohio, but in Georgia an enclosed cab with AC would be very nice. In the sun with the engine heat blowing back on you, you'll cook (or at least I do). The pastures around here are hilly and terraced so 4wd is nice. Go ahead and spend the money on a heavy duty Bush Hog brand rotary mower. It'll pay for its self in the long run. I can't tell you how much to charge, I've done it for free and I do it for me but not for hire.
Be safe, Joe
Extra Trans Cooler, Before coolers trans fltr,
Coolant fltr, Crimestopper remote start/alarm
Oil Guard Bypass, Air horns
MOUNTAINMAN444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

People around here usually charge by the hour based on tractor / hog size.

Call around and see what the competition is charging.

Old fella I used to help years ago got $25 an hour for a 56 hp tractor and 7' bushog, for instance. he tended to be on the cheap side too but made decent money.

He also rode the tractor wherever - i.e. all his jobs were close. Might have to factor in travel time if you go county wide.

Agreed on buying a quality hog. downtime will kill you, business wise.
cbuttre835 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Definitely get a good cutting unit, but think about having a back up one too if something happens. Instead of down time just put on the other unit and keep mowing
1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.
NickKent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Definately find a good old heavy bushhog. One with laminated tires. I'm indifferent to size, but I think 8' would be as big as I would want to go. And I do favor 3 pt hitch bush hog because of the way you can control them. You don't have to worry about turning to sharp with them, you can back them into whatever, don't have to worry about falling off the side of the ditch, etc.

Pricing. I'd charge $10 per bush hog ft per hour. 5 ft bush hog = $50 per hour. 10 ft bush hog = $100 per hour, etc. And I also recommend around 9-10 hp per bush hog ft for power. Be sure and get a bush hog that's wider than your tractor. Makes trimming so much easier.

Go slow and do a good job. Sharpen your blades every once in a while. Maybe offer trimming with a weed whacker.
DieselDennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

Don't forget to walk/drive the property first also. You'll discover all those blade killing obstacles like chunks of concrete, tree stumps and other Discovery Channel items of nature. Nuttin like watching a blade wrinkle like it's been in an overloaded washing machine....

Some of my co-workers encountered and learned the hard way so at least a drive thru for a quick overview.

Take care.....

C-man
2003 7.3 CC XLT Sport short box 2wd dark shadow gray ,AIS Intake Kit, MBRP 4" w/3.5" D/P & 5" SS tip;Wicked Wheel ;Ultra Duty Aluminum Diff.cover JNB kit "HUTCH MOD" and Dahl 100 fuel filter. Silverstar lamps,203 T-stat w/Red billet housing. Fumoto DV w/nipple, AIH mod, Zoodad, Amsoil BMK-11 Oil ByPass Kit,fuel reg. shim @ 0.055 for 65-68 psi. Harpooned tank,Hx Mod, Coolant Filter, Po'man's Fx mod,CCV mod & 6.0 tranny cooler! Pull Rite Super Glide 14k Hitch.

Saved by Grace, not by choice

6 turning, 2 burning-Love the smell of JP-4
CH-47C Super 'C' 73'-75'
Chinookman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with not using a NFE but for different reasons than the tractor can roll-over easier. This is a hotly debated topic on all tractor forums and unless Your working slopes You have great difficulty WALKING up You can drive a NFE tractor up & down them as long as Your rear tires are slid out on the wheels or axles approriately. The closely spaced front tires knock down the weeds & grass Your trying to mow and a day after You've mowed it stands back up and looks bad. Only way around this is to mow again a day or two later in a different set of tracks or different direction.
Buy a BUSH HOG brand of cutter...they're the heaviest-duty made. My Buddy bought a twin spindle 8 ft Bush Hog pull-type a year ago. It's built REALLY heavy. He uses a 50-55 HP Allis Chalmmers D-17 diesel to run it and it has it's hands FULL in anything much over a foot tall. He's looking for something Orange (Allis) in the 80-90 HP range and LOW Profile to pull it with now. He has some SERIOUS hills & ditches on the 100 acres He mows.
With todays $2.75/$2.95/gal. diesel fuel the idea of $10/hour per foot of cut is a good place to start on costs. Say You get a 60-70 HP tractor, and a 7 ft 3-point hitch cutter, and can run about 4 mph while doing a good job mowing You can cover about 3 acres/hr. In lighter cover You can run faster, normally up to 6 mph and cover almost 4-1/2 acres/hr. But Your burning depending on load probably 4 gal. of fuel/hour. Plus Your time, grease & oil for the equipment, the inevitable repairs.
Another piece of advice on the tractor, a Row Crop tractor is taller and the heat from the engine & rearend effects the operator MUCH less on hot days but a low profile utility tractor is more stable, normally smaller, shorter, & lighter but on hot days will fry You like egg.
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Send a message via AIM to edub32

Thanks for the advice guys. How should I go about charging for travel? I'm hoping that I will get some business out of town.
- DP Tuner, Tymar intake, 35" BFG Mudders on 16x10 Mickey T's, Superlift 6" lift, DiPricol 3 gauge Pillar, 4" SS DP to 5" sidepipe to 6" Chrome tip, WW, Panasonic Deck with 4xInfinity References, Overboost Elim., CCV
edub32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

A front end loader is not a bad idea when you're mowing unknown parts/fields. Kept low, they will prevent the front end from dropping into a ditch, and they can also be use to push/bulldoze obstacles that might be hiding in the weeds. Every time I've started a new field I went slow with the loader close to the ground, and twice now I've found hidden trees and a complete tire & wheel that otherwise would have made for an expensive repair.

The Bush Hog brand of mowers is solid, with wide dealer support. However, if you want indestuctible, I'd suggest either the Brown or Rhino brands. Brown's Shredder models, as well as the 600 series of cutters, are absolute beasts, and Rhino offers mowers capable of cutting material up to 6in in diameter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Oops, forgot to add about travel....I'd suggest calling local rental yards and tractor dealers and asking how much they charge to deliver equipment. That would give you an idea of the going rate in your area, and you can price your travel charges accordingly. Jsut make sure to factor in the time, fuel, insurance and wear/tear on your tow rig & trailer.

- Jay
Diesel Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Another suggestion since You mentioned using an older tractor....Don't get one Too old....Antique prices are HIGH....parts are scarce, and You definitely want power steering, live PTO & hydraulics. Anything from say about 1960 & newer in the 70-100 hp range should have these options in the major AG manufacturers.
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

You gotta make at least $30 per hour - and you can charge the fuel usage to and from the site and for the tractor.

Like was said - do not believe land owner that there is nothing in field.

let me say this again....

DO NOT believe the land owner that there is nothing in field.

Have a slip clutch on the shredder and still carry extra drive pins.

I have even put a seat belt on - when you are cutting 4' high weeds on a side hill and can't see the hole coming up - it can be a clencher - so don't worry about changing up your pattern for safety - most people don;t ask you to come out till it;s too late.....

Anyway - good luck and save up for a canopy.

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

A good comfortable seat, safety belt, rollover bar and power steering along with the above other suggestions will make it a fun job. Definately not a tricycle tractor, they can flip in an instant in rough terrain, even turning to fast. Don't forget about our rotten Ohio sales tax on services, different tax in different areas--ie. cities,counties and townships. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

dont do it.its a hot job
Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

As far as a brush hog goes, go with a chain style cutter. If you go blade the first rock you hit wipes out the seal in the unit and you are dumping gear lube in there all the time.

A chain goes over the rocks and flexes v/s a rigid blade.
1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
MarkEkberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.